The 10 hr rule for night workers

Hi everyone,
I’ve been floating around the forum and have so far not needed to post, all questions answered by post already…

I work for a very big and well known haulage company on nights ( not the green ones)
Our company has not opted out of the 10 hr rule and I get paid a shift rate based on 10 hrs.
However the depot manager tells us we’ve opted out which we clearly haven’t it even says 10 hrs in the company handbook!!!
We are constantly expected to work over so when we say we can’t start until 9pm the same evening he goes mad at us and says he sick of hearing about the 10 hr rule■■?

Not sure what to do as I don’t think I can fight the powers that be and whilst the other lads blatantly break the law to do the work…

Maybe I just need to get on with it and stop moaning but I’m just worried in case I get busted!!!

He also bins our WTD infringement reports!!!

Thanks for listening

Jamie

RTD 10 hour rule means a maximum of 10 hours WORK not a max 10 hour shift

A shift could be 15 hours long with 10 hours of work in it

work = driving time plus other work time added together

Are you being asked to break the work rule ?

They never ask us to break the law, it’s “expected” of us to do all the work we get… I know what your saying re other work and driving etc but we get paid per shift based on a 10hr shift…

We don’t get paid POA and as such we don’t get time to use it on the night shift!!

Jamie

It seems that like many companies the RTD is being ignored as they know the authorities do not give a ■■■■

Your issue seems more like a contractual issue rather than a RTD issue

jay5488:
Hi everyone,
I’ve been floating around the forum and have so far not needed to post, all questions answered by post already…

I work for a very big and well known haulage company on nights ( not the green ones)
Our company has not opted out of the 10 hr rule and I get paid a shift rate based on 10 hrs.
However the depot manager tells us we’ve opted out which we clearly haven’t it even says 10 hrs in the company handbook!!!
We are constantly expected to work over so when we say we can’t start until 9pm the same evening he goes mad at us and says he sick of hearing about the 10 hr rule■■?

Not sure what to do as I don’t think I can fight the powers that be and whilst the other lads blatantly break the law to do the work…

Maybe I just need to get on with it and stop moaning but I’m just worried in case I get busted!!!

He also bins our WTD infringement reports!!!

Thanks for listening

Jamie

First of all the 10 hour rule is 10 hours work in any 24 hour period and not just 10 hours per shift so that needs to be taken into account.
Secondly to ‘opt out’ needs a workplace agreement and this workplace agreement needs reviewing periodically. Contact your head office and ask for the info so you know where you stand. You never said how long you have worked there?

I know how the 10 hr rule works, that’s when I say if we don’t get done till 7pm we don’t turn up until 9pm for work (depending when we had our breaks)…
They told me when I started we had opted out so I asked for something in writing and was just fobbed off… It’s only because of a meeting with the regional director I have got a drivers handbook in there it clearly states the 10 hr rule…

I’m just at a loss really and don’t know what to do, it seems they want 15 hrs work for 10hrs pay, I’ve been there just under a year but I’m already looking for other work…

Jamie