The African truck scene in 2016 - Côte d'Ivoire and Uganda

Hello Gentlemen,

It’s been a while since I last posted - or even visited for that matter. There’s a logical reason for that, I spent most of my February in Africa, first Côte d’Ivoire for work then Uganda on some holidays.
On both trips (about 5 days back in Europe in between them) I had my camera with me and here are some of the shots I was able to take, for you to discover and hopefully enjoy.

Côte d’Ivoire. My trip took me from Abidjan to up country Yamoussoukro and back, then we flew to San Pedro in the West then back to Abidjan and back to Europe.

Abidjan, though by far the Country’s largest city, is “only” its economic capital. The official political and administrative capital is Yamoussoukro, some 250 kms up North. I am lead to believe that this configuration is largely inherited from the late Felix Houphouët-Boigny, Côte d’Ivoire’s leader until his death in 1993.

This also explains the existence of an excellent autoroute connecting the two locations.
Quite remarkably (thought not really surprising), the style of all the signposts is very similar to what can be found in France.

This road is not only the main connector between Abidjan, the economic capital (and major Regional maritime hub) and Yamoussoukro, it’s also a vital transit route for landlocked Mali and Burkina Faso.
Hence many a foreign lorry (which we would see as brilliant collector items) can still be seen earning a hard crust on this route, many on Malian or Burkinabe plates.
Here is a small selection.

Good old Merc NG, still in very good nick it would appear…

The French still have a huge foothold in this part of the world. Countless G- and R-series Renaults, also a great many AE’s/Magnums (those that didn’t go to Poland where they are hugely popular)

When you look at some of these loads, you realise that these Max. 5 metre signs really ARE useful…

Anyways, I believe there is max 10 pictures per post and so I must send this message out, which coincides nicely with my bedtime!
There’s quite a bit more to be posted Gentlemen, so if this subject is of interest to you then take an occasional look on here.

Bonne nuit
David

Across the African Countries I have visited recently - Côte d’Ivoire, Ghana and Uganda, there is a huge appetite for decorations and markings. Sometimes hilarious in their happy-go-lucky entrepreneurship. Also, these guys especially Ivorians have a hugely amusing, very wry sense of humour.

Good luck!

An old and battered Renault FR1 coach christened “the white horse”

Mother Africa :smiley:

Michael Jackson on a China-made Yutong coach…

This is a typical one. Ivorians are devout christians except for some pockets of Islam in the North.
This one says (on top) “Man proposes, the Lord disposes”.
On the bottom - less immediately comprehensible “the same ASALFO returns”. Could be the driver could be a local celebrity. no idea.

“Let’s be honest” or “let’s be frank”

THE FAMILY!

Nice-looking Merc that by the way. And she sounded really great (open exhaust !).

That’s it for now gentlemen. I have hundreds of pictures taken over the last Month of the truck scene in these areas, I will share a selection over the next days. Comments are of course always welcome!

Very entertaining Davidoff! Robert :smiley:

robert1952:
Very entertaining Davidoff! Robert :smiley:

As a prolific contributor with many Middle-East and North-East African stories, I was sure you would be there to react Robert :smiley:

There’s a lot more to come. Uganda was even more interesting than Côte d’Ivoire if I am honest, but I am proceeding in chronological order…

Public transportation is an interesting subject - both in Uganda and in Côte d’Ivoire.

Many people/families still do not own ANY means of motorised transportation, meaning in many cases not even a moped or small motorbike.
So there is an incredibly dense network of little minivans who criss-cross the country, often overloaded well beyond their nominal passenger capacity or payload, and invariably demonstrating the worst forms of dangerous, reckless driving. Particularly in Uganda.

They also carry substantial amounts of domestic cargo, often loaded as high up as 3,56 or 4 meters.
Like this one (the local Guv’nor)

Ladies and Gentlemen please would everybody step on board and fasten their seat belts…

The world’s load rate record holders. Average 120% :smiley:

Verry nice pics,interesting to see how it is down there :smiley:

Danne

I almost forgot the best people transport picture of all - look at his old SAVIEM SG2 or SG3 (well, Renault-badged but really these were Saviems).
Very few of these knocking about these days. When I first visited Ivory Coast 10 years ago there was still plenty of them, but even these extremely sturdy and rugged workhorses are not immune to the extremely poor condition of the road network, sadly they are now almost extinct.

This being the OLD TIME LORRIES, COMPANIES AND DRIVERS (INTERACTIVE) forum I must justify the presence of this subject on this forum :sunglasses:

Here are some bull-nosed Mercs to keep you amused.

Another section of Mali rainforest on wheels…

Of course, even these are not eternal. Here’s one or two that seem to have been retired, awaiting the surgeon to remove some vital organs to help prolong another one’s life another few years…

Davidoff:
This being the OLD TIME LORRIES, COMPANIES AND DRIVERS (INTERACTIVE) forum I must justify the presence of this subject on this forum :sunglasses:

Here are some bull-nosed Mercs to keep you amused.

Another section of Mali rainforest on wheels…

Of course, even these are not eternal. Here’s one or two that seem to have been retired, awaiting the surgeon to remove some vital organs to help prolong another one’s life another few years…

Interesting stuff there Davidoff, keep it coming.

This well-made documentary film has just appeared on Aljezeera TV, plotting a journey through Congo. Here’s the link. Robert

aljazeera.com/programmes/ris … 94854.html

Welcome back David!

Thank you for posting these pictures…superb!

Saviem:
Welcome back David!

Thank you for posting these pictures…superb!

Here here.