THAMES TRADERS

Think this is a crew cab rather than a sleeper but could easily have been adapted to a sleeper. Nmp.

Whoops!

5thwheel:
Whoops!

The driver was warned!

Spain.

4077994361_8183f34b1c_b.jpg

ERF-NGC-European:
Spain.

Love the sun visor!

David

James & Son

All the Traders pulled pups.

Appy:

James & Son

I remember seeing those as a youngster. I always thought what a strange shape the bodies were.

James.jpg

Built for unloading by hand.
My old Dad was with James & Son

Appy:

James & Son

The tipper in the middle is a Dodge. Cheers. :wink:

Let’s hope it doesn’t have to climb the mountains :wink: Spot the feeler guage on the bumper, presumably to sense the height of overhanging trees.

ERF-NGC-European:
Let’s hope it doesn’t have to climb the mountains :wink: Spot the feeler guage on the bumper, presumably to sense the height of overhanging trees.

Would that set up have used the Ford 590e?

Dipster:

Appy:

James & Son

I remember seeing those as a youngster. I always thought what a strange shape the bodies were.

As a lorry spotter at a very young age I can remember their predecessors, the 7V Fordson V8s. I used to stand for hours at the traffic lights round the corner from us in Fulham. My memory is of the smell of the grains and the wet dripping out of the back
Bernard

I recall a mixture of Ford lorries from 1960 when I started my Motor Mechanic apprenticeship with
North Western Gas Board. Regarding the bonneted Ford Thames, some of the older ones were V8
petrol, some were 4 cylinder petrol which we referred as a " Cost Cutter ", and the later ones were
the 4D four cylinder diesel. Some of them were artics and some were rigids.

Early 1961 the Thames Traders began to arrive, the rigids were 4 cylinder and the artics were 6 cylinder.
I dont know what the horsepower of these engines were. The 25 ft artic trailers carried coke, the flat
trailers carried bagged coke to mainly houses, and the 25 ft tipper trailers moved bulk coke to depots.

Ray Smyth.

ERF-NGC-European:

I strongly suspect the device on the bumper is a early version of a 2 way radio aerial. The vehicle is registered in NZ where distances usually weren’t that far from depots. CB’s didnt really come into use in this part of the world until the mid 1970’s. The radio in the truck would have only been able to talk to other units in that fleet, and the depot.

Ray Smyth:

Appy:

James & Son

The tipper in the middle is a Dodge. Cheers. :wink:

None of them were tippers, not even the Dodge. Cheers :wink:

albion1938:

Dipster:

Appy:

James & Son

As a lorry spotter at a very young age I can remember their predecessors, the 7V Fordson V8s. I used to stand for hours at the traffic lights round the corner from us in Fulham. My memory is of the smell of the grains and the wet dripping out of the back
Bernard

It’s amazing what you remember from infancy concerning lorries. I remember seeing my first Thames Traders at the age of 7 or 8 (so 1959 or '60) at the roundabout at the bottom of Hucknall Road in Nottingham where it met Valley Road at the roundabout. There were daily Trader laden tippers roaring up the hill with Donald Duck stickers on the cab doors. What that was all about, I’ve no idea; but ever since then I’ve called them Donald Duck lorries!

Spanish Trader, they were very popular in Spain, they had a Ford manufacturing plant there, but not sure if they produced the Trader ?

Fergie 47,Ref.the Spanish Traders,I think they were made in Spain but were called Ford Ebro.I stand to be corrected though,it was an age ago.
Regards to all.900x20. :unamused: :question:

900X20:
Fergie 47,Ref.the Spanish Traders,I think they were made in Spain but were called Ford Ebro.I stand to be corrected though,it was an age ago.
Regards to all.900x20. :unamused: :question:

Ebro made the Fordson Major tractor under some kind of licence following the finish of the UK Dagenham Major in 1964.