Tesco assessment today

Literally have this problem most days !

dave_garner:
I’m used to heavy cages/glass , worked on back door at sainsbury for years so im used to cages loaded with booze/drinks/milk on square wheels lol.
only have to roll it off the back if the trailer anyway.

Check the load for damage before you leave You mean?

These have a permanent seal box thing so you just put it through the lock on the trailer and write down the seal on the paper work each time

No check the load security. Make sure the straps are tight and the hooks aren’t likely to pop out. I’ve seen just one ■■■■■■■■ the back of a load. So I get on and make sure there’s about 4.

If the seal is electronic, just generate a new one and write it on the paperwork. But this is just what I do, and what the company that send me to Tesco tell me to do.

Fair point, I hear ya.

Bloody hell so much to take in today and I’ve barely started! Did a few laps of the depot just to get a feel for things. Reversed into a parking bay then Uncoupled and re coupled several times until me head was hurting. All good practise though - they have a way they want it done.
continued the day with a break for lunch Followed by an in depth tour of the yard, where you park empty/loaded trailers, goods in/out bays, refuelling, the system when parking on bays, vehicle maintenance building and unit/trailer wash.

Already tired we continued to go through the paper work and how they do it in tescos. It was intense but my trainer was a cool guy and fully aware of me being new and that it’s going to take a while to settle

4am start tomorrow out on the road to do some store deliveries then a big shop to finish.

Home now for a steak… deserved

Went out today at 4am. Did my checks and Hitched up to a 10m trailer for three express stores, and off I went.
First drop Twickenham for 6am. Arrived at 5.30 so parked up and put tacho on POA. finally got to unload… 2 and a half hours later - which actually went quite quickly as I was half asleep anyway. Started off a bag of nerves as it was mega busy on a main road, kept cocking up a simple reverse but you live and learn.
That done carried on to my next drop in Maidenhead where there was a fridge trailer unloading - had to park in a lay by up the road for half hour due to whingey old people/neighbours of the store. This drop was simpler, pull in the car park, reverse park to one side, unload then U-turn and out again.
Lastly Maidenhead precinct which was on the roof. U turn at the end, reverse in line with the kerb and un load. each drop got easier as the day went on and I familiarised myself with the unloading process.
Back to base, parked up the trailer, uncoupled, refuelled the unit then parked up and handed in the paper work.

Not too exciting but a days work as a newb nonetheless. Back in Thursday and Friday next week for more training!

Nice one. Glad all went well on first shift. Gl pal.

Thanks mate. All going nicely so far

My ride

I lasted 3 1/2 shifts at Tesco Thurrock

How come - what happened?

dave_garner:
How come - what happened?

Probably the same as at Reading, you won’t get on if you’re not a yes man :imp:

I’m at the reading one atm - seems alright
bit of experience for now!

dave_garner:
I’m at the reading one atm - seems alright
bit of experience for now!

Give certain people there a slap for me… :smiling_imp:

Who??

Hi Dave

thanks for posting this thread, am happy you are getting on ok with Tescos

I have done my medical and got my renewed licence back from DVLA 2 weeks ago.

I have now signed up for CPC as I have not worked driving in 25 years…

in the meantime applied for a part time job as bus driver, I thought if I got that then I’d get some recent experience behind a bigger vehicle than my motorbike :smiley:

I made it very clear in application form I wanted to work part time…they called me for an interview, I booked a day off work to attend, then the evening before they ring me to say they made a mistake and they only need full time people…would I want to go for a full time position?’

so they cancelled…

well…never mind…I’ll be looking at agency work next…

or if Tesco does take on part-timers/casuals then that, but perhaps for casuals they go through agency?

I like the photo you posted too, thanx, hope all goes onward and upwards for you :slight_smile:

Hi mate, cheers and no problem. Just getting the ball rolling really so thought I’d post some updates!

I’m not sure if tescos themselves take on part time recruits but here in Reading they have an in house agency (TRG) Who have agreed to train me up on my rest days from work - and pay me for it. Currently I am working 2 days a week for them while I learn all aspects of the job.

Good luck with your driving

Out again today. Two drops in full size 13m trailers this time. Both onto bays… first one in Newbury, had to reverse into the yard then blind side onto the bay. Don’t think I did too badly considering. Took a few shunts but on there within 15 minutes… They said their record was 55 minutes lol

Second drop is in Yeading and I’m waiting to go in now. Be a while as there’s another lorry waiting in front. Another blind side onto the bay but no reverse into yard!

Got to love the store deliveries, some of the service yards are stupidly small and tight.

the yard at yeading was tiny. Didn’t look so bad on the risk assessment lol. Got it on there though