Tesla Semi - delivering failure since 2017

Seems 44 companies including Maersk, Unilever & DFDS have written a letter calling for Zero emission trucks by 2035, Allowing a five year exemption for vocational trucks. :open_mouth: transportenvironment.org/di … cks-in-eu/
What will happen in 2035 when you roll up at the gatehouse with a fossil fuel truck? Nah mate **** off with that thing you ain’t coming on site with it.
The Tesla Semi at 1.7kWh/mile will cost a bob or two to fully charge that huge heavy traction pack, Volvo Scania electric trucks manage between 2.2-2.8kWh/mile, Renault electric HGV’s 2kWh/mile
They’ll be able to save money on fitting night heaters in the cabs as the traction pack under the bunk will be fizzing & sizzling all night whilst it’s plugged into a 1 Megawatt charger. :grimacing:

lancpudn:
Seems 44 companies including Maersk, Unilever & DFDS have written a letter calling for Zero emission trucks by 2035, Allowing a five year exemption for vocational trucks. :open_mouth: transportenvironment.org/di … cks-in-eu/
What will happen in 2035 when you roll up at the gatehouse with a fossil fuel truck? Nah mate **** off with that thing you ain’t coming on site with it.
The Tesla Semi at 1.7kWh/mile will cost a bob or two to fully charge that huge heavy traction pack, Volvo Scania electric trucks manage between 2.2-2.8kWh/mile, Renault electric HGV’s 2kWh/mile
They’ll be able to save money on fitting night heaters in the cabs as the traction pack under the bunk will be fizzing & sizzling all night whilst it’s plugged into a 1 Megawatt charger. :grimacing:

It obviously takes over 20kwh average to move a truck around 9 miles at 9 mpg depending on terrain.
Good luck with the 1 MW charger at £1,000 per mWh + road fuel duty and 20% VAT.
There’s still plenty of time to smash the climate scam before we allow it to smash the economy let alone with a nuke disaster added to the costs.

lancpudn:

This is going to last until the 1st time one of them catches fire. According to the fire brigade it’s virtually impossible to extinguish much like fuel fires only worse. They will probably have to have extra fire hydrants installed on all charging sites. Also no way I’m ever sleeping in one of these as the fire (chemical explosion more like) will instantly engulf the whole thing even if one survives by a miracle to escape the burns will be lethal more likely or the toxic fumes. F that

lancpudn:

Wonder how many of these virtue signalling outfits operate their own artics.
As ETS, once a few of these wonder wagons have burst into instant flame and incinerated anyone within 20 yards who couldn’t get away in time then burned for a week, who are they going to get to drive them, i know one old bugger who won’t be doing it :sunglasses:

Juddian:

lancpudn:

As ETS, once a few of these wonder wagons have burst into instant flame and incinerated anyone within 20 yards who couldn’t get away in time then burned for a week, who are they going to get to drive them, i know one old bugger who won’t be doing it :sunglasses:

Which is of course, why Fuel companies can never get anyone to drive their tankers.

Juddian:

lancpudn:

To be fair, that serious danger to life, can be dealt with, by having a man stand next to the truck, with a red flag.

Well, it worked for that infernal invention of the devil himself, the internal combustion engine. That was another pie in the sky idea…

Juddian:

lancpudn:

They are probably big enough to pay raise the finance for a fleet replacement program and kill off the competition who are not.

Juddian:

lancpudn:

You can add. a nuclear disaster or two to that.Thats the house and food supply gone.

Electric trucks are the future, despite wishing otherwise. In a mere 12 years (for Europe and the UK) no more brand new Class 2 combustion vehicles. In 17 years, no more Class 1.

Electric propulsion is infinitely better for our environment, our public health, and our total power consumption for road traffic.

Unladen trucks will need to be a 3-4 tons heavier for a good while, as battery technology has not had the 100+ years of R&D that ICE has so far. Governments will likely legislate additional gross weight to accommodate.

All that torque will be magnificent for us drivers, and the free energy from regeneration will play well into those drivers who only know full throttle and hard braking.

For those trucks doing big miles 24x7, adaptions will need to be made to planning to accommodate charging but even charging an HGV within a 15 minute break is very possible with today’s technology. Needs investment in very high power chargers though of course.

I am not sure Tesla will threaten the established HGV players too much until they prove that their semis can last the 1 million plus miles that many need - but they are taking risks and innovating faster than Daimler et al.

Martin (new C+E driver, but old engineer of electric cars).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MJJ_ZX6RR:

So, Martin - why did you leave your job of the future to get a job in a dying industry (driving) since as you probably know by 2020 (at the latest) all cars, trucks etc. will be fully autonomous and self driving and you’re going to be out of a job :blush: Ok it didn’t happen by 2020 but surely 2023 will be the final year

MJJ_ZX6RR:
Electric trucks are the future, despite wishing otherwise. In a mere 12 years (for Europe and the UK) no more brand new Class 2 combustion vehicles. In 17 years, no more Class 1.

Electric propulsion is infinitely better for our environment, our public health, and our total power consumption for road traffic.

Unladen trucks will need to be a 3-4 tons heavier for a good while, as battery technology has not had the 100+ years of R&D that ICE has so far. Governments will likely legislate additional gross weight to accommodate.

All that torque will be magnificent for us drivers, and the free energy from regeneration will play well into those drivers who only know full throttle and hard braking.

For those trucks doing big miles 24x7, adaptions will need to be made to planning to accommodate charging but even charging an HGV within a 15 minute break is very possible with today’s technology. Needs investment in very high power chargers though of course.

I am not sure Tesla will threaten the established HGV players too much until they prove that their semis can last the 1 million plus miles that many need - but they are taking risks and innovating faster than Daimler et al.

Finally someone talking some sense.

1.7kWh/mile and 500mile range, I dont see the established HGV players catching up on battery tech anytime soon. Once the 4680’s take over the gap will be even bigger.

I’m looking forward to driving one eventually. All that Torque and much better visability (no more blindside).

MJJ_ZX6RR:

Being an ex engineer of electric cars you will be able to explain where will all the rare metals needed to make batteries will come from to make all these electric vehicles as well as storage for green generated electricity?

MJJ_ZX6RR:

Engineers of electric cars were made redundant before 1910.
Good for the environment assuming that you think nuclear, biomass and solar farms wiping out farmland are green.
The only way you’ll recharge a truck in 15 minutes is if it can withstand a fire.
At the equivalent of over £2 per litre + fuel tax and 20% VAT.
Efficiency you mean boilers and steam turbines that are less efficient than ICE let alone transmission losses along the grid.
The emissions of which are the real Greenhouse gas water vapour to add to the nuclear waste problem.
As opposed to LPG fuelled ICE.
Regenerative braking either way it ain’t free energy especially at more than twice the price of petrol.

Cant comment on the other producers but isn’t Telsa using LFP batteries in it’s mass storage and standard range EV’s? I know back in April it was claimed that 50% of new cars produced contained LFP batteries which contain no Nickel or Cobalt and are instead based on Iron and phosphates which are very common in the Earth’s crust. No doubt this % has increased considering it’s cheaper and more sustainable.

Recycling lithium-ion batteries is also going to be big business. One of the benifits of dry cells, all those high grade minerals waiting to be ground up and reused. Redwood materials is one of the companys i’ve been following (hoping for IPO one day), just happens to be run by one of the former Tesla founders. Going to be alot cheaper to recyle these battery cells than mining/refining the raw materials.

Macski:
Being an ex engineer of electric cars you will be able to explain where will all the rare metals needed to make batteries will come from to make all these electric vehicles as well as storage for green generated electricity?

In the same way that diesel truck engineers are experts in oil prospecting, drilling, and refining?

ETS:

MJJ_ZX6RR:

So, Martin - why did you leave your job of the future to get a job in a dying industry (driving) since as you probably know by 2020 (at the latest) all cars, trucks etc. will be fully autonomous and self driving and you’re going to be out of a job :blush: Ok it didn’t happen by 2020 but surely 2023 will be the final year

I appreciate you are exaggerating to make a very valid point, but I am of the opinion that autonomy is still a number of decades away yet. This is down to legislation, liability and public acceptance rather than technology.

Piloting an HGV autonomously on the long, boring stretches of motorway is entirely possible, and was 10 years ago. Even the edge cases (highways lane closure, vehicle travelling wrong way on carriageway, horse escaped etc.) can all generally be coped with, albeit very carefully and slowly. Off motorway, and particularly the whole last mile bit is much harder but also eminently possible technically - remote drivers in a call centre to handle situations the vehicle is not programmed for is the easy solution too.

However, what happens when an autonomous HGV gets it wrong and ploughs through 10 cars killing several people? Who will be blamed? Who will compensate for the loss and damage? How will the public react to the first of these instances - my guess is a knee-jerk ‘ban all autonomous vehicles’ type reaction that politicians will never want to have to deal with. Thus, the pace of legislation advancement is the biggest hurdle in my opinion.

HGVs will likely be first as the decision makers in this industry are driven by hard economics, not fashion nor emotion. When will they be approved for use on road by the government is the more important question.

However to answer the ‘why did I change’ question, I wanted to escape the stress, politics, and ‘always on’ nature of a career managing teams. I have always romanticised the idea of driving HGVs, so hence that is the way I went. I am pretty confident I will be retired before I am replaced by an autonomous truck.

Martin

Jibber:
Cant comment on the other producers but isn’t Telsa using LFP batteries in it’s mass storage and standard range EV’s? I know back in April it was claimed that 50% of new cars produced contained LFP batteries which contain no Nickel or Cobalt and are instead based on Iron and phosphates which are very common in the Earth’s crust. No doubt this % has increased considering it’s cheaper and more sustainable.

What is LFP? I’ve never heard/seen those initials before, in regard to batteries.

Jibber:
Recycling lithium-ion batteries is also going to be big business. One of the benifits of dry cells, all those high grade minerals waiting to be ground up and reused. Redwood materials is one of the companys i’ve been following (hoping for IPO one day), just happens to be run by one of the former Tesla founders. Going to be alot cheaper to recyle these battery cells than mining/refining the raw materials.

It’s going to be big business?
Why isn’t it big business, when there are already tonnes of worn out batteries waiting to be recycled?
As far as I know, there are only one or two plants capable of recycling dry cell batteries just now, in Britain, and it definitely isn’t cheap.

Jibber:

Most battery packs in Chinese electric cars are LFP made by CATL, They’re not quite as energy dense as ternary batteries but can take more charges/discharges than ternary batteries.
Some new regulations from the EU regarding recycling battery materials just announced whereas it will be tracked from manufacture to end of life & all electric car batteries will have to be recycled 100% by 2030. euractiv.com/section/energy … new-rules/

Tees valley Lithium has just been granted planning permission to open Europe’s largest independent lithium hydroxide plant on the Wilton international chemicals park at Teeside. teesvalleylithium.co.uk/

Macski:

Your question is very valid, but it is also supremely isolated in context. Yes, rare earth materials are needed for batteries and many of those materials come from areas of the world that have significantly worse attitudes to human life and responsible mining.

The same applies to every other battery powered device, devices we are all perfectly happy to buy and use in their hundreds of millions. The same applies to catalytic converters, ECUs, screens, lasers and all sorts.

It also overlooks the frankly enormous damage inflicted on the planet during the extraction, refining and distributing of fuels. However, these are normal to us all having been in place for a hundred years or more. How quickly do we all forgive and forget the colossal disasters that a Piper Alpha, a Deepwater Horizon, or an Exxon Valdez inflict on the planet’s life.

Storage for green generated electricity is another good, and valid question. Batteries are a really good solution for this, but there are many solutions to this that don’t involve the obvious deployment of vast battery farms - for example pumping quantities of water uphill to later generate hydroelectric energy. Using all the batteries that already exist is a part solution too, and are fitted into the electric vehicles currently being used - vehicle to infrastructure load balancing in other words.

The biggest challenge is our human nature. As a generalised population, we dislike change. We resist it. Life is tough, full of challenges and it takes huge percentages of our day to day attention just surviving and raising our families. Why would we want to risk something new, something unproven, something potentially ground-breaking when in the short term, it looks like my life gets slightly worse?

I too absolutely love my ICE vehicles. I have three cars, five motorbikes and an ICE lawnmower. I am the definition of a hypocrite given what I have just written. However, we all need protecting from ourselves through legislated and mandated improvements in technologies for the greater good.

Martin.

MJJ_ZX6RR:

Macski:

Your question is very valid, but it is also supremely isolated in context. Yes, rare earth materials are needed for batteries and many of those materials come from areas of the world that have significantly worse attitudes to human life and responsible mining.

The same applies to every other battery powered device, devices we are all perfectly happy to buy and use in their hundreds of millions. The same applies to catalytic converters, ECUs, screens, lasers and all sorts.

It also overlooks the frankly enormous damage inflicted on the planet during the extraction, refining and distributing of fuels. However, these are normal to us all having been in place for a hundred years or more. How quickly do we all forgive and forget the colossal disasters that a Piper Alpha, a Deepwater Horizon, or an Exxon Valdez inflict on the planet’s life.

Storage for green generated electricity is another good, and valid question. Batteries are a really good solution for this, but there are many solutions to this that don’t involve the obvious deployment of vast battery farms - for example pumping quantities of water uphill to later generate hydroelectric energy. Using all the batteries that already exist is a part solution too, and are fitted into the electric vehicles currently being used - vehicle to infrastructure load balancing in other words.

The biggest challenge is our human nature. As a generalised population, we dislike change. We resist it. Life is tough, full of challenges and it takes huge percentages of our day to day attention just surviving and raising our families. Why would we want to risk something new, something unproven, something potentially ground-breaking when in the short term, it looks like my life gets slightly worse?

I too absolutely love my ICE vehicles. I have three cars, five motorbikes and an ICE lawnmower. I am the definition of a hypocrite given what I have just written. However, we all need protecting from ourselves through legislated and mandated improvements in technologies for the greater good.

Martin.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ that.

You have perfectly worded the human condition, and why we will, eventually, kicking and screaming in some cases, change to electric.

I caught a small piece of a programme on the radio the other day, where they discussed sending electricity from solar arrays in space, to earth via microwaves (obviously not the kitchen appliance… :unamused: ). If that is feasible, that would open up a 24/7 supply of electricity,