Tesco and their use of lorries

I know the issue has been mentioned on this board, and here is more of it

dailymail.co.uk/news/article … nated.html

Nothing new in that article

They probably got the story from this board! Or the idea for the story. Don’t think anyone has a problem with general rsu like cardboard and plastic, it’s awe the ■■■■■ they return that should be carted away by professional waste compaines.

They should have a waste carriers licence to carry anything for recycling or disposal.

I had a new fridge delivered by Curry’s 2 weeks ago, part of the deal is they take the old one away and also all the packaging from the new one. When I looked in the back of the truck it was full of old cookers, fridges, freezers, washing machines etc. The driver had no clue what a waste carriers licence was!

Like anything, there’s a right and a wrong way of doing things. Sainsbury’s have it right, food in a plastic bag, placed in a produce crate, with a plastic liner. Crates stacked, very little chance of damage. Tescos way, cardboard liner in a cage with clear bin liners just tossed in. Recipe for disaster really. As for the waste carrier licence, they probably have one. Most container firms do, for waste paper and scrap metal boxes. Don’t think they’re hard to obtain, and I don’t think tesco would risk the supply chain to their business with an oversight

Apparently it’s only Widnes and Doncaster that are picking up WASTE. That is Food and General waste. In short, anything that would have gone in a skip beforehand. Every fresh/chilled depot currently picks up RECYCLING from stores. This consists of cardboard and plastic. Coincidentally, Widnes and Doncaster are Stobart run depots. Probably because Tesco don’t think they’ve got much chance of their own drivers’ Union allowing them to do it.

Martin:
They should have a waste carriers licence to carry anything for recycling or disposal.

Enviromental Health picked up on that one pretty quick and now we do have one.

OVLOV JAY:
Like anything, there’s a right and a wrong way of doing things. Sainsbury’s have it right, food in a plastic bag, placed in a produce crate, with a plastic liner. Crates stacked, very little chance of damage. Tescos way, cardboard liner in a cage with clear bin liners just tossed in. Recipe for disaster really. As for the waste carrier licence, they probably have one. Most container firms do, for waste paper and scrap metal boxes. Don’t think they’re hard to obtain, and I don’t think tesco would risk the supply chain to their business with an oversight

There isn’t even a cardboard liner mate. It’s a clear plastic liner in the cage first, then bin bags thrown into that. One of our biggest questions is, when are the cages being washed then? Answer, they aren’t. Trailers are “sanitised” every 4 weeks atm.

Oh yeah, stores have to keep this stuff inside. As it can create a health hazard (rats) outside. So quite often that’s stored next to the food that has been sorted ready to go out on the shelves…

There’s a clear procedure for doing this,and the final step is,if the driver is not happy with the inside cleanliness of there tri,they should VOR it.
I’m not a great believer in these risk assessments,some of it is total rubbish,but on this aspect I agree,tell them too sweep out tri,tell them to wash it out,if they don’t,or if it’s not to your standards VOR it.

So are we talking rotten, putrid, leaking fluids? Or are we talking out of date stuff that’s really no hazard at all?

When I was doing it, I often wondered about the blue pallets. As general hauliers we carried all kinds of stuff stacked on them. There was no reason why a pallet could not have, say, fish meal, or even hazardous waste on them one day, and fresh fruit the next.

So are we talking rotten, putrid, leaking fluids?

That was my first thought too. I doubt that there will be any maggot infested meats etc in this waste.
A lot of it will be simply date expired produce…similar to what you see every week in some bargain shops and market stalls.
But of course that wouldn’t make headlines!

Do you need a waste carriers licence if carrying only your own waste, I thought that it was only if you carried waste for payment etc.

del949:

So are we talking rotten, putrid, leaking fluids?

That was my first thought too. I doubt that there will be any maggot infested meats etc in this waste.
A lot of it will be simply date expired produce…similar to what you see every week in some bargain shops and market stalls.
But of course that wouldn’t make headlines!

Which will probably end up in Netto or Aldi

The reason its the fridge depots collecting this stuff is because the waste is frozen before collection and then transported at -20, the waste is only to be collected once trailer is empty of fresh produce, thats how I understand it anyway

It’s a bit of a none event really, yes waste is getting carried, but you’ll find that they’ve been doing it for a while now…
Thankfully on grocery we don’t carry stuff like that :laughing: :laughing:

Wow, I hope Aldi’s legal team don’t read this forum!! (are Nettos still going?)

I’m a big fan of Aldi, they sell some great stuff at better prices than the big 3.

selby newcomer:
The reason its the fridge depots collecting this stuff is because the waste is frozen before collection and then transported at -20, the waste is only to be collected once trailer is empty of fresh produce, thats how I understand it anyway

The waste is frozen,your transporting it frozen :confused: Well if that is true then the shop staff/ drivers need informing that should be procedure,because that doesn’t seem to be the procedure at the moment.
But I’ll clarify that the next time at a tesco dc

DAF95XF:
It’s a bit of a none event really, yes waste is getting carried, but you’ll find that they’ve been doing it for a while now…
Thankfully on grocery we don’t carry stuff like that :laughing: :laughing:

No you’ve just trailer floors covered in cat litter,dog food,glass and cages of beer/ wine that are stacked that badly there just accident waiting to happen( does smell nice though all that spilt beer/ whiskey) .

The article paints the usual misinformed picture, we already carry animal by-products for disposal, out of date eggs meat fish ETC also bakery waste.

Everything is carried in accordance with current legislation all bags are marked with the store number all trays of by product are frozen in sealed bags if a bag is ripped or missing a sticker or if A.B.P is in the wrong type of tray or bag it gets refused collection, also all paperwork relating to the waste has to be in order.

We are not talking of rancid waste are anything of that nature, it will be food that’s out of date that day the stuff which was thrown in the compactor, the collections will be daily usually around six cages. If it were any of the other supermarkets it would pass completely unnoticed.

Britain doing what it does best, kicking a winner.

mike68:
The article paints the usual misinformed picture, we already carry animal by-products for disposal, out of date eggs meat fish ETC also bakery waste.

Everything is carried in accordance with current legislation all bags are marked with the store number all trays of by product are frozen in sealed bags if a bag is ripped or missing a sticker or if A.B.P is in the wrong type of tray or bag it gets refused collection, also all paperwork relating to the waste has to be in order.

We are not talking of rancid waste are anything of that nature, it will be food that’s out of date that day the stuff which was thrown in the compactor, the collections will be daily usually around six cages. If it were any of the other supermarkets it would pass completely unnoticed.

Britain doing what it does best, kicking a winner.

Not frozen,it’s stood 99% of the time in dock area when I pick it up!they have the cages locked in specially constructed metal frames!there’s no freezer there.
Are you on about the right stuff :question: ,lanky phil says it’s only stobart trucks doing this,donny + widnes. :confused:

There are an awful lot of Guardian readers driving lorries these days :laughing:

del949:

I’m a big fan of Aldi, they sell some great stuff at better prices than the big 3.

You get what you pay for.
I’ll stick to M&S and Waitrose.

What confuses is when you load 3 or 4 days of shredded household waste into a Walking Floor Bulker and then backload with a retail load.

Yes they get swept out before the backload, but I’m sure bugs get through the process.