Temporary traffic lights.

A couple of days ago i had to go into town with a mate of mine, His girlfriends car was running like a bag of nails so he wanted me to take a look. I checked it out and it was only running on two cylinders. It was an easy fix but not without the parts. So she took his car and we set off back to mine in what sounded like a cross between a fiat 127 and a buzz bomb.
About 100 yards from where we picked it up are some temporary traffic lights, We needed to keep her going, So he floored it :laughing: straight through (it was dead clear), Next thing plod pulled us. After a long chat with my mate, a vehicle check and body check, He decided to let him off with a warning.
We can’t decide if the guy was just being nice or if there is some sort of rule about stopping at temporary lights being more or less optional.

Nope,temporary traffic lights are just the same as fixed ones. The cop in this instance just used his discretion. I was sat at a set a few years ago,about fifth in line. I could see at the head of the queue a guy I knew in his bright green Pug306 Dturbo. He got fed up waiting(it was a long time changing),and just went for it. The fully marked local police car directly behind him also went for it. The difference was they put the blues on,pulled him,got him in the back-3points,£60 fine. All because of impatience and stupidity.

Skippy70:
Nope,temporary traffic lights are just the same as fixed ones.

Providing that they’re being used with the appropriate authorization.

Skippy70:
Nope,temporary traffic lights are just the same as fixed ones. The cop in this instance just used his discretion.

You’ve been here 3 years and still haven’t worked out that limeyphil leads a fictional life? Author = limeyphil = didn’t happen.

I’ve always been told that if nothings coming the other way at a set of temporary traffic lights you can go through on a red light, as long as you can see the lights at the other end■■? :confused:

SteveBarnsleytrucker:
I’ve always been told that if nothings coming the other way at a set of temporary traffic lights you can go through on a red light, as long as you can see the lights at the other end■■? :confused:

That’s a fact. Also, if you can’t see the other end you are allowed to reverse through so you are facing the right way when the V8 Scanny hoons into view behind you.

you will be hard pushed to find a set of lights set up without the correct notice these days as it costs too much in fines

as for driving through on red , sounds like that is straight out of a waiting /bullshitters room :laughing:

also flashing your headlights does not make them change :wink:

d4c24a:
as for driving through on red , sounds like that is straight out of a waiting /bullshitters room :laughing:

Before 1994, strangely, that was in fact true. Then the following was passed:

The Traffic Signs Regulations and General Directions 1994
“Significance of light signals
33.(1) The significance of the light signals prescribed in paragraphs (2) and (3) of regulation 30 and in regulation 32 (that covers portable light signals) shall be as follows
(a) except as provided in sub-paragraphs (b), (f) and (g) the red signal shall convey the prohibition that vehicular traffic other than tramcars shall not proceed beyond the stop line;”

Rob K:

Skippy70:
Nope,temporary traffic lights are just the same as fixed ones. The cop in this instance just used his discretion.

You’ve been here 3 years and still haven’t worked out that limeyphil leads a fictional life? Author = limeyphil = didn’t happen.

Sod off Rob, It’s wearing a bit thin now. I’m sure the forum members can see that too.