Tesco Livingston

It gets right up my nose. I am sick to death of seeing complaining women on the news about differing pay rates and how unfair and discriminating it is. Well yes they may have a point, if wages are based on the ■■■ of the person doing the job then yes it is discriminating and is illegal.

But… It is perfectly legal for two men or two women doing exactly the same job, same hours, same duties, same responsibility, same breaks and the same perks to be paid differently because of start dates.

I have just left a job where the guys who are on the old contract are paid £7500 a year more than the new guys! And to rub salt in the wound the annual bonus is a percentage of your wage so though I received a £1200 bonus last xmas the others got £2500. Its a fixed annual salary not hourly paid by the way.

Totally effin unfair but perfectly legal!

wee gordy:
Stobart took over doncaster then sacked all tesco lads 2 yrs ago not work for them best

No skin of their nose, I bet tesco picked up the tab.

wee gordy:
Stobart took over doncaster then sacked all tesco lads 2 yrs ago not work for them bast

Stobart never sacked the drivers, Tesco did. They were all offered jobs on Stobart contracts but they wouldn’t touch them because they were on mega contracts with tesco. So off they went.

Doncaster drivers transferred over then sacked fav stobby move

Gangan:

Oh no it ain’t,
please see 13 (1):

legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2010/15/section/13

That’s why I pay £3.50 week to be in a union and you would have a case under LFT act :exclamation: :exclamation: :sunglasses:

Big Truck:

Gangan:

Oh no it ain’t,
please see 13 (1):

That’s why I pay £3.50 week to be in a union and you would have a case under LFT act :exclamation: :exclamation: :sunglasses:

A waste of £3.50 in my opinion. The Unite union agreed to the pay differential as part of a deal to end a strike. The guys on the existing contract were all offered redundancy to be replaced by people on the new contract. About a third of them took the redundancy the rest stayed though they are able to apply for the redundancy package at any time.

Gangan:

Big Truck:

Gangan:

Oh no it ain’t,
please see 13 (1):

A waste of £3.50 in my opinion. The Unite union agreed to the pay differential as part of a deal to end a strike. The guys on the existing contract were all offered redundancy to be replaced by people on the new contract. About a third of them took the redundancy the rest stayed though they are able to apply for the redundancy package at any time.

Well they backed me on a LFT case and settled for £3.5k after 1st Tribunal case management discussion.
Money well spent!!!

Big Truck:

Gangan:

Big Truck:

Gangan:

Oh no it ain’t,
please see 13 (1):

Well they backed me on a LFT case and settled for £3.5k after 1st Tribunal case management discussion.
Money well spent!!!

Good for you, does not change the fact that Unite agreed to the differential where I worked!

Gangan:

Big Truck:

Gangan:

Big Truck:

Gangan:

Oh no it ain’t,
please see 13 (1):

Money well spent!!!

Good for you, does not change the fact that Unite agreed to the differential where I worked!

Any employee who is being paid a lesser rate compared to another employee who carries out the same (or similar) work has a case for LFT,
you don’t have to sit there and “■■■■ it up”!!!

I didn’t, I left and now have a better paying job.

Big Truck:

Gangan:

Oh no it ain’t,
please see 13 (1):

Pay differences based on start date are common place across a fair number of unionised work forces.

I worked in store for Tesco for 6 years. Staff who started pre-1998 were on double time for Sundays, staff who started post-1998 time and a half. We also had old timers there earning a Saturday premium. If you ask me, the union were doing their job by making sure that longer serving staff remained on their original contract terms & were never discriminated for doing so (ie. newer staff chosen ahead of older staff for Sunday overtime because they are cheaper). Pretty sure if a company wants to change the pay & conditions offered to new employees going forward, there is not much a union can do as it doesn’t affect their current members.

Wouldn’t matter to me whether I had union backing or not.
If I started a new job and others were getting paid/ worked less hrs/on diff contracts etc etc after 1st year I’d be seeking legal advice about going to Tribunal using employment act mentioned above!!!

Big Truck:
Wouldn’t matter to me whether I had union backing or not.
If I started a new job and others were getting paid/ worked less hrs/on diff contracts etc etc after 1st year I’d be seeking legal advice about going to Tribunal using employment act mentioned above!!!

The above mentioned act is the equality act 2010 section 13 and to use that you MUST have one of the Protected characteristic’s, if you haven’t then you are on a non starter straightaway. The only way forward i can see would be to lodge an Equal pay claim against the company, but seeing as companies have been introducing secondary contracts into the workplace for years, this has probably already happened and the case was lost.