Thats gotta hurt!

Davey Driver:

Vascoingles:
Nothing whatsover to do with EU regs, in any country in Europe apart from the UK a claim for not have being shown how to get in or out of the cab would be laughed out of court supposing it even got there in the first place.

Thats just it Vas they dont get to court, I Tore the ligaments in my right ankle due to the employer not fixing lights that were knackered, making the pot holes hard to see, only because they intended moving premises 4 months later, it cost them £6,500 without going to court.

That is something completely different

Davey Driver:
The employer has a legal obligation to carry out Risk Assessments on everything regardless what it is, ( Check the EU Regulations For Employers) you’ll be surprised what you find out.

As an Ex Employer believe me, the EU Regs are out of this world, did you realise that ANY employee can request Flexi Time and the employer Must consider it? and give a valid reason for refusing it, and valid reasons must be genuine not even the excuse of how it could cause detrimental affect to the business is strong enough to decline it.

had one try it even the local union would not consider the case as they said if you want flexi time go and find a company doing local work not internatioanl

Davey Driver:
Your in Transport management now, I suggest you start reading up on the EU Regs for employers, It cost me £5300 for refusing to allow a 1 month pregnant woman to take every monday off work, she resigned but was awarded unfair dismissal because she was pregnant, and only worked for me for 7 months. My argument was that most pregnant women were happy to work until 2 months before the birth without any problems and never needed every monday off work.

These things are usually mutually agreed over here and the employer is usually slightly more generous than what the laws stipulate as the Spanish tend have a far stronger family feeling

Davey Driver:
Why she wanted every monday off made no difference despite the fact it was accepted by the tribunal in the end that she wanted the monday off to work part time at a call centre.

would be thrown out of court here as it is a legal requirement to inform your employer of any other employment carried out during the normal working week and for which you receive payment

Davey Driver:
Now there’s true EU Justice so never discount anything when it comes to EU Regulations & Laws. :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

The only difference being most countries do not even bother writing them in to national law, except of course the good old UK which as always is looking for a bat to hit itself over the head with.

police phoned me today about the incident what happened etc… thay told me he would be out of action for at least a year poor sod.

Vascoingles:
The only difference being most countries do not even bother writing them in to national law, except of course the good old UK which as always is looking for a bat to hit itself over the head with.

And so as I said originally, if the employer cannot produce a risk assessment or signed document from the driver saying he was shown the correct way to get in and out of the vehicle the employer will be liable :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

The accident happened in the UK Vas :wink: :wink:

Well in that case maybe all vehicle manufacturers should be issuing helath warnings and the appropriate instruction for getting in to and out of all vehicles big or small, can you imagine the claim if you pput your back out getting in to a Ferrari

I Totally agree Vas, but the EU is Health & Safety Crazy initiating things that are nigh on impossible for employers to comply with.

If it is the EU why do we not have this maze of legislation in other countries ?

Vascoingles:
If it is the EU why do we not have this maze of legislation in other countries ?

You answered that question yourself earlier Vas when you said that only the UK implements everything, the Legislations are EU wide but other countries obviously use common sense and bury it in the bottom draw out of sight.

The European Parliament website is one of the best places to see just what is implemented, although it’s supposed to be EU wide some countries obviously ignore it, however, if something went to court the EU Regs would set precedence over local laws.

Being an employer in the EU now is riddled with a minefield of legislations, I certainly wouldn’t be looking to employ anyone again as it’s just not worth the hassles.

Strange how no one else feels that way outside of the UK
Until the UK starts to act just like the rest of the EU you will always be lumbered with more legislation and more costs than anyone else.
Why do toer countries get away with it ? because they have the backbone to stand up and say no we are not going to do it, whilst at the same time the warriors in Westminster scuttle home with their tails between their legs

the best thing that you could have done there would be to chuck the burgers in the bin and just witness a slip from the crap steps fitted to most trucks.especially when wet or fuel is on them.
i hope he gets his claim,he wouldn’t have been there if he wasn’t working,so his employer is responsible for him.

i regret not making a claim years ago when i broke my foot.the company i worked for looked after me to be honest but they were in the wrong,and being a multi-national they wouldn’t have noticed it.being as i had refused to do the job and was pressured by my manager who then accused me of breaking my foot on purpose :open_mouth: i think i missed out there. :laughing:

if he has a drivers handbook and it dosent tell him not to get in the cab with a burger king in his hand then he can claim :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

its like a packet of peanuts with the warning on the back of the packet " this product may contain nuts ".

also he also has an obligation to follow safety training off the " 3 point contact rule " for getting in and out of the cab and also getting off and on the cat walk.

Vascoingles:

I guess because they still use good old common sense coupled with the old standby - “Quch, that [zb]ing hurt, better not do that again” learning process. :wink: :stuck_out_tongue: A much better method than - “Quch, that [zb]ing hurt, who can I sue for my own stupidity/carelessness so I don’t look so daft” - which seems to prevail in this country and has lead to all the H&S nonsense we have to suffer.

I go into work and collect my unit from DHL Hatfield and must be wearing Hi Viz and safety shoes and been instructed in various methods in sucking eggs and the bleeding obvious. I also have a small rain forest worth of paper to remind me in case after nearly 50 years on this planet I have forgotten the basics, such as how to climb a couple of steps. Over to London Colney depot and the same crap applies. Pull out of the gate in Colney and Hi Viz goes in the overhead locker and will remain there until I return. I will go to a DHL depot in either Holland, Germany or France and not a single person in any of those depots will be wearing a Hi Viz garment and shock, horror there are not a steady stream of ambulances or morgue vans carrying away the dead and injured from these places. :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :wink: Same company, different rules, same result - people get through the day quite safely.

H & S, a major contributor to the overcrowding of these islands because it keeps idiots alive. :imp: :wink:

“The only difference being most countries do not even bother writing them in to national law, except of course the good old UK which as always is looking for a bat to hit itself over the head with.”

This is why a lot of the residents of the UK want to be out of the EU. Any other country picks the rules to adopt depending if they suit them - even if they agreed to them in a comittee. The UK follows every one letter for letter. Even worse they won’t stand up for whats right for the UK when the laws are being written. And we work to pay them hundreds of thousands a year to do it. Were as soft as they are!

I often wonder just how often the blame is put on “EU legislation” when in may cases this may not be the case it may just be the way that the UK wishes to interpret the rules ?

Coffeeholic:
H & S, a major contributor to the overcrowding of these islands because it keeps idiots alive. :imp: :wink:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Unfortunately your too close to the truth!

The laws of natural selection have been thrown away and replaced with rules & regs drawn up by company solicitors desperate to evade any possible insurance claim.

We now have a system whereby you’re not allowed to do the job you’ve been doing for years because you’ve not had training in it! :confused:

Ah well!!

Stan

"The laws of natural selection have been thrown away " Come back Darwin, all is forgiven :smiley: :smiley:

i was thinking about this today while lying under one hooking it up.
he’s probably in line for a better claim for the having landed in 200 drivers ■■■■ which is all over the service area.
if his clothes ever get dna tested he’ll be placed at the scene of a dozen crime scenes.

can’t think of a place which would be worse to break your leg. :laughing:

I had undone the curtain of a trailer,just the ratchets,the curtain was still closed.I was inside putting some straps on a load,tripped over one of the straps,fell against the curtain and put my hand out to steady myself,fell out under the curtain and landed on my shoulder on the ground.
Luckily nobody saw me.Very embarassing! :blush: :blush: :blush: