Tesco £1K sign on bonus

Soldier z:

scannyman142:
Tesco, Walkers etc never had a problem getting drivers until they outsourced their transport, as their profits weren’t big enough, they were dead man’s shoes jobs

Tesco had no dramas shifting their driver onto Stobart when it suited them to get it done cheaper (around £6k per man IIRC)

As have a lot of supermarkets who bought into saving a couple of quid per hour by outsourcing it

They reap what they sow

They’ll only…

Have lost out when the millions (billions?) in profits they’ve saved over the years, starts to be eroded by this shortage.

DCPCFML:
Stop with these stupid one-off incentives to get your bum on the seat and just increase the hourly rate above all your competitors. Problem sorted and you’ll achieve a far greater percentage of long-termers than you will vs incentives who will do the minimum required to get it and then go elsewhere. These companies truly are dumb.

Absolutely this
They are desperate hence the 1k
The incentive is for them

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

Also, the £1000 is subject to tax and NI.

trevHCS:
I can’t see when you actually get the bonus and if it’s paid in one or split. Suspect the most important bits are the actual details. Also is it a grand for all drivers or different depending on shifts etc.

A lot of our lot have jumped ship to agency for the “big money”, but do wonder as mentioned how long it will last. Doubt any would be taken back due to leaving company in the crap, so burning bridges not always a good idea.

Our lot are doing this kindof thing with incentives every x months and one at the end of the year. They still don’t really get it as we want an hourly increase to a more decent level especially as its ADR, but can’t leave for anything fulltime as DVLA have the licence and are being useless.

I has this problem.I was driving under section 88 for 5 months while they investigated medical issues.In the end,I filed an official complaint.I got my licence the following week, coincidence maybe.

I worked for tesco in the warehouse paid and passed my class 1 applied for a job driving done the drive was fine struggled with the reverse and got knocked back a was even willing to do the crap rota they put new guys on work every weekend back shift this was only two months ago so they are not struggling that much

taggy24:
I worked for tesco in the warehouse paid and passed my class 1 applied for a job driving done the drive was fine struggled with the reverse and got knocked back a was even willing to do the crap rota they put new guys on work every weekend back shift this was only two months ago so they are not struggling that much

Apply again is my advice. Yes the rota is crap and that’s why I’m looking for alternative employment.

LazyDriver:
Tesco are a tail lift only delivery service. It’s the sadist in you that watches the store staff attempt the cobbled route of pain, as you ascend like a god on your elevated platform… :smiling_imp:

Indeed.

I once did a week at Tossco and still remember when two women came out to manhandle the 1 ton cage with the missing wheel up the 45 degree cobbled route of pain. I was channelling my inner Peter Sutcliffe as I looked down from my tail-lift Valhalla as a woman old enough to be my mother sumo deadlifted 550lbs trying to maintain the corner with the missing wheel. The old saying “Horses sweat, men perspire and women glow” came to mind - let me assure you those women were glowing like f… :smiling_imp:

Some of those shop women are strong tho. As a boy of 21 I was once taking a twenty foot run-up with a cage trying to get it over the doorstep when a sturdily built woman came out and heaved it straight up.

JeffA:
Some of those shop women are strong tho. As a boy of 21 I was once taking a twenty foot run-up with a cage trying to get it over the doorstep when a sturdily built woman came out and heaved it straight up.

Same as cycling though. You watch a mountain bike going up a hill with 62000 gears and you can see the pedals rotating faster as they drop through the gears.

Put an OAP on a fixed wheel no gear bike though and they’ll just peddle serenely along on flat, downhill, uphill…

£1k is a rotten carrot that will not fix the situation long term.

JeffA:
Is Tossco all 1ton cages up the 45degree cobbled street with a missing wheel then? After reversing down the 300 yard long dog leg dead end street all double parked? And dont forget the doorstep so you have to do a twenty foot run at it to try and get it up - while screaming like William Wallace in Braveheart…

Do they do any reversing onto a bay and reading the kindle for an hour?

No of course not. There’s plenty of back-on-a-bay store deliveries but the point about 1 tonne cages with broken wheels is still true having worked for them out of Goole via a subbie. The bay work is actually the better work :open_mouth: . The Tesco Local stores/One-Stops (and most deliveries to those kind of shops) tend to be a ball-ache for a whole bunch of different reasons. It’s why the likes of Brakes/Bidvest pay a bit higher than other work driving the same class because they know it’s not desirable work and given the choice, most drivers would choose to work elsewhere. Nobody except the masochists are going to choose doing an artic load of One-Stop shops (or Nisa shops from the recent DHL thread) when they could be dragging 26 pallets of baked beans to an RDC in a curtain-sider for the same money. If the latter pays £15/hr then the likes of Tesco/DHL need to be offering minimum 1/3 more (ie. £20/hr) to stand any real chance of getting bums on seats for more than a single shift.

The One-Stop RDC here at Cas has had a permanent ad on Indeed for as long as I can remember. Unsurprising when there’s RM, Asda CDC and K&N all within a stone’s throw where the most effort you’ll do is open the back doors/curtains for the same or better money.

If you like getting hit on the head by the case of beer that falls off the top of the cage , playing musical chairs at the express store with the loaded cages & rubbish cages , tipping 2 Xdd & 1 x single deck , nigh on 200 cages of beer / pop / tins then it’s ok
Me I go with dpcl , I’d rather open the curtains & chuck a couple of straps on 26 palls of pop
The only time I laughed on that job was at Tesco Lincoln , the manager reconed I was taking to long to tip the load , he wouldn’t listen so got hold of a stack of veg trays on wheels and off down the tri at full bore he went ( he hit the lip on the dock leveller I’d just told him about ) , the veg went everywhere & he ended up flat on his face , I just stood there grinning
I got a phone call from a women at Tesco Peterborough saying I’d applied for a job a few years ago , I hadn’t , I’d applied with that agency but not Tesco , she didn’t at first want to take no for a answer but gave up when I told her my thoughts on the job , just never saw the appeal of that job

Tesco is the lowest paid of all the supermarkets, the work is easy enough but any 5from 7 is ■■■■■■

Dimlaith:
Tesco is the lowest paid of all the supermarkets, the work is easy enough but any 5from 7 is [zb].

Sounds like a job for Winseer.

antm4n:
Tesco offers £1,000 joining bonus for HGV lorry drivers - BBC News

Tesco offering a £1K sign up bonus.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

On a 40 hour week that’s less than 50p an hour, so worth sweet F.A. in reality!!

Where’s the full T&Cs for qualifying for this “grab a grand”?

I would imagine that there is some kind of lock-in, where you have to complete so many hundred hours of shifts… But that’s for the 2nd bonus. Is the first bonus as simple as “complete a first week - without getting sacked”, but then again for bods like me - that’s hardly a forgone conclusion to the positive - is it? :frowning:

Winseer:
Where’s the full T&Cs for qualifying for this “grab a grand”?

I would imagine that there is some kind of lock-in, where you have to complete so many hundred hours of shifts… But that’s for the 2nd bonus. Is the first bonus as simple as “complete a first week - without getting sacked”, but then again for bods like me - that’s hardly a forgone conclusion to the positive - is it? :frowning:

There is usually a catch attached to many things in life.

That’s life. Worry not about the things you can’t change and concentrate on the things you can change.

Change comes from within.

Eventually, supermarkets everywhere will realize that you need to build the work around those that will ultimately be doing that work.

“Needs of the operation” means nothing - if the cost of undue accidents and waste - cancels what the supermarket “saves” by having night workers on day rates by refusing to flood the market with Breakfast and Tea Time starts, rather than this Graveyard shift rubbish that abounds…

There are plenty of outfits that would pay “Night Rate” from 18:00 for instance, and as a “right through rate”…

Then suddenly, only the blue eyed favorites get the hallowed 18:00-20:00 starts, with everyone else steered towards 17:45 starts - promptly planned for 15 hours, so you end up working through the entire night on DAY rate driving a DAY cab, and rather more likely to come to grief as a consequence of sharing the “rush hour” roads with DAY drivers who are clearly not aware you’ve been at work since tea time yesterday…

DCPCFML:

JeffA:
Is Tossco all 1ton cages up the 45degree cobbled street with a missing wheel then? After reversing down the 300 yard long dog leg dead end street all double parked? And dont forget the doorstep so you have to do a twenty foot run at it to try and get it up - while screaming like William Wallace in Braveheart…

Do they do any reversing onto a bay and reading the kindle for an hour?

No of course not. There’s plenty of back-on-a-bay store deliveries but the point about 1 tonne cages with broken wheels is still true having worked for them out of Goole via a subbie. The bay work is actually the better work :open_mouth: . The Tesco Local stores/One-Stops (and most deliveries to those kind of shops) tend to be a ball-ache for a whole bunch of different reasons. It’s why the likes of Brakes/Bidvest pay a bit higher than other work driving the same class because they know it’s not desirable work and given the choice, most drivers would choose to work elsewhere. Nobody except the masochists are going to choose doing an artic load of One-Stop shops (or Nisa shops from the recent DHL thread) when they could be dragging 26 pallets of baked beans to an RDC in a curtain-sider for the same money. If the latter pays £15/hr then the likes of Tesco/DHL need to be offering minimum 1/3 more (ie. £20/hr) to stand any real chance of getting bums on seats for more than a single shift.

The One-Stop RDC here at Cas has had a permanent ad on Indeed for as long as I can remember. Unsurprising when there’s RM, Asda CDC and K&N all within a stone’s throw where the most effort you’ll do is open the back doors/curtains for the same or better money.

I’ve worked for One Stop for the past 18 months. Good pay for the low hours and can’t complain about the company, they try their best to look after drivers as they know they’d struggle to retain them otherwise.

Awful, brutal, horrific work though. Double runs delivering 80+ Half ton cages between 10-12 urban/residential stores on a 14 hour shift isn’t just donkey work, it’s torture. Come summer it’s all heavy beer and pop in unbearable heat, come winter it’s towing like ■■■■ through snow slipping around like a ■■■■.

I’ve done some ■■■■ jobs in my time but the past 18 months has given me a whole new perspective. I handed my notice in this morning. I haven’t even accepted a new job yet, but given that I’ve got 3 interviews this week, 2 next week and 1 offer so far without even meeting anyone, I think I’m going to be fine.

Torridon:
I’ve worked for One Stop for the past 18 months. Good pay for the low hours and can’t complain about the company, they try their best to look after drivers as they know they’d struggle to retain them otherwise.

Awful, brutal, horrific work though. Double runs delivering 80+ Half ton cages between 10-12 urban/residential stores on a 14 hour shift isn’t just donkey work, it’s torture. Come summer it’s all heavy beer and pop in unbearable heat, come winter it’s towing like [zb] through snow slipping around like a ■■■■.

I’ve done some [zb] jobs in my time but the past 18 months has given me a whole new perspective. I handed my notice in this morning. I haven’t even accepted a new job yet, but given that I’ve got 3 interviews this week, 2 next week and 1 offer so far without even meeting anyone, I think I’m going to be fine.

It has…

Always been back breaking work. Multi drop drivers are so underpaid it’s scary.

I’m curious, would say, £20 an hour keep you there?