TGA Oil pump failure

Well after seeing a couple of trucks that have suffered terminal engine failure and hearing about how common this has become i contacted my local MAN dealer for some information, seems over the last couple of years they have been replacing the oil pumps on all TGA,s on contract maintenance but it wasnt a recall as such more them covering there backs as an oil pump is obviously cheaper for them to replace than a new engine , now my truck isnt on R+M so i knew the oil pump wouldnt have been changed but i decided to get it done anyway to be on the safe side, now heres the good bit, the pump is £500+ the labour is £300+ and the oil change would be another £250 ish but MAN are making a good will contribution and doing the whole job for £450, now for a 9yr old truck which they have no obligation to i didnt think that was too bad of them at all

That sounds like a result to me, normally they will fight tooth and nail to avoid paying anything unless they have to.

I,m really pleased as i didnt ring up to complain as such, i just mentioned all the horror stories i heard and asked for a price to get the job done and the service manager told me all what i have posted above, he told me to leave it with him and rang me back the next day with the offer, i didnt have to get involved at all

i have checked on all of my TGA’s, luckily, they were all done before i bought them :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:

i did, however, have to send them in for the recall on the middle axle brakes to be done, new discs, pads and calipers, all at MAN’s expense :grimacing: :grimacing:

Fair play to them. I think they know the engines are a bit unreliable & maybe feel embarrassed, used to see multiple pallets of blown engines at Northampton, even the techs were saying they’re not up to scratch which I thought was a bit odd, them letting on. If they could make the engines bullet proof they’d be a real contender, lovely trucks to drive & the engines are smooth & pull well.

from what i understand, it is not the engine that is/was the problem, it is the gear on the end of the oil pump that fails, causing the oil pump to stop working, thus causing an engine failure

chaversdad:
I,m really pleased as i didnt ring up to complain as such, i just mentioned all the horror stories i heard and asked for a price to get the job done and the service manager told me all what i have posted above, he told me to leave it with him and rang me back the next day with the offer, i didnt have to get involved at all

will never be another tga in my yard after the oil pump failed,give them credit in one sense they offered me good money for the one that seized engine but lost faith in them hence I cut my losses and sold it for spares

tbh mate seeing yours parked in charlie leonards with a seized engine was one of the things that made me make enquiries in the first place, i was thinking of getting rid at the end of the year for a new TGX but while it keeps plodding away i,m just going to keep running it

chaversdad:
tbh mate seeing yours parked in charlie leonards with a seized engine was one of the things that made me make enquiries in the first place, i was thinking of getting rid at the end of the year for a new TGX but while its keeping plodding away i,m just going to keep running it

I bought that truck with 290000km on clock, it was 3yr old at the time, it wasn’t till the oil pump failed that I was aware of a problem with oil pumps, salesman said it had been changed before I got it, my reply was why would you want to change a oil pump on a truck with 290000km on clock,his reply was we were just doing it, yeah of course you were lol,

I suppose i,m lucky then as mine has now done 880k without it being changed

shuttlespanker:
from what i understand, it is not the engine that is/was the problem, it is the gear on the end of the oil pump that fails, causing the oil pump to stop working, thus causing an engine failure

Yeah, I didn’t get in to to specifics about what the problem was with him, thought the common rail system was a bit suspect but i’m not mechanicaly minded so didn’t take much notice.

Was always in a rush in them days, got complained about once from MAN Northampton for caning it round the yard, bird in the office rang up to complain, your drivers being a ■■■■, yeah, it’s me… :stuck_out_tongue: :laughing: :laughing:

Silver_Surfer:

shuttlespanker:

Yeah, I didn’t get in to to specifics about what the problem was with him, thought the common rail system was a bit suspect but i’m not mechanicaly minded so didn’t take much notice.

Was always in a rush in them days, got complained about once from MAN Northampton for caning it round the yard, bird in the office rang up to complain, your drivers being a ■■■■, yeah, it’s me… :stuck_out_tongue: :laughing: :laughing:

it’s great when that happens :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: