Tesla Semi - delivering failure since 2017

MJJ_ZX6RR:

Macski:
Being an ex engineer of electric cars you will be able to explain where will all the rare metals needed to make batteries will come from to make all these electric vehicles as well as storage for green generated electricity?

Your question is very valid, but it is also supremely isolated in context. Yes, rare earth materials are needed for batteries and many of those materials come from areas of the world that have significantly worse attitudes to human life and responsible mining.

The same applies to every other battery powered device, devices we are all perfectly happy to buy and use in their hundreds of millions. The same applies to catalytic converters, ECUs, screens, lasers and all sorts.

It also overlooks the frankly enormous damage inflicted on the planet during the extraction, refining and distributing of fuels. However, these are normal to us all having been in place for a hundred years or more. How quickly do we all forgive and forget the colossal disasters that a Piper Alpha, a Deepwater Horizon, or an Exxon Valdez inflict on the planet’s life.

Storage for green generated electricity is another good, and valid question. Batteries are a really good solution for this, but there are many solutions to this that don’t involve the obvious deployment of vast battery farms - for example pumping quantities of water uphill to later generate hydroelectric energy. Using all the batteries that already exist is a part solution too, and are fitted into the electric vehicles currently being used - vehicle to infrastructure load balancing in other words.

The biggest challenge is our human nature. As a generalised population, we dislike change. We resist it. Life is tough, full of challenges and it takes huge percentages of our day to day attention just surviving and raising our families. Why would we want to risk something new, something unproven, something potentially ground-breaking when in the short term, it looks like my life gets slightly worse?

I too absolutely love my ICE vehicles. I have three cars, five motorbikes and an ICE lawnmower. I am the definition of a hypocrite given what I have just written. However, we all need protecting from ourselves through legislated and mandated improvements in technologies for the greater good.

Martin.

I am not against change, would love a decent EV if I could afford one.

But there isn’t enough cobolt or lithium mined in the world in order to replace ICE car manufacturing just in the UK, and then there are questions of whether the electric supply could cope and where do you charge all these vehicles.

Meanwhile I need to replace my battery for my Alfa and wondering which battery to get :slight_smile:

Macski:
But there isn’t enough cobolt or lithium mined in the world in order to replace ICE car manufacturing just in the UK, and then there are questions of whether the electric supply could cope and where do you charge all these vehicles.

Again, the material supply point is a true statement and a very valid concern, but isolated in context.

Supply and Demand means we mine what we need. General consensus (one example from the World Economic Forum - Electric vehicle demand – has the world got enough lithium? | World Economic Forum) is that there is enough lithium reserves on the planet, but how realistic it is to mine is still up for debate.

Scientists and Engineers will find solutions that require less of the rare elements. We will get better at recycling these elements from existing batteries. As customers understand how to fit an EV into their life, the size of batteries in each car will be reduced.

The national grid have confirmed many times that there is enough electricity and infrastructure to support a high paced EV rollout. They will scale as needed too.

However, we should all avoid letting a future theoretical challenge stop us making small progress steps today.

In the early 1900s when the horse and cart owners were presented with internal combustion engine as progress, there were very few petrol stations and no plan as to how enough oil could be extracted.

When the demand is there, companies will find solutions to satisfy the demand.

I do agree 100% with the cost point. The starting point for a new EV these days (excluding the quadricycle type vehicle) is about £30k, but as the number of used EVs increases, that will improve too.

I am very cheap when it comes to cars, and the most I have spent on a car in decades is £4k. I like to buy cheap and keep another car on the road. However, for those of us buying brand new, there is very little (outside emotion and possibly misplaced fear) to stop us going EV on the next purchase.

The same arguments and conclusions apply to the electric HGV too in my mind. More expensive and with some question marks about how operating one in practice will work. If we all expect an EV HGV to operate exactly the same as a diesel one, we will arrive at 2035 and be surprised to find that we cannot buy a truck any more.

Martin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MJJ_ZX6RR:
It also overlooks the frankly enormous damage inflicted on the planet during the extraction, refining and distributing of fuels. However, these are normal to us all having been in place for a hundred years or more. How quickly do we all forgive and forget the colossal disasters that a Piper Alpha, a Deepwater Horizon, or an Exxon Valdez inflict on the planet’s life.

I wasn’t forgetting these disasters, although they were, in general, one off disasters.
Europe and the US have put in legislation to try and prevent similar disasters in the future, other countries too… Although there’s nothing to stop big companies cutting corners, provided they don’t get caught, again.

I’m more concerned about the UK, EU and US Green Policies. For anything made in these territories, they are great. But these same policies make manufacturing very expensive within these territories. So the BIG companies either put their plants in other countries who don’t have similar green policies, or farm out the manufacturing to companies already established there. China and India for example. And our green policies only start at our borders, so tv’s made in China, with very little if any green credentials, are cheap here. The same applies to Lithium etc mining. If it was being mined using the same methods here, groups would be up in arms about it, quite rightly so. But because it happens abroad, it has nothing to do with us.
But of course, it does. We are the ones creating the demand, for cheap tv’s, EV’s, and so on. Those countries have the required resources and are making the most of the opportunity.
But I think WE are setting them up for another Piper Alpha, Exxon Valdez, that big chemical factory fire in India that killed thousands (I’ve forgotten the name), disaster of their own.

Which again will be, ‘their problem, nothing to do with us’.
But is it REALLY ‘nothing to do with us’ ■■?

^^^ steady on Simon, you’re perilously close there to being the boy who pointed out the emporer really wasn’t wearing any clothes.

Simon:
I’m more concerned about the UK, EU and US Green Policies. For anything made in these territories, they are great. But these same policies make manufacturing very expensive within these territories. So the BIG companies either put their plants in other countries who don’t have similar green policies, or farm out the manufacturing to companies already established there.

Very much agree with all you have said Simon. The only real solution that I can see is to radically change our behaviour as consumers - somehow convince us (or tax us) to prioritise environmental impact instead of just price. I think the current teenagers/young 20s generation will likely do this naturally, but us oldies with the spending power? Not so much.

However, despite all this, the whole argument often trotted out these days as ‘but China/India/Shipping/US Fridges are all far bigger polluters than me - why should I change when they won’t?’ Is hugely damaging globally.

Martin.

MJJ_ZX6RR:

Macski:

Again, the material supply point is a true statement and a very valid concern, but isolated in context.

Supply and Demand means we mine what we need. General consensus (one example from the World Economic Forum - Electric vehicle demand – has the world got enough lithium? | World Economic Forum) is that there is enough lithium reserves on the planet, but how realistic it is to mine is still up for debate.

Scientists and Engineers will find solutions that require less of the rare elements. We will get better at recycling these elements from existing batteries. As customers understand how to fit an EV into their life, the size of batteries in each car will be reduced.

The national grid have confirmed many times that there is enough electricity and infrastructure to support a high paced EV rollout. They will scale as needed too.

However, we should all avoid letting a future theoretical challenge stop us making small progress steps today.

In the early 1900s when the horse and cart owners were presented with internal combustion engine as progress, there were very few petrol stations and no plan as to how enough oil could be extracted.

I do agree 100% with the cost point. The starting point for a new EV these days (excluding the quadricycle type vehicle) is about £30k, but as the number of used EVs increases, that will improve too.

I am very cheap when it comes to cars, and the most I have spent on a car in decades is £4k. I like to buy cheap and keep another car on the road. However, for those of us buying brand new, there is very little (outside emotion and possibly misplaced fear) to stop us going EV on the next purchase.

The same arguments and conclusions apply to the electric HGV too in my mind. More expensive and with some question marks about how operating one in practice will work. If we all expect an EV HGV to operate exactly the same as a diesel one, we will arrive at 2035 and be surprised to find that we cannot buy a truck any more.

Martin.

MJJ_ZX6RR:

Macski:

Martin.

Batteries have been around a very long time and while the technology has come a long way in recent years there will be a limit to it, as for lithium the report does say if it is of sufficient standard and can be got at, what about the other metals? It is not isolated in context because they are needed and while one day there might be a solution, one day their might be a cure for cancer.

Why can’t scientist and engineers come up with a non polluting ICE car. there is a demand for it.

As for the national grid coping, yers they say it can cope, here is another but, it can’t. Look at the details, they are talking about smart chargers that will reduce and cut off EV charging. The demand will go up by 1000,s of percent, why was the grid built with so much excess capacity tpo cope and how do you get EV charging to people in terrace houses for example, they can’t fast charge to often.

However you know why I know the electric supply can’t cope, it can’t now, there have been outages in the USA and UK can’t always produce enough power and needs to buy it in. If you look at most countries there isn’t much excess generating capacity to cope with all these EV cars and trucks and to get rid of gas heating…

These scientists and engineers best get a move on with their solutions, yet they are leaving to become truck drivers :wink:

Macski:
These scientists and engineers best get a move on with their solutions, yet they are leaving to become truck drivers :wink:

[emoji23][emoji106]

Serious question though as I am genuinely interested - what would these solutions need to look like to be more convincing?

We already have:

• electric cars suitable for the majority, with performance in excess of comparable ICE, desirable (subjective of course), proven reliable and available at a price point similar to ICE cars.
  • hydrogen fuel cell cars from Toyota and Hyundai for those that absolutely must do more than 300 miles per day.
  • fast charging (150 miles in 20 minutes) infrastructure at motorway services and petrol stations.
  • 7kW (easily charge a car overnight) charging available to anyone with a house and reasonable access to get a car near.

I would argue the solutions have been in place for a number of years now.

Martin.

MJJ_ZX6RR:

Macski:

[emoji23][emoji106]

Serious question though as I am genuinely interested - what would these solutions need to look like to be more convincing?

We already have:

• electric cars suitable for the majority, with performance in excess of comparable ICE, desirable (subjective of course), proven reliable and available at a price point similar to ICE cars.
  • hydrogen fuel cell cars from Toyota and Hyundai for those that absolutely must do more than 300 miles per day.
  • fast charging (150 miles in 20 minutes) infrastructure at motorway services and petrol stations.
  • 7kW (easily charge a car overnight) charging available to anyone with a house and reasonable access to get a car near.

Martin.

EV cars are great and the range for ‘most’ people they are fine. IN order not write crap, well not to much, I went to see how much an EV with a reasonable range costs now and was surprised a Renault Zoe is £23,0000 new!!!

Trucks for UK operation, ■■? might work, lots and lots of infrastructure to put in. Although it won’t work for companies which run their trucks in a 24hr operation. if you rapid charge all the time you will kill the batteries?

But getting enough raw materials to make the batteries, to generate enough electricity and to put on the charging infrastructure is a huge and expensive challenge and it should be being addressed now, which as a layperson I don’t see happening.

Thank you for continuing to share your views Macski. As an ex-engineer who has spent years researching, engineering and testing these EVs, I am continually intrigued how it is that so much of the population has views that are so opposite to what I know to be the case. That is not meant to be a personal criticism, and it may well be that I am wrong, but my views are shared with my peer engineers, auto makers, scientists and many research institutes.

One of the great things about being humans living in a democracy is that we are allowed our views, and are encouraged to debate them freely.

Macski:
EV cars are great and the range for ‘most’ people they are fine. IN order not write crap, well not to much, I went to see how much an EV with a reasonable range costs now and was surprised a Renault Zoe is £23,0000 new!!!

It’s worse than that I think, as there is a battery lease cost on top - however a normal ICE Clio starts from £19k and with a specification/trim roughly equivalent to the Zoe, it starts at £24k. Inflation, and supply shortage means all cars are expensive.

When you save £100 per month, every month in fuel costs by going EV though, that relatively small cost uplift at purchase is quickly recovered even before you count the much higher retained value of EVs when you sell down the line.

Macski:
Trucks for UK operation, ■■? might work, lots and lots of infrastructure to put in. Although it won’t work for companies which run their trucks in a 24hr operation. if you rapid charge all the time you will kill the batteries?

This is not really the case any more. Yes, the first generation Nissan Leaf (in 2009 by the way) with its air cooled battery suffered a little from constant fast charging. Since then, batteries have been water cooled and designed to fast charge without any material detriment to their life and performance. This is why the batteries in EVs can be given such long warranties by their manufacturers.

Macski:
But getting enough raw materials to make the batteries, to generate enough electricity and to put on the charging infrastructure is a huge and expensive challenge and it should be being addressed now, which as a layperson I don’t see happening.

As I said above, I disagree and feel very confident that there are enough raw materials and enough electricity to support even a fast paced take up of EVs. May organisations with no bias in this argument (like the WEF article I linked earlier) support this.

However, the prevailing view in some of the general population is that we must have all of the materials/electricity/renewables/storage etc. that we are going to need in 15 years time, and we must have these in place today. Why? There is no other aspect of life where that would be a sensible, pragmatic strategy.

I conclude that it is back to my comment about human nature and dislike of change. None of us want to be seen as resistant to change though, so we find arguments to support that view. I include myself in that statement too as I have not moved yet to EV, in my case because I don’t want to spend the money. I could, but don’t, so am just as much of a hypocrite :smiley:

Martin.

MJJ_ZX6RR:
Thank you for continuing to share your views Macski. As an ex-engineer who has spent years researching, engineering and testing these EVs, I am continually intrigued how it is that so much of the population has views that are so opposite to what I know to be the case. That is not meant to be a personal criticism, and it may well be that I am wrong, but my views are shared with my peer engineers, auto makers, scientists and many research institutes.

One of the great things about being humans living in a democracy is that we are allowed our views, and are encouraged to debate them freely.

Macski:

It’s worse than that I think, as there is a battery lease cost on top - however a normal ICE Clio starts from £19k and with a specification/trim roughly equivalent to the Zoe, it starts at £24k. Inflation, and supply shortage means all cars are expensive.

When you save £100 per month, every month in fuel costs by going EV though, that relatively small cost uplift at purchase is quickly recovered even before you count the much higher retained value of EVs when you sell down the line.

Macski:

This is not really the case any more. Yes, the first generation Nissan Leaf (in 2009 by the way) with its air cooled battery suffered a little from constant fast charging. Since then, batteries have been water cooled and designed to fast charge without any material detriment to their life and performance. This is why the batteries in EVs can be given such long warranties by their manufacturers.

Macski:

As I said above, I disagree and feel very confident that there are enough raw materials and enough electricity to support even a fast paced take up of EVs. May organisations with no bias in this argument (like the WEF article I linked earlier) support this.

However, the prevailing view in some of the general population is that we must have all of the materials/electricity/renewables/storage etc. that we are going to need in 15 years time, and we must have these in place today. Why? There is no other aspect of life where that would be a sensible, pragmatic strategy.

I conclude that it is back to my comment about human nature and dislike of change. None of us want to be seen as resistant to change though, so we find arguments to support that view. I include myself in that statement too as I have not moved yet to EV, in my case because I don’t want to spend the money. I could, but don’t, so am just as much of a hypocrite :smiley:

Martin.

Not opposed to change but I am hearing things that are opposite to what i have heard before, such as fast charging doesn’t damage batteries, that their isn’t a problem in the supply of the metals needed, that their is capacity in our power generating infrastructure for charging an ever increased number of EVs and providing the charging points won’t cost much.

Doesn’t Telsa cars permanently cut off fast charging if you do it to often?

I might be coming across a little sarcastic, but not meant to, but basically that is what your saying?.

I am looking at getting back into computer installation and thought I had a job (but no offer received) looked at buying an EV but would probably get a small car like a Polo, outlay far smaller and more economical to fuel

the maoster:
Is anyone actually surprised at this mahoosive white elephant?

Meanwhile vast tracts of the earth are raped and turned into desolate wastelands in the never ending search for lithium.

Does anyone still have a four year old smartphone with the original battery?

6 years and running strong.

zen369:

the maoster:
Is anyone actually surprised at this mahoosive white elephant?

Meanwhile vast tracts of the earth are raped and turned into desolate wastelands in the never ending search for lithium.

Does anyone still have a four year old smartphone with the original battery?

6 years and running strong.

I have a windows Nokia Lumia, I am not sure how old it is, I guess about 6 or 7 years, still holds its charge, I wonder if it would work if i put a SIM in it?

I think it could be true…I fly electric radio control planes have done since the days of NI CADS, NMIH , AND NOW LIPO,S.The jump in capacity and jump in power is out of this world,I have just finished using the first ones I got over ten years ago,treated wrong then can catch fire , they are not expensive they have become smaller lighter faster to charge and release power.I know these are only model aircraft but cars and trucks will be the same scaled up so I would not write them off

MJJ_ZX6RR:
Electric trucks are the future, despite wishing otherwise. In a mere 12 years (for Europe and the UK) no more brand new Class 2 combustion vehicles. In 17 years, no more Class 1.

Electric propulsion is infinitely better for our environment, our public health, and our total power consumption for road traffic.

Unladen trucks will need to be a 3-4 tons heavier for a good while, as battery technology has not had the 100+ years of R&D that ICE has so far. Governments will likely legislate additional gross weight to accommodate.

All that torque will be magnificent for us drivers, and the free energy from regeneration will play well into those drivers who only know full throttle and hard braking.

For those trucks doing big miles 24x7, adaptions will need to be made to planning to accommodate charging but even charging an HGV within a 15 minute break is very possible with today’s technology. Needs investment in very high power chargers though of course.

I am not sure Tesla will threaten the established HGV players too much until they prove that their semis can last the 1 million plus miles that many need - but they are taking risks and innovating faster than Daimler et al.

Martin (new C+E driver, but old engineer of electric cars).

What’s he excuse, for trains, London Underground has been electrical for many years, even the old 1972 stock on Victoria line had regen brakes …. Don’t give the nonsense of environmental …. Simple stop felling trees, stop the constant use of open spaces to build …. Floods are created by us humans taking away all the natural drainage plains etc …. You buy into the climate scam … it’s the rich doing so, to get richer.

I recall a young girl back in 1992, saying what needed doing and all governments kick the can, down the road, and make people lie, you buy into the fake environment issues.

Even milk floats were better than this nonsense today.

Macski:

MJJ_ZX6RR:

Macski:

[emoji23][emoji106]

We already have:

Martin.

It’s not just the range it’s the recharge time.
I have no problem with driving all over Europe at 15mpg refilling around every 250 miles.
Most EVs won’t even make it that far on a full charge in the real world let alone the recharge time when it runs out of charge probably sooner rather than later.
As for the cost good luck with paying 50p-£1 per kWh + fuel duty + 20% VAT.
The whole idea is retrograde technology that was rightly abandoned at the dawn of motoring and economically unsustainable and anything but green.
In addition to obviously being all about control of travel.
As for trucks, even at the most optimistic of battery energy densities, won’t work in the real world at anything less than around 60t gross nor by implication the artic configuration.

Carryfast:

lancpudn:
Seems 44 companies including Maersk, Unilever & DFDS have written a letter calling for Zero emission trucks by 2035, Allowing a five year exemption for vocational trucks. :open_mouth: transportenvironment.org/di … cks-in-eu/
What will happen in 2035 when you roll up at the gatehouse with a fossil fuel truck? Nah mate **** off with that thing you ain’t coming on site with it.
The Tesla Semi at 1.7kWh/mile will cost a bob or two to fully charge that huge heavy traction pack, Volvo Scania electric trucks manage between 2.2-2.8kWh/mile, Renault electric HGV’s 2kWh/mile
They’ll be able to save money on fitting night heaters in the cabs as the traction pack under the bunk will be fizzing & sizzling all night whilst it’s plugged into a 1 Megawatt charger. :grimacing:

It obviously takes over 20kwh average to move a truck around 9 miles at 9 mpg depending on terrain.
Good luck with the 1 MW charger at £1,000 per mWh + road fuel duty and 20% VAT.
There’s still plenty of time to smash the climate scam before we allow it to smash the economy let alone with a nuke disaster added to the costs.

I do love the bee you have in the bonnet over nuclear :smiley: But in good news we’ve had a huge fusion breakthrough this month when they managed to produce power for first time. It’s not over exaggerating to say fusion has the potential to save humanity.

Carryfast:

Macski:

MJJ_ZX6RR:

Macski:

[emoji23][emoji106]

We already have:

Martin.

It’s not just the range it’s the recharge time.
I have no problem with driving all over Europe at 15mpg refilling around every 250 miles.
Most EVs won’t even make it that far on a full charge in the real world let alone the recharge time when it runs out of charge probably sooner rather than later.
As for the cost good luck with paying 50p-£1 per kWh + fuel duty + 20% VAT.
The whole idea is retrograde technology that was rightly abandoned at the dawn of motoring and economically unsustainable and anything but green.
In addition to obviously being all about control of travel.
As for trucks, even at the most optimistic of battery energy densities, won’t work in the real world at anything less than around 60t gross nor by implication the artic configuration.

Come on, EVs have been an amazing break through and are great in many situations, If a EV truck can do 500 miles you probably reached your limits with how much you can drive anyway for the day.

however in my mind it is doubtful whether we can abandon ICE vehicles within the time span our politicians have set.

I keep reading about problems with delivering EVs, the supply of raw materials needed, power generation, supply of charging points and cost of their supply but here we have a professional in the industry telling us it is not a problem. I don’t know?

I see a lot of videos from Oslo as a example of what can be achieved and how brilliantly it works, with many, ICE cars being replaced by EVs, but only Oslo these videos never show how practical an EV is outside Oslo, for people in isolated villages out in the mountains. Also in order to achieve this the government gave a lot of concessions, concessions it is now taking back.

The technology can only be pushed so far and because there have been break through’s in recent years does not mean it will continue. One reads of using sand and salt as batteries but how far away is this technology?

MJJ_ZX6RR:

Yup, I too am finding the widespread hostility to electric vehicles surprising. Fine I can get how some wouldn’t like one as their personal vehicle but so many including on this post lorry drivers are adamant they won’t drive them, why I wonder? Why does the power source of a vehicle you simply drive concern them so much I wonder? For employed drivers everything around them, recharging infrastructure, maintenance etc isn’t anything for them to worry about so why stress over something that’s not your concern. Baffling. I’m really looking forward to a spin in an electric vehicle.

switchlogic:

MJJ_ZX6RR:

Yup, I too am finding the widespread hostility to electric vehicles surprising. Fine I can get how some wouldn’t like one as their personal vehicle but so many including on this post lorry drivers are adamant they won’t drive them, why I wonder? Why does the power source of a vehicle you simply drive concern them so much I wonder? For employed drivers everything around them, recharging infrastructure, maintenance etc isn’t anything for them to worry about so why stress over something that’s not your concern. Baffling. I’m really looking forward to a spin in an electric vehicle.

Probably because they will never have or have to give up the V8 badge on the sideskirt , grill and dash . You can laugh but how far from the truth would that be for some / most of them ?

!
bbc.com/news/science-environment-63950962

It won`t be all over by Christmas, but…hopeful. :smiley: