That blagging cow needs you lot again for T&D...!

OVLOV JAY:
Well the tanker drivers always did well, and there’s no way the t’s and c’s could have eroded to what new starters get now. There’s blokes going into it now on £35k doing the identical job to those on £50k. I’d be paying my subs through gritted teeth

A TU will always protect its existing members before worrying about those that may or may not get jobs in the future.

And they are 100% correct to do so…to do otherwise would be letting down members who gave been paying dues for their representation.

I agree that there is a large element of pulling the ladder up in this approach, but thats just the way it is sometimes.

DonutUK:

OVLOV JAY:
Well the tanker drivers always did well, and there’s no way the t’s and c’s could have eroded to what new starters get now. There’s blokes going into it now on £35k doing the identical job to those on £50k. I’d be paying my subs through gritted teeth

A TU will always protect its existing members before worrying about those that may or may not get jobs in the future.

And they are 100% correct to do so…to do otherwise would be letting down members who gave been paying dues for their representation.

I agree that there is a large element of pulling the ladder up in this approach, but thats just the way it is sometimes.

But those members won’t be the workforce forever, and most likely, within 10-15 years will only be 10-20% of it, so the membership of the day will be at a disadvantage due to former shop stewards looking out for themselves. I wonder if the deal would’ve been taken if a steward had a son or daughter trying to get on the firm :wink:

OVLOV JAY:

DonutUK:

OVLOV JAY:

But those members won’t be the workforce forever, and most likely, within 10-15 years will only be 10-20% of it, so the membership of the day will be at a disadvantage due to former shop stewards looking out for themselves. I wonder if the deal would’ve been taken if a steward had a son or daughter trying to get on the firm :wink:

I worked for a firm that had exactly this. Crew threatened with heavy cuts, very powerful union stood ground. Company came back with counter offer to protect current terms at expense of scythed conditions for new joiners (what they always intended).

Half the workforce realised this was bad for their own future, the other half didn’t care. It was signed. Extensive new joiner B scale recruitment started. Uh oh. Next working agreement negotiations start in 3 years. You can guess what the topic of conversation will be. The old “A” scalers.

If you go in to a firm where there are 2 pay scales thanks to union negotiation, what has the union got left to offer the new staff? :open_mouth:
Basically you’re being asked to buy a ticket for a ship that has already sailed…
Talk about shooting themselves in the foot! :unamused:

Evil8Beezle:
If you go in to a firm where there are 2 pay scales thanks to union negotiation, what has the union got left to offer the new staff? :open_mouth:
Basically you’re being asked to buy a ticket for a ship that has already sailed…

Hovis did that

Evil8Beezle:

And all it will lead to is animosity amongst the drivers. “Get old Reg to do that extra run, he’s already on double my wages” and the like. Unions are pretty much a spent force, not all through their own doings, but previous incarnations giving the government excuses to cut them out. Instead of serving their purpose, ie be the sensible middle ground to protect workers from exploitation, many flexed their muscles to try and get money for nothing. I agree with the principle, not always the execution though :exclamation:

whisperingsmith:
Que Violins:

Back in the day of ERF’s - MANs with column change ( even before the Twin splitter) etc.

Those were the days when the Transport & General Workers Union tried to outlaw the sleeper cab & the Big Union firms ran antiques (with wooden frame cabs, fibre glass panels and a perch attached to the rear bulkhead to give the driver something to sit on ( required a a liberal doses of haemorrhoid cream or suppositories)

One unionised firm In St Helens had hundreds of elderly red 8 wheeler Atkis with Gardner 150s creeping back up the M1 from the London area every afternoon with reels of paper, the drivers needing to wear overalls, cloth cap etc. even worse was the nationalised BRS … Romantic at a vintage rally but not good for your health on a daily basis.

Non Union firms had Volvo, Scania, Merc, MAN etc… with suspension seats, good power to weight ratio & a comfy bed to sleep in.

Most non union firms had ghost union members so that if you had a run to the docks or a coal mine in Yorkshire you were issued with a union card & a name for the day

Owner Drivers would pay one weeks subs for a card that lasted a year - Do London one year, Liverpool the next -:slight_smile:

If you think RDCs are bad Yorkshire coal mines were a 4***g nighmare for sheer “Sorry Drive Union Rules we can’t help you” so 20 ton handball to the back of the trailer - then “Sorry Drive Union Rules you can’t use the showers” and don’t even mention the ****ing Dockers.

So when Maggie took on the Unions it was the drivers queuing up to help her & get their revenge for all the sh*te they had to endure from the unions.

Unions like communism are a great philosophy that I support 100% - unfortunately spoiled by the same types that join the Tory party as politicians.

Millionaire Union leaders like Scargill feathered their own nests at the expense of their members & it will take decades to rebuild a properly functioning Union now that legislation has more or less killed the aspiration

One of the best posts on here for a long time! Not for the ‘nostalgia’ but for the truth of it. Now ‘minimal driver input’ vehicles are on the horizon what will be left of the industry?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Evil8Beezle:

Divide and conquer. Lots of new people come in on “B scale”. All enthusiastic at first. A few years down they are starting to feel miffed the bloke next to them gets 2 more days off a month, more money and holiday entitlement. By time work agreement negotiations come around a large proportion of the union voters are made up of people now on the B scal. Company only has to say to B scalers that they will offer more money for them (less than A scale) if they vote to drop A scale to the same level. Guess which way the vote goes.

It’s a stepping down of terms using two sides played off

Is it me, as I’m relatively new to the industry. Or do some firms/contracts choose to exclusively run their staff through agencies these days on what is basically a zero hours contract? As I’ve come across a couple…

I suppose you can’t blame them if it’s financially more sensible for them, but it’s not exactly great for employees and to me pretty much negates the point of bothering to join a union, as you don’t have a great deal to protect. I confess that I’m not particularly clued up and am asking more than anything… But if this is common practice, and zero hour contracts are becoming more prevalent, what future is there for unions?

Unions today are not what they once were. maggie destroyed them took a lot of their power away. They take your subs and do little for you and pay themselves huge salaries for doing nothing to improve drivers’ working conditions. That’s my opinion of unions.
A united workforce I think is the better option. Even that is not too powerful these days. But it can work for the drivers benefit at times.

OVLOV JAY:
If unions don’t split the workforce, what happened during the last tanker drivers strikes? They sold all the new starters down the river, while securing ongoing wage rises for the workforce of the day, in exchange for an end to industrial action. So in short, that game will be [zb] within 20 years when the current drivers are retired. It’s the reason is never go into that game

But was that the union’s policy, or the members’ policy?

I seriously doubt the union bureaucracy was screaming “sell your children down the river”, which is akin to Desypete’s complaint that the unions were not screaming “sell yourselves down the river” during Brexit.

Freight Dog:
It’s a stepping down of terms using two sides played off

And there’s little the union bureaucracy can do if the members are determined to divide themselves or look after their short-term interests at the expense of their long-term interests. These members are generally the rump left over from the union organising carried out by a previous generation.

I’m reminded of the Simpsons episode where Mr Burns grabs back the dental plan for the price of a keg of beer while the workforce crow about being bought off - it bears more than a passing resemblance to real life.

Rjan:

OVLOV JAY:
If unions don’t split the workforce, what happened during the last tanker drivers strikes? They sold all the new starters down the river, while securing ongoing wage rises for the workforce of the day, in exchange for an end to industrial action. So in short, that game will be [zb] within 20 years when the current drivers are retired. It’s the reason is never go into that game

But was that the union’s policy, or the members’ policy?

I seriously doubt the union bureaucracy was screaming “sell your children down the river”, which is akin to Desypete’s complaint that the unions were not screaming “sell yourselves down the river” during Brexit.

It was put forward by management. In my view, good reps wouldn’t have even taken it to the members, they should’ve dismissed it out of hand

Rjan:

desypete:
the unions were backing the remain side in this recent eu vote.
the unions didn’t care one fig for the devastation the high numbers of migrants have had and are having on wages and conditions for our own people
they made there stand in the eu vote and publicly backed the remain side
i will never vote labour or back a union ever in my life infact if anything i am more anit labour and anti union than i have ever been. since the eu vote

its the people themselves who got us out of the eu not the labour party nor a bloody union
so whjat use are you to anyone who works for a living except to take some of there hard earned cash out of there pay packet, and pretend your doing some sort of service or protecting a work force ?

your a waste of space in this country

If there’s one thing unions know, it’s that you don’t build solidarity in the workforce by dividing it! Not by dividing settled worker against migrant worker, domestic jobs against foreign jobs, nothing of that sort.

Even if the unions were against Brexit, they certainly aren’t against better pay and conditions, better job security, better training and apprenticeships, and so forth.

A lot of people also forget that a union’s power fundamentally derives from the willingness of the workforce to organise and take industrial action. There’s nothing a union can win for you, unless you are willing to go on strike for it.

I’ve seen supine reps in workplaces where the members are themselves supine and are happily managing the decline of their pay and conditions, but I’ve never seen supine reps where the members are militant, because that disconnect between the union bureaucracy and the members can always be resolved by wildcat industrial action or by replacing the union bureaucracy (including by the members joining or creating another union en masse).

The power of the union arises from the members’ willingness to take industrial action and so members who are sufficiently organised and motivated always command almost the full extent of their union’s power.

like the drs you mean who have gone against what there union says and decided to carry on fighting
the one thing the unions should wake up to is to support British workers first and foremost, the unions joined in all the scare rubbish over the eu vote, they even tried to blame employers for the low wages and not the fact of all the high numbers of eu nationals who have flooded our lands, over 1 million polish alone is a huge number let alone all the other low paid workers from other country’s that have come over here to get rich quick at the direct cost of the locals, who have had to accept in many areas a lower pay packet or lose the work. yes bosses have been able to exploit this but that is the only way to stop it is by getting out of the eu and stopping the buggers from coming over here then and only then will there be a real shortage of workers which will mean the bosses will have to attract to there industry which can only mean better terms and conditions on offer

can you imagine what would happen in the driving game if there was no polish or other nationals driving over here ? the same in the nhs where we are dependant on the migrant to come and do the job for such bad pay and conditions

the unions have been around all this time and done what to try to protect our own peoples jobs and futures ? bugger all is what except sit back and accept what is now the norm

and of course take millions in union subs which helps funds the labour political correct loonys

you wouldn’t think i was once a labour man all my life would you ?
today i wouldnt ever waste my vote on labour as there is nothing there for the British working man same as the unions there just no good any more and do very little if anything for the millions of British working men or women.

desypete:
like the drs you mean who have gone against what there union says and decided to carry on fighting

Indeed, although the BMA does not just represent junior doctors.

the one thing the unions should wake up to is to support British workers first and foremost, the unions joined in all the scare rubbish over the eu vote

You don’t seem to have appreciated my point about how the power of the working class arises from solidarity, and the threat of withdrawing all labour.

It is one thing to have to deal with a minority of scabs, quite another to systematically alienate a large section of the workforce (including workforces abroad), when those workforces are in a position to determine the success of your strikes (and when the material effect of alienating them may be to impose on them the very thing you’re striking to prevent - it’s beggar thy neighbour thinking).

they even tried to blame employers for the low wages

Good grief, how misguided! :laughing:

and not the fact of all the high numbers of eu nationals who have flooded our lands, over 1 million polish alone is a huge number let alone all the other low paid workers from other country’s that have come over here to get rich quick at the direct cost of the locals, who have had to accept in many areas a lower pay packet or lose the work. yes bosses have been able to exploit this but that is the only way to stop it is by getting out of the eu and stopping the buggers from coming over here then and only then will there be a real shortage of workers which will mean the bosses will have to attract to there industry which can only mean better terms and conditions on offer

Why not just legislate higher wages? If “low paid workers” are an undesirable thing, then outlaw the ability to offer or accept low pay! Even for neoliberals who are against market manipulation, national borders are a much grosser and imprecise manipulation of the wage market than simply regulating wages!

Rjan:

desypete:

Indeed, although the BMA does not just represent junior doctors.

the one thing the unions should wake up to is to support British workers first and foremost, the unions joined in all the scare rubbish over the eu vote

You don’t seem to have appreciated my point about how the power of the working class arises from solidarity, and the threat of withdrawing all labour.

It is one thing to have to deal with a minority of scabs, quite another to systematically alienate a large section of the workforce (including workforces abroad), when those workforces are in a position to determine the success of your strikes (and when the material effect of alienating them may be to impose on them the very thing you’re striking to prevent - it’s beggar thy neighbour thinking).

they even tried to blame employers for the low wages

Good grief, how misguided! :laughing:

and not the fact of all the high numbers of eu nationals who have flooded our lands, over 1 million polish alone is a huge number let alone all the other low paid workers from other country’s that have come over here to get rich quick at the direct cost of the locals, who have had to accept in many areas a lower pay packet or lose the work. yes bosses have been able to exploit this but that is the only way to stop it is by getting out of the eu and stopping the buggers from coming over here then and only then will there be a real shortage of workers which will mean the bosses will have to attract to there industry which can only mean better terms and conditions on offer

Why not just legislate higher wages? If “low paid workers” are an undesirable thing, then outlaw the ability to offer or accept low pay! Even for neoliberals who are against market manipulation, national borders are a much grosser and imprecise manipulation of the wage market than simply regulating wages!

would you care to have a stab at answering the question about how the driving game would be right now if there was no eu nationals able to come over here ?

the unions were trying to sell the idea its nothing at all to do with high number of migrants and that its all about bosses who exploit it. as the reason why its all in the mess it is, they were trying to tell us that the eu protects us and our rights ? even though no bugger wants the dcpc or many of the other rules and regs forced on us, so clealry the unions are well out of touch with what the workers really wants of feels
yet it seems perfectly normal to me to think if you stop the flow of cheap labour then what can the bosses do ? they will have to share bigger slices of the pie to attract drivers into the game, wages for the workers will have to go up to attract into the industry. and it will of been brought about not by the unions but by the simple man or women in the street who refused to listen to the experts, refused to listen to the jumped up unions and refused to listed to all the doom rubbish, they instead worked it out in there own heads, shutting the doors will = more slices of the pie for them, better conditions for them, more homes will become available once the buggers go back home. its not to hard to work out. but the unions, the political correct lot and the experts all got it wrong and the people themselves made this change. so who the hell needs a union ?

desypete:
would you care to have a stab at answering the question about how the driving game would be right now if there was no eu nationals able to come over here ?

Better than now, but worse than if an increase of wages was mandated by law.

the unions were trying to sell the idea its nothing at all to do with high number of migrants and that its all about bosses who exploit it.

Which is true. Migrants do not apply any pressure to bosses to pay settled workers less. Bosses themselves are generally seeking ways to suppress wages as a first principle of management, and hauliers that do suppress wages apply competitive pressure to those who do not.

In other words, the pressure to reduce wages comes from bosses trying to increase profits, and from the threat that other bosses in the same line of work will undercut.

I agree that restricting the supply of cheap labour would cause market prices to go up, but that can be done more specifically with a sector minimum wage. Cheap settled workers (such as the unemployed desperate for work) are as much a threat to wages as cheap migrant workers.

It’s worth pointing out that wages have fallen through the floor even in many occupations that have not had a large influx of immigrants. Better minimum wages in other occupations would also improve drivers’ bargaining power.

as the reason why its all in the mess it is, they were trying to tell us that the eu protects us and our rights ? even though no bugger wants the dcpc or many of the other rules and regs forced on us, so clealry the unions are well out of touch with what the workers really wants of feels

Unfortunately rules and regulations are necessary in this game. The EU did not mandate that drivers pay for the CPC - the government could have imposed a levy on industry and offered them free to drivers.

yet it seems perfectly normal to me to think if you stop the flow of cheap labour then what can the bosses do ? they will have to share bigger slices of the pie to attract drivers into the game, wages for the workers will have to go up to attract into the industry.

(bangs head against wall). Then why aren’t you supporting a higher minimum wage? Why is that not a perfectly normal thought, that if the flow of cheap labour is stopped by having a high minimum wage, then bosses (and their customers) will have no choice but to pay that wage to get work done?

and it will of been brought about not by the unions but by the simple man or women in the street who refused to listen to the experts, refused to listen to the jumped up unions and refused to listed to all the doom rubbish, they instead worked it out in there own heads, shutting the doors will = more slices of the pie for them, better conditions for them, more homes will become available once the buggers go back home. its not to hard to work out. but the unions, the political correct lot and the experts all got it wrong and the people themselves made this change. so who the hell needs a union ?

But we know from past experience that beggar-thy-neighbour does not lead to a bigger slice of the pie for workers. That’s why 1930s workers were marching for food (pre-EU with strong borders), and 1960s workers weren’t (during the ascendancy of the EU).

What has changed since is not that the world’s working class has become too friendly, but that there has been a loss of working class solidarity and state regulation of the markets which was the norm post-WW2. In other words, the working man has fallen back into 1930s ignorance.

Sections of the working class, guided subtly by the mouthpieces of the ruling class, are starting to fight each other again on the mutual assumption that they will be better off doing so, whilst the ruling class exploit the disunity to make bumper profits.

It’s as though people honestly believe that more goals are scored, easier and more assuredly, in a football match when the teams are competing, than if they cooperated. Imagine a match in which the losing team stood to be made homeless and have their lives turned upside down, how easy do you think it would be to score a goal? Would anyone even follow the rules in this life-or-death match?

With cooperation, the same (or better) outcome can be fixed for a fraction of the effort and none of the risk - the number of goals can be planned, and the process of achieving them routine and undemanding for the players (leaving people with time to spend on other things besides life-or-death football, and able to get on with life and spend time with the kids without having to fear losing the game and those kids being put on the street). In essence, the economy had a large dose of this cooperation in the 1960s.

This is why the superficial equivalence (in terms of the effect on wages) of regulating geographic movement of workers, and regulating workers’ wages directly, is not equivalent in the final analysis.

The problem is, as two world wars showed, a significant minority of people are reluctant to put their brains into gear and make the distinction between two superficially plausible answers until after they or their children have been used as cannon fodder on battlefields.

There’s some really brilliant debate going on here guys, do keep it rolling. Thankyou! :grimacing:

When I worked for First bus Glasgow the union rep was in house. He was ok but one instance that sticks in my mind was a wage negotiation.
There was a wage deal put out to vote that the union recommended rejecting. It was rejected and then the big bosses took him for a meeting in Aberdeen. Then a new wage deal was released which was basically the original one reworded. This time it was recommended to accept which it was by a 59% majority. Two months later the union rep was driving a new car and went on holiday of a tour of America.
Might have been coincidence but ive always had my suspicions as ive always suspected a company can get a union to accept anything with an envelope full of money pushed through the right letterbox and it didnt look good

The-Snowman:
When I worked for First bus Glasgow the union rep was in house. He was ok but one instance that sticks in my mind was a wage negotiation.
There was a wage deal put out to vote that the union recommended rejecting. It was rejected and then the big bosses took him for a meeting in Aberdeen. Then a new wage deal was released which was basically the original one reworded. This time it was recommended to accept which it was by a 59% majority. Two months later the union rep was driving a new car and went on holiday of a tour of America.
Might have been coincidence but ive always had my suspicions as ive always suspected a company can get a union to accept anything with an envelope full of money pushed through the right letterbox and it didnt look good

In the end it’s for the members to resolve. If they will do what they’re told by a bribed rep, then who can help them? No amount of union bureaucracy can compensate for a stubborn lack of solidarity or lack of participation amongst the members.

Or perhaps their vote reflected that most did not care about, or did not believe, the appearance of impropriety. Or perhaps they took the bribe as an indication the management had already given everything they could!

One point I would make however is that even a bribed rep probably does better for the workforce than no union rep at all, and the members always have ultimate democratic control over the union bureaucracy (as they clearly did even in your anecdote).