Temporary contract

When I started my new job in June I was put on a temp contract for 6 months as it was the first job for me since recovering from a serious back injury. “6 mothns on temp contract to see how you go then we’ll make it permanent” was the general idea. :smiley:

So in the middle of December I get a letter stating that they’re extending the temp contract til end of Jan. Hmmm. Then lo and behold, yesterday a letter arrived extending it until the end of April. :imp:

So here’s the dilemma. I’ve had this “we’ll make you permanent” at Hygena back in the mid 90’s for 2.5 years waiting like a fool on crap agency pay. Although not agency, I’m starting to think this is going the same way and a temp contract is no good for me if I want to move house this year.

Now do I tell them I’m not extending the contract (partly to teach them a lesson) or just carry on? I’ve a shedload of experience and no problems getting work so I can find something else without worry. Even agencies I last worked at 3 years ago remembered me when I was enquiring for a friend - something to do with having a wierd name.

Suggestions please…

I’ve always found that saying as little as possible in these situations is the best way forward.

Tell them politely that an ongoing temporary contract is unacceptable and wait to see what their response is.

Conor, as you have mentioned that you are hoping to move house, I assume you are considering how the ‘temporary’ status will affect any subsequent mortgage application.

My first option would be to consult an independant Mortgage Broker or Financial Advisor and, if necessary, request them to write to your current employer to clarify your future employment status. A letter of that nature is more likely to gain their attention rather than a request from yourself. :slight_smile:

Seeking financial advice at this stage in no way obligates you to using any particular individuals services at a future date. :smiling_imp: You will still be free to shop around for the best deal. :bulb:

This happened to me once Conor,3 month,3 months and then offered another 3 months and at that point I had a word, told them nicely I needed /wanted something perm and that this would be my last 3 month contract.The job would have to be something special to be messed about and there isn’t too many of them!A twist on this was when I recently rang Howard Tenens to see if they wanted any drivers as I knew they were working a 4 on 4 off shift.I was told the jobs working 4 on 4 off were full but I could work on one of the other contracts until a vacancy came up,thanks but no thanks!

Nationwide gave me a mortgage when I was on a temporary contract on the strength of my past history with them and in fact, on both the day I signed the contract to buy the house and on the day we moved in, I was out of work.

Personally, a temporary contract wouldn`t bother me. In three, or six, or twelve months time, we are simply going to be in even scarcer supply than we are now.

Its not us who are "ten-a-penny" any more. Its them! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Vince

Just quit ! they will offer you full time if they really intended it in the first place, if not then you will be better off going somehwere else.

I’ll have to see how it goes tomorrow. I think I’m just going to tell them that although they’re going to extend my temporary contract, I’m not willing to as it is unacceptable to me and the only thing I want to see is a permanent one. That’ll put the ball in their court then and gives them 2 weeks to think about it. Don’t get me wrong, it’s a good firm but I have a funny feeling that I was the only applicant at the time for the York depot as I wouldn’t have employed myself with the medical questionnaire I filled in.

Personally, ending the job at the end of January isn’t going to be a problem for me as I know I can get other work at the drop of a hat and to be honest working nights no longer seems to have the advantages it once had for me now I’ve two kids so it could be an amicable “get out”.

I’ll see what happens when I speak to the manager tonight. At the end of the day there’s nothing wrong with my driving, attendance, accident record or anything else which’d give them reason not to give me a permanent contract.