Tell me question

wat is the answer to this question?
" how would you check the rear lights on the lorry if you are alone"
i got me class 1 test in the morning at 8.45

I presume this means brake lights as the rear lights are easy to check, just switch’em on and walk back. :wink: :smiley:

Most common method is to wedge the brake pedal down with a length of wood, mag light torch, jack handle or the like before walking back to check. You can also put something heavy on the brake pedal as well.

I have no idea if this answer is acceptable on the test but it works in the real world. :wink: :smiley:

At night you can often get a reflection of the lights in another parked vehicle, the wet ground or some companys provide mirrors mounted on somehthing in the yard just for this purpose.

Good luck with the test.

Good luck with the test tomorrow vigfanbke :smiley:

Good luck :slight_smile:

Good luck for the morning vigfanbke.

As Coffee recommended at night no real problem as you can see the reflections as you press and release the brake pedal.

In day light I always stand my kit bag on the pedal, I usually carry so much junk around that it is more than heavy enough.

If the unit has a retarder then engage that as it will bring on the brake lights automatically when used.

get someone to help you check them :wink:

Good luck vigfanbke

The answer they’re looking for is that you ask someone else to stand behind and check them whilst you depress the pedal…in this case the examiner. :wink:

Lucy:
The answer they’re looking for is that you ask someone else to stand behind and check them whilst you depress the pedal…in this case the examiner. :wink:

The question was

how would you check the rear lights on the lorry if you are alone?

No examiner in that case. :wink: :smiley:

Of course a schizophrenic can always find someone to check 'em.

Doh… :open_mouth: :blush: :blush: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

In that case, what he said… :wink:

If the unit has a retarder then engage that as it will bring on the brake lights automatically when used.

Very few units as yet have retarders (more’s the pity).
[Retarder = Electro magnetic braking device on prop shaft]

CM I guess you were refering to Exhaust brakes?

With some manufactures they do operate the brake lights, others don’t. But its somewhat irrelavent as at idle an exhaust or jake brake will not engage on modern trucks for safety reasons. (it would immediately stall the engine)

Regards, Jonathan.

RETARDERS,come in more than one varity and work also not just on the TRACTOR UNIT but also on THE TRAILER;The one which works on the trailer comes from SPAIN and is popular in europe as this works very well
in the area it is being used, ALSO we have retarders with OIL and ones that
work with water, In FRANCE the weight of the retarder is given free in that you can add this weight to the total sum …ie40tn+150kg==40150kg netto