TFT Monitors

My TFT monitor decided to shuffle off this mortal coil on Christmas Eve. :frowning: :frowning:
Does any-one know if they are easily (and reasonably cheaply) repairable or if I will have to bite the bullet and buy a new one?

I would like to get it repaired if poss,as it has a USB hub built into the stand,which makes it a fairly neat installation.

Thanks in advance.

Usually expensive to repair which makes it uneconomical, given the way prices have dropped recently. How long a warranty did you get with it as a lot of manufacturers give a three year one. My son’s screen, an LG one, has packed up three times over the last three years and each time they just swapped it out, last time he even got a 17" instead of the 15" he had because they couldn’t supply a 15" at the time. My screen also has a three year warranty but I haven’t had to us it yet, mind you there is still a year to go so I live in hope. :wink: :smiley: :smiley:

There’s a mag called Micro Mart comes out every Thurs and costs about £2. It’s been a while since I got one…anyway it was full of adds for companies that repair TFTs or sell you a recon one.

I got one at Christams for my new p.c. and it is a cracker although i am new to t.f.t. this seems to be a top piece of kit and i would recommend it.

Its Xerox xa7-19i flat panel lcd monitor, is there a difference in that and a t.f.t. or is it just wordplay?.

When you say it’s knackered, what are the symptoms?

The reason I ask is that i’ve had a couple of laptops pass through my hands, given to me by people who thought they were knacked when in fact the problem was a not-too-difficult self-help.

The ‘weakest’ part of most TFT’s is the long thing illuminator that runs along the (usually bottom) edge of the screen. This is in effect a light bulb that lights the screen above. When it stops working many people wrongly assume the whole thing is broke. Depending on the actual construction of the facia etc it can be an easy or hard job.

The above only applies if the TFT is definately out of warranty and if the illuminator can be sourced at the right price. Bearing in mind I got a 17" TFT for under £140 and it has been a good 'un, don’t spend too much fixing it!!

Micro Mart was a good suggestion also.

marcustandy:
When you say it’s knackered, what are the symptoms?

The reason I ask is that i’ve had a couple of laptops pass through my hands, given to me by people who thought they were knacked when in fact the problem was a not-too-difficult self-help.

The ‘weakest’ part of most TFT’s is the long thing illuminator that runs along the (usually bottom) edge of the screen. This is in effect a light bulb that lights the screen above. When it stops working many people wrongly assume the whole thing is broke. Depending on the actual construction of the facia etc it can be an easy or hard job.

The above only applies if the TFT is definately out of warranty and if the illuminator can be sourced at the right price. Bearing in mind I got a 17" TFT for under £140 and it has been a good 'un, don’t spend too much fixing it!!

Micro Mart was a good suggestion also.

When I first switched on the computer the monitor was working fine,then after about 10mins the screen suddenly went black. There was no warning(flickering,distortion etc).

When I say it went black,I could still vaguely see larger areas of white(like the backgrounds on T/Net pages)but couldn’t see what was written in them.I tried the old favourite of switching the computer off and on again a few times but it wouldn’t come back to life.Eventually,even the white areas disappeared.

The monitor is a Packard-Bell Slimview 517.It’s just over 2 years old,but only had a 1 year warranty :frowning: :frowning:

I was thinking if it was repairable,I would go to about £100 for the repair.

Very similar symptoms to one of the laptops I managed to fix! Get an estimate before agreeing to the repair and if it is over your limit of £100, have a go at doing it yourself.

Google for some more info/pictures; it’s out there somewhere, I just can’t remember where. :confused: :wink:

Thanks for the responses,guys.

Will try and find an independant repairer to see if it is a viable repair.I don’t feel competent enough to tackle it myself.