tesco chilled dagenham/rainham

karl67:

hkloss1:
Why would drivers be quitting after working there for only a few weeks?

Some have left for different reasons.
Some don’t like the shift pattern
90 % of our work is london ie expresses tail lift work.
They may not pass their 12 week probationary period.
You are expected to reach a high standard of driving on your fleetboard score in 12 weeks.This will affect your probation period.
You’ll soon know if its with tesco or trg by who does your interview/assessment.
Both are still doing interviews.

1. What reasons were there that made them leave?
  2. Didn’t they know it was going to be a shift job? Didn’t they ask at the interview what the job was going to be like?
  3. What do you exactly mean by tail lift work? Is this rigid vehicle tail lift work (unloading)? or is unloading also being done using tail lift on an artic? Didn’t know artics had tailifts which were being used to unload the vehicle.
  4. Why wouldn’t experienced driver pass their 12 weeks probationary period? What’s so difficult about passing 12 weeks probationary period?
  5. Would you be willing to explain that “high standard of driving” and the “fleetboard score”, please?
  6. so you are not being employed by Tesco directly even if you go for an assessment drive at the Dagenham depot?
    How can you find out whether you are being employed by Tesco directly or TRG?

Thanks

hkloss1:

karl67:

hkloss1:

Some have left for different reasons.
Some don’t like the shift pattern
90 % of our work is london ie expresses tail lift work.
They may not pass their 12 week probationary period.
You are expected to reach a high standard of driving on your fleetboard score in 12 weeks.This will affect your probation period.
You’ll soon know if its with tesco or trg by who does your interview/assessment.
Both are still doing interviews.

1. What reasons were there that made them leave?
  2. Didn’t they know it was going to be a shift job? Didn’t they ask at the interview what the job was going to be like?
  3. What do you exactly mean by tail lift work? Is this rigid vehicle tail lift work (unloading)? or is unloading also being done using tail lift on an artic? Didn’t know artics had tailifts which were being used to unload the vehicle.
  4. Why wouldn’t experienced driver pass their 12 weeks probationary period? What’s so difficult about passing 12 weeks probationary period?
  5. Would you be willing to explain that “high standard of driving” and the “fleetboard score”, please?
  6. so you are not being employed by Tesco directly even if you go for an assessment drive at the Dagenham depot?
    How can you find out whether you are being employed by Tesco directly or TRG?

Thanks

Lot of express shops are done with arctics,but using urban tris,most are done with tail lift,bigger stores are normally dock,scissor lift but there are some that are tail lift,or may have to use tail lift if dock or scissor lift are broke,or sometimes tip on dock/ scissor lift then reload emptying in yard using tail lift.
As for leaving early it’s a very easy job but I must admit mind numbing,I’ve done it for 8 ish months and really starting to struggle with it,if I’d of left a job to go on tesco work I’d of been on the blower that night to see if I could get back,on the blower most days now but everything lot less money and all w/end,but something will have to give soon,can’t take much more :exclamation: :exclamation:

hkloss1:
s

Most of Tescos trailers have a tuck away taillift…
Except my trailer I’ve got now which has a column tail lift going to be a pain in the arse at each drop :imp:

Last week I was going through Battersea Park Rd - A3205, there is a Tesco store on the left hand side on the way towards Wandsworth at SW11 4LU and I saw a Tesco artic parked in the middle of the road between both lanes in opposite directions, hazard lights on, and it looked to me as unloading was taking place.
If that’s how Tesco unloads it’s artics, in the middle of a busy road, then I’m not surprised that so many drivers leave after a few weeks of working there.

hkloss1:
Last week I was going through Battersea Park Rd - A3205, there is a Tesco store on the left hand side on the way towards Wandsworth at SW11 4LU and I saw a Tesco artic parked in the middle of the road between both lanes in opposite directions, hazard lights on, and it looked to me as unloading was taking place.
If that’s how Tesco unloads it’s artics, in the middle of a busy road, then I’m not surprised that so many drivers leave after a few weeks of working there.

I aint doubting what you say, but was it a tesco unit pulling a tesco trailer?? We are given risk assessments for every store delivery and I would stake my life on it that who ever was doing this delivery wasn’t following the assessment instructions. I personally wouldn’t ever unload a trailer in the middle of the road, no chance. I don’t know the store you are talking about, but I do know the area your on about.

I’d have my money on it being a tesco trailer pulled by a subby or an an agency driver. Subby’s and agency drivers also get the risk assessments. I wouldn’t totally rule out it being a tesco driver, but get caught doin that and you’ll be pulled up about it sharpish. If I can’t follow risk assessment instructions, I inform store manager who has to get it sorted or delivery doesn’t get done, simple.

Deliver from the middle of the road?? No chance :laughing:

I’m not 100% sure whether it was Tesco unit attached to that Tesco trailer, I’m not even sure whether he was actually unloading there, what I was only trying to say is that it looked like was unloading, as the tail lift was down, but maybe he was only parked there in the middle of the road with hazard lights on.
I would be interested to know how does Tesco actually deliver to that store as I do know of any access route an artic could use for delivery.

hkloss1:

Can understand what you’re saying but from what I’ve seen this is actually quite common in Europe in towns and cities where they have tram tracks running along both nearside lanes. Would just appear to need a bit of courtesy and understanding from all concerned. Not sure how well it will work in London…

hkloss1:
I’m not 100% sure whether it was Tesco unit attached to that Tesco trailer, I’m not even sure whether he was actually unloading there, what I was only trying to say is that it looked like was unloading, as the tail lift was down, but maybe he was only parked there in the middle of the road with hazard lights on.
I would be interested to know how does Tesco actually deliver to that store as I do know of any access route an artic could use for delivery.

I think we do battersea from Reading and I’ve not heard anyone complaining about having to deliver to that store, it might be done with an 8 or 10m or even possibly a rigid. I’ve not done it so can’t really say for sure.

hkloss1:

Because they pay rubbish money!! (10.90p/h for 42.5hrs guaranteed a week) and they lie about T&S when you have your interview ! but that’s another storey. Stay away from this place!!

ochen:

hkloss1:

Because they pay rubbish money!! (10.90p/h for 42.5hrs guaranteed a week) and they lie about T&S when you have your interview ! but that’s another storey. Stay away from this place!!

Your wrong on the hourly rate and if that’s the rate you think it is and you think it’s ■■■■, I guess you haven’t seen the various threads that appear showing class 1 driver jobs being offered for near minimum wage :unamused:

So what lies were you about T&S?? Whatever that is

Take a look on that viewtopic.php?f=2&t=99555&p=1481302#p1481302

selby newcomer:

Breaks are not paid
You only get paid one premium @ time
Holidays paid @Basic rate

selby newcomer:
I guess you haven’t seen the various threads that appear showing class 1 driver jobs being offered for near minimum wage

I dont know what are rates for class 1 jobs, but previously I was driving rigid doing 48hrs a week for 31K ! although it was a multidrop job but still well above minimum wage.

ochen:
Take a look on that viewtopic.php?f=2&t=99555&p=1481302#p1481302

selby newcomer:

Breaks are not paid
You only get paid one premium @ time
Holidays paid @Basic rate

selby newcomer:
I guess you haven’t seen the various threads that appear showing class 1 driver jobs being offered for near minimum wage

I dont know what are rates for class 1 jobs, but previously I was driving rigid doing 48hrs a week for 31K ! although it was a multidrop job but still well above minimum wage.

Can’t see why or how. You were lied to, but no we don’t get paid for breaks, most places don’t pay for breaks. Don’t know what you mean by only paid one premium rate at time. Holidays are paid on basic, it would be nice if they were done on average earnings, but can’t have it all.

I didn’t say all class one jobs were minimum wage, you said tesco money is ■■■■ at £10.90 p/h, a lot less than that being paid elsewhere. You were on for hovis before right?? So you’d have been starting at 2-3am, with them start times at tesco, you’d have been earning more than the £10.90 p/h you say tesco pay. Any breadman I’ve come across are running around like headless chickens grizzling coz I’ve parked on the dock just as they turn up, so you obviously earn your 31k. You’d have easily done 31k at tesco on nights

Maybe I was working for Hovis too long :slight_smile: and get used to being paid for breaks and full rate for holidays. I know its my fault for not asking right questions @ interview but they should be clear about that. For me to get 31k I have to work for 12hr a day for five days.

Glad someone else can see that tesco is zb…! I bet drivers weren’t as ‘micro managed’ as much at Hovis as they are at tesco…are they ochen!?

hkloss1:

There’s a tesco express near where I live that they unload on the rather narrow main road which causes traffic chaos and now you have mentioned it its always a subby motor pulling a tesco trailer now I know why.

ochen:
Maybe I was working for Hovis too long :slight_smile: and get used to being paid for breaks and full rate for holidays. I know its my fault for not asking right questions @ interview but they should be clear about that. For me to get 31k I have to work for 12hr a day for five days.

Dont think your figures are right mate, if you do 60 hours a week, you will be earning a lot more than 31k, a lot more. That’s based on a day hourly rate as well.

Pimpdaddy:
Glad someone else can see that tesco is zb…! I bet drivers weren’t as ‘micro managed’ as much at Hovis as they are at tesco…are they ochen!?

Carrying a PDA is being “micro managed” is it not?? I don’t carry one of them

selby newcomer:

No idea but you lot are quizzed about everything you do on isotrak & all that fleetboard bs are you not!?

Pimpdaddy:

selby newcomer:

No idea but you lot are quizzed about everything you do on isotrak & all that fleetboard bs are you not!?

Nope, as the weeks have gone on and people are getting used to their jobs, my de briefs have got shorter and shorter, got to the stage where I’m asked if I’ve had any problems, if I say no, away I go no questions asked.

If they randomly looked at what I’d been doin for the day and I’d been parked up in a random place then they are bound to ask what I was doin. I don’t give them the opportunity to get on my case, but I also play the game as well.

No questions asked at all about fleet board, that’s just where your bonus is worked out from, as long as your score is up, you get your bonus. If you drive it like you stole it, they will ask what your playing at and your score will be ■■■■ and no bonus

I like to do my job with no questions asked, if I want to stop I stop, we don’t do ‘debrief’ at our place so no opportunity to ask drivers dumb questions…:slight_smile: