The Atkinson 'View-Line'

ERF-NGC-European:
I note that ■■■■■■■■ RR and Gardner engines were used. What were the pairings, if any, of engine / gearbox on the View-lines (eg. Gardner / David Brown; ■■■■■■■ / Fuller)? Robert

The 4x2 and 6x2 tractors could have the usual Gardner, ■■■■■■■ and RR options, with various David Brown 6 or 10-speed behind them, or a ZF 6-speed for the ■■■■■■■ and RR options, not to mention a Self Changing Gears option on a 6x2 tractor and on the nine 4x2 tractors for Pickfords

The 45T 6x4s usually had a 250 ■■■■■■■ with a 6-speed gearbox (they weren’t into Fuller at that stage), whilst the 75-tonner built for PHH was 250 ■■■■■■■ and 15-speed Fuller.

The 38T 6x4 tractor exhibited at Earls Court in 1968 had a 220 Rolls and a David Brown 10-speed, whilst the 4x2 shown was a 6LXB Gardner and 6-speed Brown

DEANB:
Well done Chris !! :laughing: The main reason i was badgering you Chris is that i did not know anything about
the Viewline,and had pretty much forgotten about them until you posted a pic of one. The thing that raised
my intrest was that you said the factory reckoned they made around 200,but you reckoned that figure
was wrong and it was less than that. Therefore a bit Like Robert’s Europeans i thought it would be
intresting to see what we could find out about them. Maybe do a register like Robert has for the
Europeans,and see how many between us we can find ? :unamused:

I half-heartedly did one, years ago, but I found some more after that! The quote of 200 wasn’t an official factory figure, just someone at the factory giving his opinion.

Bizarrely, when mine was rebuilt, we got a retired ex-Atkinson cab shop man to build the frame for us, and he reckoned he’d never seen one before! I showed him a factory
photo of one in build in the cab shop, and he recognised the chap working on it but still reckoned that he couldn’t remember the View-Line cab itself!

I wonder if Paul Gee ever captured one at work, other than a pensioned-off wrecker conversion?

240 Gardner:
There is a photo on Flickr, perhaps of the same one, in Sullivans yard - the most unlikely motor to take to Jeddah!! Surely it wasn’t driven out there too??
It had a 220 ■■■■■■■ and a 10-speed Self Changing Gears (“Wilson”) gearbox, semi-auto rather than pre-select, and was one of a batch of nine built for Pickfords. The motor in question was AMH 539H, and there’s a photo, with text, here:

Could be the same one 240 but it looked much tidier & cleaner than the photo - I seem to remember a short casting attached to the steering column with a switch for gear selection, but it’s a long time ago.

And no it wasn’t driven to Jeddah, it went out from Felixtowe pulling a 40ft extendable to 60ft, loaded with 2 solid tyre bogies, a steel bed for use with the bogies and two dustcarts on top, wish I’d taken a photo as it was quite a jigsaw puzzle loading it all on, and to my mind a complete waste of money :unamused:

240 Gardner:

DEANB:
Were they only built as artic units ? Was this one factory built or stretched Chris ■■

It was artic only, with that one exception, and which was a special one-off build for the RTITB:

Thanks for confirming Chris.

240 Gardner:

DEANB:
Well done Chris !! :laughing: The main reason i was badgering you Chris is that i did not know anything about
the Viewline,and had pretty much forgotten about them until you posted a pic of one. The thing that raised
my intrest was that you said the factory reckoned they made around 200,but you reckoned that figure
was wrong and it was less than that. Therefore a bit Like Robert’s Europeans i thought it would be
intresting to see what we could find out about them. Maybe do a register like Robert has for the
Europeans,and see how many between us we can find ? :unamused:

I half-heartedly did one, years ago, but I found some more after that! The quote of 200 wasn’t an official factory figure, just someone at the factory giving his opinion.

Bizarrely, when mine was rebuilt, we got a retired ex-Atkinson cab shop man to build the frame for us, and he reckoned he’d never seen one before! I showed him a factory
photo of one in build in the cab shop, and he recognised the chap working on it but still reckoned that he couldn’t remember the View-Line cab itself!

I wonder if Paul Gee ever captured one at work, other than a pensioned-off wrecker conversion?

Unbelievable that fella could not remember the View-Line ■■ :open_mouth: :wink:

No body at Fallings park can remember 240LXB Big J’s being built but apparently there was circa 40 produced :blush: Cheers Bewick.

240 Gardner:

ERF-NGC-European:
I note that ■■■■■■■■ RR and Gardner engines were used. What were the pairings, if any, of engine / gearbox on the View-lines (eg. Gardner / David Brown; ■■■■■■■ / Fuller)? Robert

The 4x2 and 6x2 tractors could have the usual Gardner, ■■■■■■■ and RR options, with various David Brown 6 or 10-speed behind them, or a ZF 6-speed for the ■■■■■■■ and RR options, not to mention a Self Changing Gears option on a 6x2 tractor and on the nine 4x2 tractors for Pickfords

The 45T 6x4s usually had a 250 ■■■■■■■ with a 6-speed gearbox (they weren’t into Fuller at that stage), whilst the 75-tonner built for PHH was 250 ■■■■■■■ and 15-speed Fuller.

The 38T 6x4 tractor exhibited at Earls Court in 1968 had a 220 Rolls and a David Brown 10-speed, whilst the 4x2 shown was a 6LXB Gardner and 6-speed Brown

Cheers! Robert :slight_smile:

Our good friend john goodreid Atkinson gathering 1990

dad took this up and john took his 8 wheeler tanker

RIP

My dad in his viewline M1 north toddington
taken in 1970 by mr peter davies pic used with his permission

good job he didn’t work for me with the state of that sheeting

Mike P
dads viewline.jpg

Mike Ponsonby:

RIP 0

And another shot the same day, with half a View-Line next to it!

The driver is the late Pete Davison, aka ‘Atkiman’, and John’s Defender is in the background

BelleVue1990 by Chris Gardner, on Flickr

that’s me trying to figure out how to get out of the bloody thing

quote=“240 Gardner”]

Mike Ponsonby:

RIP 0

The driver is the late Pete Davison, aka ‘Atkiman’, and John’s Defender is in the background

[/quote]

quote=“240 Gardner”]

Mike Ponsonby:

RIP 0

[/quote]

Mike Ponsonby:

Ah, that was a knack :wink:

Bewick:
No body at Fallings park can remember 240LXB Big J’s being built but apparently there was circa 40 produced :blush: Cheers Bewick.

Ah, but there are pics of the View-Line :wink:

A Pickfords 6x4 here with a 250 ■■■■■■■ and 6-sp constant-mesh ZF. Robert

250 ■■■■■■■ and 6 speed ZF constant.jpg

A couple of photos of the prototype View-Line under construction in 1966:

It had a number of differences when compared with the production versions, the most obvious being the replacement of the chrome grilles with a dummy radiator, as used on the Mk.2 cab.

When you look carefully, though, you can see that the roof is a different shape, as are the upper front wings (with different shaped vents). The rear wings hinged out on the prototype too, for (relatively) easy access to the engine, but these were deleted on the production cab and replaced by fixed, bolt-on panels.

This was also the first use of the ‘tin’ bumper and the illuminated headboard with notches for the wiper spindles, both later fitted to Mk.2 cabs.

By way of comparison, here’s the production version:

Ethel1986Penninesmall.jpg

Did they have a flat floor ? If so they could have started a trend the Magnum and quite a few others followed years later :wink:

ramone:
Did they have a flat floor ? If so they could have started a trend the Magnum and quite a few others followed years later :wink:

Not quite, but nearly!

4064533570_0c1bd0aff0_b.jpg

Training vehicle.

Click on page twice to view.

DEANB:
Training vehicle.

What a gem!! Thanks Dean, I didn’t even know about CJJ 409H - 408H was new to North Manchester Training Group and later moved onto Ribble Valley, and I bought the remains of it for spares in 1986.

408H was featured in the Atkinson house magazine when new:

240 Gardner:

DEANB:
Training vehicle.

What a gem!! Thanks Dean, I didn’t even know about CJJ 409H - 408H was new to North Manchester Training Group and later moved onto Ribble Valley, and I bought the remains of it for spares in 1986.

No worries chap ! :laughing: :laughing: :wink: