TGX 540

Anyone got any experience of this engine? the 480 goes well enough so i was hoping this would be more than up to the job

You’re so posh Chavers.

I had a 460 on a 51 plate with the comfort shift manual about ten year ago & he pulled like a train.

Had one on hire for 3 months earlier this year, rental company bought it with 240000k’s engine was getting rebuilt at 280000k’s… Absolutly drank fuel and adblue.
Never above 6.5mpg on motorway and mid 5’s on hard work, maybe i had a bad one but never again…
Same driver on 510 manual daf now high 7’s which for work we do im quite happy with…

interesting… i,m looking to replace mine and this 540 has come up at the same price as a 480 i,m looking at, there both through the MAN dealer with full service history on 11 plates, just not many 540,s about so info is a bit hard to come by

@haggis hunter, i think its from a firm called G&J Black up your way, any idea what sort of life it will have led up there?

If its blacks of bathgate it would have worked up the west coast alot delivering fishfood and into the woods for logs south motor looks alright in the passing but it would certainly have been worked…
My mate has just scaled back his fleet and one of the mans he sold was a 12 plate 480 xxl manual.
Think he sold it to a dealer in north west.
Less than 200k and mint condition il give him a bell if u want to know more…

Ok thanks for that, theres plenty of low mileage 480,s down here so there not an issue, think i,ll give this 540 a miss, sounds like it may have had a fairly hard life so far

chaversdad:
Ok thanks for that, theres plenty of low mileage 480,s down here so there not an issue, think i,ll give this 540 a miss, sounds like it may have had a fairly hard life so far

Wise words, make sure you get a warranty! I’d chop my finger off before buying another truck without a warranty.

I wouldnt have it any other way tbh, the last 2 TGA,s i bought all came with 12 months warranty, i find thats about enough time for anything major to show itself

chaversdad:
I wouldnt have it any other way tbh, the last 2 TGA,s i bought all came with 12 months warranty, i find thats about enough time for anything major to show itself

Yes, oh Sage.

well i managed to find another rare as hens teeth TGX 540 and after a test drive today signed on the dotted line :sunglasses:

as a rough idea of the work the vehicle has been doing, try googleing the registration number for images of it

Done that mate and found one with a nice clean curtain on its back, hopefully its not had too hard a life so far

Check the exhaust manifold where it bolts to the turbo , we have a 12 plate one that has had 2 manifolds and turbo, s due to the manifold racking and causing the turbo to also split.

It has just been fitted with a modified manifold and another turbo.

Other than that one , the others we have are good motors ( 7.5 mpg when the 480,s are only hitting over 6 mpg on the logging work).

cheers for that dingo, i,ll mention it to the boys in the workshop tomorow