Tesco Class 2

Hi all,

I was travelling back to Plymouth a couple of weeks ago and passed a rigid Tesco lorry. I havent seen one before and wondered if anyone knew where they are based.

Thanks

Natsdad

tesco :smiley:

emmajane:

Every little helps eh emmajane. :unamused: :laughing:

They use them for the small shops . You’d most likely still need your class 1 to work for Tossco though.

Redrorry:

emmajane:

Every little helps eh emmajane. :unamused: :laughing:

Aha and here’s me thinking that it might have come from an Asda depot :unamused:

yea i think most of the tesco rdcs have one rigid, i know livingston does and its huge, i got the job of being asked by the goods out guy if i could drive a rigid…after completing a run to the same store in an artic…couldnt understand why 5 of us were laughing at him.

was really weird though driving it, the windscreen was soo small compared to the artics lol

hi,tesco’s are opening up 600 tesco express stores this year which will have class 2 truckd delivering to i belive ADR agency have the contract hope this helps

Tesco and Sainsbury’s have a load of Class 2’s done and some on order, Soloman’s are doing the bodies with a Carrier fridge.

garp:
hi,tesco’s are opening up 600 tesco express stores this year which will have class 2 truckd delivering to i belive ADR agency have the contract hope this helps

most of the express stores can still be delivered to with the 10m trailers, the rigids are only used where an artic cant fit, which is rare for tesco stores.

tesco run out of cardiff

Thanks everyone for the replies, might have to do the class one first though before thinking about them.

Tesco’s in harlow are moving all there class1 trucks out to another depo and are taking delivery of class 2 trucks to deliver to the new stores,ADR network agency now have a branch at tesco’s in harlow so they can run the contact on site. I only know this as i have been working for ADR on another contract in harlow for the last 3 years and have been told this by the staff at the agency and one of my friends drives class 1 out of there and has confirmed this.

I know at Weybridge they have just taken delivery of new Merc Rigids with Solomon Bodies and Carrier Fridge Units, about 8 there now.

No Class 2 drivers, all Class 1 and you have to do an assessment test. Anyone can drive for Tesco though from age 18 with Class 1 provided you pass the assessment test…

KeepHerLitV8:
I know at Weybridge they have just taken delivery of new Merc Rigids with Solomon Bodies and Carrier Fridge Units, about 8 there now.

No Class 2 drivers, all Class 1 and you have to do an assessment test. Anyone can drive for Tesco though from age 18 with Class 1 provided you pass the assessment test…

i thought you had to have at least a years experience? it was when i was there

gogzy:

KeepHerLitV8:

No there seems to have been a review and I was told Tesco cannot be seen to discriminate… So as long as you pass the test you can drive for them. That said most fail the test, even drivers with years of experience… Only taking on Agency Drivers, Tesco no longer employ directly there. Big difference between the money Tesco drivers are paid and the agency drivers…

yea tell me about the assessment, i never failed the shunting one and it took me that long to get my driving assessment (even though i had been there almost a year and no accidents/problems)

i got failed because i couldnt drive round their yard without bouncing about, even though livingstons yard isnt smooth, but whatever i got plenty of work on shunting until they decided to cut my money etc, its not worth it work their now

KeepHerLitV8:

gogzy:

KeepHerLitV8:

No there seems to have been a review and I was told Tesco cannot be seen to discriminate… So as long as you pass the test you can drive for them. That said most fail the test, even drivers with years of experience… Only taking on Agency Drivers, Tesco no longer employ directly there. Big difference between the money Tesco drivers are paid and the agency drivers…

“Class 2 drivers required. Class 2 drivers need not apply.”
I’d like to see that in a job advert. Or have I read it wrong? :confused:

nickb67:

KeepHerLitV8:

gogzy:

KeepHerLitV8:

had that before, phoned up about it and they said they wanted a class 1 driver for a class 2 job.

nickb67:

KeepHerLitV8:

gogzy:

KeepHerLitV8:

When I was told they cannot be seen to discriminate it was in relation to age. As if you can do your test at 18, why not drive for Tesco at 18. Also the reason they don’t recruit Class 2 drivers is because they only have a few rigids and not enough work for a Class 2 driver. If you were given a rigid it would be first run of the day, then come back and get a unit and hook up to a trailer.

^^^ Cheers. Yeah, that makes sense.