Tesco Hinckley

Passed My C&E Test a month ago, registered with ADR agency in Tamworth last week, as they’re the main agency for Tescos i thought you needed 2 years experience for supermarket work but the lad at ADR said it use to be 6 months now they take on newbies got the assessment this Friday 6 hours on the job assessment for which they pay you for, could anyone tell me if the tractor units are manual or automatics, what is it like working for Tescos at Hinckley and ADR aswell and lastly what are the wages like once your on Tesco books so to speak, any info much appreciated!!

Sorry I can’t directly answer your questions but I’d like to congratulate you on getting this far in the process. I’m sure other folk who know more than me about Tesco will give you some info.

Your post also points out the danger of making assumptions eg “2 years experience”. That would have stopped some people having a go and applying. I always suggest that any ad that mentions experience should be followed up. It’s well proven that an inexperienced driver with the right attitude and the good fortune to be in the right place at the right time will get a start.

I wish you the very best for your assessment; I hope you’ll be back to let us know how it went.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

That’s really strange, yesterday I phoned up ADR agency(Bristol) and the lad on the phone told me that they need 12 months experience, could it be that they have different rules for different parts of the country?

I think its chilled fridge work with cages.
Most likely automatics.
ADR are short of drivers — they had lots of east Europeans a few years back but maybe they have moved on (or back home :laughing: ).

Thanks Peter Smythe, had the assessment Friday passed it, the assessor was a sound chap, the gearbox was a 4 side by side through the gate Merc, driven them a couple of times before in class 2’s over 4 years ago kept making a complete hash of the gear changing too heavy handed kept going too far and through the gate by mistake, had to couple up take load to Stratford On Avon not too bad a place to get into then back to the recycling place over the road from the Hinckley Depot with the return cages with cardboard in, now thats a different kettle of fish with regards to reversing, had to reverse in between two other trucks with about 2 foot inbetween nearly got it in first time but held onto the steering wheel too long and over cooked it , took me 2 shunts then in, got off loaded then took truck/trailer back over road to depot and reversed it onto bay did better with the reverse not first time but better then uncoupled and parked up job done. Assessor said when reversing i’ve got to keep moving that steering wheel all the time adjusting as you go back.
He also said i would seriously think twice about leaving your job and doing agency work at this time because Tesco agency work completely dries up after Christmas, as i’m in full time work with Bibbys at Magna Park at the moment driving class 2’s, but i hate it and want to leave and there are no class 1 jobs going there anyway, so i’m in a dilemma as to what to do!

Stay doing Class2, because something will turn up for Class1 :slight_smile:

Tescos are atleast £7 an hour or thats what staff in main stores are on, i couldnt hazard a guess to what truck drivers are on.

Riho:
That’s really strange, yesterday I phoned up ADR agency(Bristol) and the lad on the phone told me that they need 12 months experience, could it be that they have different rules for different parts of the country?

I phoned ADR to register after I had just passed 9 months ago, done my class 1 + 2 back to back. They were not even interested in letting me register. :imp: