Test question on being marked down

hi all just wondering how the marking system works for a particular circumstance

for not getting up to speed quickly enough you get marked down. but if over a 2 mile road you never get up to speed would you get constantly marked down every x amount of meters/miles or just once on the whole road■■?

also any idea on how many miles under the speed limit you can go before this mark triggers. just wondering

thanks all,
test day tomorrow

Best to ask one of the trainers on here for an answer

You need to be driving to the conditions, not to the speed limit.

It may be a de-restricted road where the technical limit for HGVs is 50mph, but if it is wet, winding, downhill etc then anywhere near 50mph is probably reckless. You need to judge what is ‘right’ in the circumstances, and that is what the examiner is looking at - your judgement.

I doubt it is as cold and calculating as you imply. If the examiner feels you could/should have got up to a higher speed on one particular occasion - or maybe two - then you may get a minor fault for not making adequate progress. If you continue to fail to make adequate progress then the examiner will sooner or later conclude that you are not ready to be let loose with an HGV licence and will fail you with a major fault for being generally too cautious and hesitant.

I speak from a position of ignorance, just applying what I see as common sense and presumption. Apologies if I’m wrong, one of our trainers will soon be along to correct me… :slight_smile:

ORC has given a good reply. Conditions are very important. My expression is that “you drive as fast as you can, all the time, safely and legally” and that works perfectly.

Marks cannot accrue. You can only get 1 mark for each fault. Not reaching speed quickly on 1 occasion wont be marked at all. But don’t let it develop as a habit.

It’s a bit of a strange question. Far better to get used to driving at the correct speeds.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Word of advice - dont worry about how they mark things and just drive sensibly.

There is a “not making progress” type mark (i forget its exact name) but its not just not getting to speed limits which are limits afterall, but general making progrsss such as being over hesitant at roundabouts.

Better to be hesitant than blazae and cause someone to slow down. I passed with two of those too slow things and was pretty cautious, so just dont worry. The examiners know if you’re up to standard. Good luck!

I like Pete’s expression, but suggest perhaps that I drive as fast as I need to, safely and legally. If I need to crack on to meet deadlines then I will, but I won’t break the speed limit - or the truck - not least because they’re monitoring my every move and will kick me out. However, if I’m running early then there’s no value in driving as fast as I can, I’ll ease back and enjoy the drive a little more. It saves fuel, it is less stressful, and it saves having to find somewhere to park up until the delivery slot opens.

I do tend to think that driving an HGV is probably a bit like being a basking shark. You can’t really do anything quickly, you lumber around in a considered, sedate fashion and it takes as long as it takes. Don’t be rushed into anything, take it at the speed you are comfortable with. If you rush things you’ll quickly get into a panic and that’s when mistakes happen. And mistakes in lorries can have hugely disproportionate consequences…death and destruction are only one moment of madness away.

Once again, hat off to ORC. My only point is that, for these purposes, we don’t have the luxury of running early so being able to potter about. My expression of “as fast as you can, safely and legally” really is as good as it gets for a driving test and I would encourage folks to take it on board.

Once you’ve passed, you should still drive no faster but you may have the opportunity to go steadier if time permits.

But first, pass the test.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Fault assessment is a complex subject and examiners use a range of Rules and Tools to arrive at the weight of a fault. Every action or decision you make has 5 possible levels.

1. No fault
    2…Not worthy of recording
  2. Driving fault (minor)
  3. Serious fault
  4. Dangerous fault

Before deciding which weight to apply examiners will ask themselves what would have to have happened to make it heavier or lighter. Ie you accelerate to 40 in a 50 road with no other vehicles behind you. It’s not perfect so it can’t be level 1 so initially it moves to level 2. You then encounter slow traffic and have to slow down so the Progress fault doesn’t get marked. However if you continued at 40 for longer or had your speed affected other road users it may have moved to level 3. After even more time and distance it is obvious the driver either doesn’t know the speed limit or doesn’t have the skill/experience to deal with that road properly. The examiner will let the whole scenario play out before assessing the fault weight.

Different types of faults require different assessment rules to be used but hopefully this gives you the basic idea and answer to the OP

I tend to talk to myself when I’m driving, theres nothing stopping you from something like.

“The suns a bit dazzling right now, I’m just holding back a bit until it clears up.”

“The roads narrow here, take it easy round the bend”

The examiner might no agree with what your thinking but at least they can tell your thinking and planning.