That will teach me

I know I know should of looked into coarses first, but i fell for the speel of Clearstones( sorry to bring them up again ) promises of high earning jobs and garenteed passes.payed them £1000 deposit, try to cancel in 7 day cooling off period but there telling me I’ v got to write to them and cancel, but by the time they get letter 7 day will be up . All depoits are non-refundable looks like they might of got me and £1000 of my cash. Will keep you posted .
:blush:

How have you payed them.

If you’re talking about saving a 'grand, i’d get down there and deliver the letter by hand!!! :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Surely they don’t need a ‘letter’, just that you want to cancel ‘in writing’■■ If that is the case, a fax (including your signature, should be sufficient and it’s lots quicker. :bulb: :bulb:

If you paid by credit card (on-line) then you’re covered by something called the “distance selling law” Find the law detailed HERE

Of particular interest is:

Right to cancel
10. - (1) Subject to regulation 13, if within the cancellation period set out in regulations 11 and 12, the consumer gives a notice of cancellation to the supplier, or any other person previously notified by the supplier to the consumer as a person to whom notice of cancellation may be given, the notice of cancellation shall operate to cancel the contract.
(2) Except as otherwise provided by these Regulations, the effect of a notice of cancellation is that the contract shall be treated as if it had not been made.
(3) For the purposes of these Regulations, a notice of cancellation is a notice in writing or in another durable medium available and accessible to the supplier (or to the other person to whom it is given) which, however expressed, indicates the intention of the consumer to cancel the contract.

Note the part I’ve underlined? Do as marcustandy suggested - FAX them…

Good luck!

Hi Gadget,

I think Chris summed it up pretty well and I would send these people either a fax or, as already mentioned, deliver an appropriate letter by hand although your telephone call was sufficient already.

Secondly, how did you pay? Get in touch with your Credit Card Company if you paid by card. They will claim the money back for you no sweat. If you paid cash than nothing will be lost. Come Monday I would suggest you get in touch with Office of Fair Trading oft.gov.uk/default.htm and explain your situation. Notify clearstone about the action you have taken in case you went ahead with The Office for Fair Trading, as this works wonder most of the time.

In any case, mate; nothing’s been lost and it is not that easy nowadays to hang on to somebody’s money. Stand your ground and show your teeth but don’t be intmidated by some stupid rep. Take care[/code]

Crafty Buggers! :open_mouth:

you’re covered by distance selling regulations no matter what payment method you used, so long as you didnt call at their premisies to pay :wink:

So even if you sent a large bundle of used fivers by second class post to pay you still have the right to cancel.

To be fair, many firms work it that you can notify them by phone but you then have to back it up in writting for their files.

For the sake of a grand you could send the letter next day special delivery with a grands insurance on it. They can’t say they didnt recieve it then, AND if they really didnt you can claim off the PO :wink:
As already said you can fax them.

Isn’t email a ‘durable medium’ too though?

I have indeed sent a fax but they are shut for the weekend so they should have it there ON the 7 th day. I did pay on credit card . So fingers crossed but this is noway to treat a client if I was going to go for test but at a later date, it sure ain’t going to be with them …

your ‘credit’ card also offers you aditional purchase protection for anything over £100, so if they fail to refund you even though you have notified them the card company can just do a charge back.

Well got a letter back from clearstones they have refuned me £901 of my £1000. So if you do the maths thats £99 short that being for the £14.99 thory
book,so i’m glad i did pull out when i did cos they ain’t going to get another penny from me. Think i’v found someone better for my training Hackworthys based in or around Plymouth.

Thanks all

p.s will let u all know

Gadget:
Well got a letter back from clearstones they have refuned me £901 of my £1000. So if you do the maths thats £99 short that being for the £14.99 thory
book,so i’m glad i did pull out when i did cos they ain’t going to get another penny from me. Think i’v found someone better for my training Hackworthys based in or around Plymouth.

Good that you got a refund - bad that they charged £84.01 over the odds for that book. What was their reason for this? If they gave you some guff about “administration costs” then I’d be tempted to ask them to prove it… £84 is not chicken feed.

send em a letter telling them that you require the shortfall in their refund by return of post if not received you WILL be tacking them to the small claims court on the advice of the citizens advice bureau
dont let the greedy ■■■■■■■■ get away with it

Just glad to get most of me cash back and have nothing more to do with them thanks anyway :blush: