The art of reversing

After 2 weeks driving Class1 i feel i am getting the basics
of driving ( forward that is ).
Reversing is another subject.
Ask me to reverse in a near straight line - no problem.
Ask me to reverse into a marked bay and i have
a slight problem.
I seem to be able to reverse perfectly into the bay
next to the one i want.
i.e. tell me to put it into bay 4 and i usually put it
perfectly into bay 3.
i seem to start the reverse off perfectly but seem unable to
straighten the reverse when i want to and end up in a bigger
arc than i need ( if you understand ).
What am i doing wrong.

from what you are saying it seems that you are not taking the steering lock of fast enough. or you are applying to much lock in the first place.
my advice on loading bays is this.
when you get the bay number pull up next to it and have a good look around you. then think to yourself, what would be the best direction for the unit to be facing when i pull forward and stop. ideally you want to stop with the tractor unit facing the direction were you can just start to reverse and take a bit of lock off to bring her round and straighten up,
however do not worry about it as it will come with time and practice.
enjoy the driving and dont worry about the reversing :wink:

I agree with Dave, you are not striaghting the unit early enough. Were you trained on a 2 axle unit and now drive a 3 axle one?
Smoothly does it is the real secret, small movement of the wheel to gently guide the truck rather than full lock to start then having to use full lock the other way to try and correct the oversteer.
Mainly don’t get to many hang ups over it as it does come with pratice and most drivers find it difficult at first. :wink: I know I did and still have days were I just can’t get it right. :smiley:

Practice as much reversing between lines on pavement first, and force yourself to do it by mirror only. You can always hang your head out the window, but that doesn’t tell you what’s happening on the “blindside”, and will mark you as being a rookie.

You will get it right one day, Practise makes perfect and messing up now and then is nothing to be ashamed of, I see people who have been driving for years make a ■■■■ up now and then and I’m the first to admit that this has happened to me and still does on rare occasions.
Just keep going and don’t take any notice of others who you think are laughing. I was reversing a 45ft step frame, tri axle in to a tight theatre one night and a guy I hated was laughing because I took two attempts, then when it was hit turn the idiot took down a water storage tank and a tellegraph pole :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Sometimes it went on first time (I drive a rigid now), some times you take a load of shunts (usually when someone’s watching). The main thing is not to “technically redesign” anything - like, ahem a church wall when the Vicar’s watching for instance :unamused: :open_mouth: (he didn’t half utter some ungodly remarks :laughing: ).

I rang the gaffer and said “I’ve technically redesigned a church wall.” He said made the mistake of saying “what as?”

I said “crazy paving :grimacing: .”

It’ll all come togeather with time and practice. Just take your time and get out and look. You’ll be fine :wink: .

david,the easiest way of all with your temporary problem is aim for bay 3 and you will get it into bay 4 which was your intention anyway…(just pulling ya leg mate :wink: ) :laughing:

It took me ages to get it right. In the end, I used to use all the room that was available. Pull out as far as you can, to take a longer curve. Keep your foot off the accelerator…the engine is big enough to tick over on the clutch. Let it tick over and very slowly let it turn the way you want it to go. Keep stopping to re-evaluate and re-plan. Use small turns of the wheel…nothing like you need in a class 2. Think of the wheel as a clock face, and try turning the wheel between 1/4 to and 1/4 past. When you think the backend is heading in the direction you want it to go in, take some of the lock off and see what happens.

One good way is to study the back of the trailer, and then imagine a line sweeping round to the bay. That is the line you have to follow. That works too. Good luck chuck…it will come right believe me. x

David14:
I seem to be able to reverse perfectly into the bay
next to the one i want.

then aim for the next one over and you’ll get it in perfectly :wink: :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Nothing to worry about! Some days you can reverse onto a bay first time, other days it can take several shunts, thats the way it goes!

Last night, this “experienced” driver wouldn’t reverse onto one of the bays at Waitrose Bracknell, despite two drivers directing him!

There’s drivers, and there’s screwdrivers!

assuming there are others b4 you watch the others reversing …you will soon get an idea of the geometry required to get somewhere near the bay