Tesco and sat nav

I have been informed by an agency that Tesco (Fradley) will not allow use of a sat nav because of H&S grounds. Apparently someone got stuck on a housng estate and while trying to ecape killed someone. However the agency says most Tesco drivers just stick it on once outside the gates.

Does anyone know anything?

chippy:
I have been informed by an agency that Tesco (Fradley) will not allow use of a sat nav because of H&S grounds. Apparently someone got stuck on a housng estate and while trying to ecape killed someone. However the agency says most Tesco drivers just stick it on once outside the gates.

Does anyone know anything?

Its been the rule for a couple of months IIRC, its ■■■■■■■■ about Tesco drivers putting them on outside the gates, also, you get a risk assement for each store, plus a route, you can`t go wrong really. :open_mouth:

No need for a prattnav :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

since it was a truck that killed someone not a sat nav wouldn’t it make more sense to ban tesco drivers from driving trucks.
I’m sure trolley’s can in faster too.

Mr B:
since it was a truck that killed someone not a sat nav wouldn’t it make more sense to ban tesco drivers from driving trucks.

The death, is an urban myth, the reason explained to me, by one of their managers ; After one too many incidents of Tesco artics getting “stuck” in residential areas, at all times of the day / night, was that their “brand” was being exposed to “poor” exposure.

The significant reason was the “satnav”, I`ve got one, and if your not careful, they will send you where they want, and not where your supposed to be.

Its not rocket science, they are the customer after all…

Does the truck drive itself and does the sat nav drive the truck ? Nope there’s a trolley dolly there somewhere.

Having done agy for tesco, I have no problems with using satnav (if I feel its req`d). I/we have been told not to use them, but they are openly on display in the screen(s).

Mr B:

I know they can, 89kph deffo, and thats at 2/3 depots that Ive been to. Though I do get some glaring looks as I pass the staff drivers, as they ridgidly stick to 79kph for fuel comsumption etc. the only reason Ill do 89kph is that I`m normally planned for 1 or 2 store runs, this is easily achievable in under 8hrs at 79kph. (very few shifts at tesco last more than 8hrs), so I treat it on a job and knock basis and drive at 85-89kph

Fair enough if they are supplying directions and maps to the stores, at least they are using common sense.

Worked for other supermarkets and asking directions get met with a blank stare at times, which can be fun espec when its older stores the likes of Somerfields and they are in the middle of cities, tiny streets and residential areas.

Remember doing one for the Co-Op years ago with an 8 wheeler ridgid, four streets lead to this shop out near Meadowbank in Edinburgh, only one was passable with an 8 wheeler, fun reversing down a tiny street with cars either side then reversing back onto a busy road, accident waiting to happen.

DAFMAD:
Does the truck drive itself and does the sat nav drive the truck ? Nope there’s a trolley dolly there somewhere.

Too many dumb ■■■ mother truckers do as the “voice” says, you see it everyday, whether its going down weight limits, over weak bridges, or into low bridges, they listen, and don`t look, twits spelt with an “A” IMO :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

I have heard it all now…Mind you Tesco drivers drive so slow they could easily read a map at that speed…

Stan said, "also, you get a risk assement for each store, plus a route, you can`t go wrong really. " What is this risk assessment? :unamused: How do they give you the route? What if you go off route?

Smee:
I have heard it all now…Mind you Tesco drivers drive so slow they could easily read a map at that speed…

You don`t turn left into a “NO ENTRY” street, just because the “voice” says so, or, are you a D.A.M.T. ■■?

You have to use your head, its pretty simple really :open_mouth:

My speed depends on the day / time / shift / job + knock, whatever the situation.

I`ve been in many a whacky races convoy on the A38, all pushing it. :open_mouth:

Ive NEVER been pulled up by Tesco for going faster than their drivers, and, on occasions, Ive tucked in behind a “snail trail” convoy of their drivers, if its suited my agenda :wink:

How does a risk assessment work?

There may be a car parked awkwardly or some pallets in a slightly different place since the assessment was done.

How about the skip driver who doesnt put the skip back in exactly the same place? how about the driver who turns up in the LHD truck?

I have been using sat/nav for about three years or so, the advantages far outweigh the disadvantages. It ain’t rocket science… :unamused: :unamused:

Smee:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Wheel Nut:

There may be a car parked awkwardly or some pallets in a slightly different place since the assessment was done.

How about the skip driver who doesnt put the skip back in exactly the same place? how about the driver who turns up in the LHD truck?

The risk is all yours :unamused:

Basically, you only do as the “RA” says, they make it very clear that you DO NOT attempt to reverse or anything else, if there is anything / anyone in the way ect.

You get an ariel view of the “yard”, and little arrows pointing you in the correct direction, plus all the “fixed assets” in the way that are a potential problem.

A lot of these RAs are written up by managers who don`t drive trucks, and, a lot were drawn up whilst the yard was empty, before the gennies were put in ect.

our company put “navman” satnav/mesaging systems in our wagons.
use em as a guide only. theyre hilarious sometimes.
driving up the A1M/M1link, it told me to get out of the field and onto a road.
99% of my driving is local anyway.
i occasionaly use it for poatcode checks when we get daft adresses. but i use the good old a to z mostly.
our fleet guys dont trust em much either.

So after the risk assessment at the store and your’e not happy about reversing and stuff. What happens next? :confused:

chippy:
So after the risk assessment at the store and your’e not happy about reversing and stuff. What happens next? :confused:

Then you have a big argument with the backdoorman, then a big argument with the line manager, then a big argument with the store manager who then calls the DC and you get no back up off your manager at the DC and just told to “do whatever you think is best” but get the delivery done!!!.
the risk assesments are just to cover Tesco`s arse really!!!

Wheel Nut:

it is a drawing of the yard layout and a map to get there it works well if the yard is clear of rubbish and cages then you may as well throw it out the window

When I drove for Tesco I was still pretty much a newbie, and I found the store directions sheet pretty good - a map plus directions on the front, and a yard plan (plus reversing directions) and a list of hazards on the back.

The list of hazards wasn’t much use, but the reversing plan was - like I said, I was still pretty much a newbie, so I’d arrive at the yard and try to work out how to get on the bay. At least it means that I don’t try to manouevre onto the bay in a way that isn’t actually possible.

As for SatNav bans, [zb] them. I’ll use my SatNav, and if they don’t like it, they can tell my agency they don’t want me back. The problem with SatNav taking people the wrong way is when (a) the office don’t give you any directions on which route to choose, and (b) the driver doesn’t use his/her brain. Me, I set up the whole route beforehand, and if the office gives me a suggested route to use, I’ll make sure that the SatNav is set up to use that route. It means that the SatNav remembers the route whilst I concentrate on the driving rather than the navigation. Much safer than trying to read a map on a sheet of paper whilst you’re driving.