Tescos or similar?

I am going to start making a really big effort to look for a new job as I am not very happy at work at the moment. What I was wanting to know was what the tesco job or similar, sainsburys asda jobs etc are like ? Never done any supermarket work before but for some strange reason always fancied it. Must
be because it looks like a good steady clean job, sticking to speed limits and so forth. The one that I am thinking of would be tescos at doncaster run by wincanton. Is there a big difference between the ones that are run inhouse and those such as wincanton, tibbet and britain etc ? Is it true that you know what you are doing a year in advance because of the rota ? just something I heard. Might even sign up with an agency to get in and have a go to see if I like it when I have a bit of time off work. many thanks for any info. :smiley:

i work for asda at wakefield
the job is steady if slightly boring
we have a rolling 10 week rota so i know my start times as far ahead as you like,unless they change it
the units are all in good nick,trailers get hammered
we work 6 saturdays out of ten and 5 sundays
we have a 45 hour week 5 x 9 hours paid clock to clock with a £3.25 meal allowance a day
we are overstaffed at the minute and have not set on since dec 03
so there are no jobs here at the minute
jon

One of my neighbours works out of Doncaster. he works some odd shifts but he says the job is a doddle.

The other day when I was talking to him, he told me he started at 2am to do a couple of drops in Sunderland. Got his head down for a bit (to avoid morning rush hour) then ran home and was back in the house for lunchtime.

I think they might be taking more drivers on as it looks like they are extending the warehouse.

Have you tried Manpower? They are recruiting for Wincanton at Maltby on the Bacon contract. I did a bit of work at Maltby a few years ago and it was very easy work, mostly RDC’s and single drops.

Speaking as an ex Tesco driver. Providing you are employed by Tesco and not some contractor you will have the best, safest, easiest and most secure driving job in the UK. In order to get full time employment with them as a driver there is a catch :exclamation: You would have to move south as Crick is the farthest northern depot that employs actual Tesco drivers, all the others are contractors.

Pay and conditions are exelent. I worked on anual hours, some weeks it was 6 days, some it was just 2 days and every 7th week I took off. each of those weeks was paid the same basic weekly wage. If I worked an unscheduled day I was on a phenomonaly high hourly pay, or I had the choice of basic and adding another day to the 7 weeks holiday. If I worked an unscheduled bank holiday I was on 27 quid an hour and a day in lieu. After 2 years you get shares, some of my mates who started about the same time now have thousands saved in shares (they go up every day)
I left there in 1998 and was told that I was the first driver ever to quit unless by redundancy. … with all these benefits I was bored, but I moved to a show company and earned lots more with 12 weeks off every year. :laughing:

How do you get into a firm like tescos pat :question: i have looked through thier website can not find any links to employment opportunities as a driver with them :exclamation: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Wayne,

You will have to do it through an agency to start and hope they take you on. There is a depot at Strood in Kent but it is run by contactors (that one is nearest to you) Actual ‘TESCO’ run depots are … 2 in Milton Keynes, 1 in Southampton, 1 Crick, 1 in Magor, South Wales and 1 in Brackmills, Northampton. I started at MK then moved to Brackmills.

I spent 18 months on agency at MK before being offerd a job, but you could be very lucky, especialy at the MK NDC. I recomended a friend of mine to the agency there before I left and within 2 months they took him and 20 others on full time.

Try them via an agency, If you tell either Mk or Brackmills traffic office staff you know me and I recomended the job to you it may help. I still hear from them from time to time. Some of the MK guys were at the party Kate set up for me in march. Good luck Mate :smiley:

Nice one pat :wink: :laughing: , will have to see about gettin into depot at strood then, mk too far away and i know the wife aint gonna wanna move so i am stuck in jobs down in the garden of england unfortunately :frowning: . i keep gettin tescos thrown at me as a good company to work for.

i am signing up with a company next week when the licence gets back, who do alot of supermarket work…but i dont know which one yet…the pay is 11-15 quid an hour so i am guessing sainsburys or tescos with that rate of pay. you never know tescos may even take over the strood depot which would be nice, but very doubtful :frowning: .

but i will see how it goes and let ya know…thanks for advice though pat :wink: i appreciate all the help i can get at the moment :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :confused: :confused: :wink: :laughing:

theres a tesco rdc at snodland as well wayne, and a safeway rdc at aylesford. used to deliver regularly to them both for corby chilled. not a million miles from you if the moneys right. rgds jon

nice one jonboy, will look into it mate :wink: :laughing:

JONBOY@RH:
theres a tesco rdc at snodland as well wayne,

That one ain’t gonna be there much longer cos I is gonna drop a bloody bomb on it!!! Lousy bloody place!!!

dont do that mate i am hoping to get a job in there :wink: whats wrong with the palce then? what do i need to know? :confused: :confused:

i forgot to say well done on passing your test margate
take it steady to start with :wink:
topman :smiley:
jon

margatemafia:
whats wrong with the palce then? what do i need to know? :confused: :confused:

Delivering there, blind side reversing into the waiting area (on a bad day), Bay 35 (ish), especially of a weekend when units are parked along the roadway.

The bay is right next to a ramp with railings, and so difficult to get onto, that with the doors open, a ‘chilled’ load has to be re-classified as ‘slightly cooled’ :smiley:

Not too sure of the geography of Kent, but don’t forget Nagel at Dover, Tibbett & Britten at Gravesend, or there is a cheese producer next door. Can’t remember the name. They collect Continental.

Thanks krankee, i am hoping i may get a start at whites transport in ramsgate. but any suggestions are being taken note of mate…i appreciate it :wink: :laughing: