Telephone and points and pounds

[zb] 3 pts 60 quid

M1 southbound nr Woodhall

Took me ages to suss out, but when I did it had to go. L. :wink:

well i hope the call was worth it .i wish they used unmarked cars to catch people as it winds me up and for once the law is right . dont think you will get any sympathy on here as we are supposedly all professional drivers and tossers doing what they want give us all a bad name

edited by jb for personal attack

you have my sympathy
i dont recall having an accident in 15 years of using a phone while driving
just another stupid law/tax for the government to make money

matt f:
well i hope the call was worth it .i wish they used unmarked cars to catch people as it winds me up and for once the law is right . dont think you will get any sympathy on here as we are supposedly all professional drivers and tossers doing what they want give us all a bad name

You are just as likely to have a bump when you are tuning the stereo or changing the c.d etc,etc.

Have you MATT never recieved an urgent call?
never had a sip of pop or coffee while driving?
never re-tuned the stereo while driving?
never eat anything while driving?
never had a quick look at a map or A-Z while driving?
never programmed the sat-nav while driving?
never spoken to a passenger while driving?

If you can answer yes to all the above then you are eiether a liar or a saint.

Thats a bit harsh Matt, like Ben9 said you must be a saint if you havent done any of the things on the list he wrote, how would you feel if the police pulled you over for a having a drink? You have taken your hand off the wheel so therefore arent in complete control are you??

ben dont even think of giving me that crap as a good friend of mine was rear ended by a driver on the phone on the a 30 who obviously did not see his hazard lights on .on a straight piece of road with half a mile of visibility now i would of thought they would have given him 3 points but the big boss give him a death sentence and when i went up with the low loader they were still trying to get his body out of the cab . the police said on his phone was a text from the guys girlfriend saying see you in the morning dont text me whilst driving . yes i drink whilst driving and eat whilst driving but i put every thing to hand and dont have to take my eyes off the road . as for reading maps and things i never have and certainly wont start now . so sorry to say young man it is legally and morally wrong .

Was it in the truck or car? Automatically reported to traffic commisioner now I thought, presumably for a ban.

Kiowan:
Was it in the truck or car? Automatically reported to traffic commisioner now I thought, presumably for a ban.

nope, and that is from some one who has also been done :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

and as biggus said fifteen years of using a mobile phone and never had an accident whilst using a phoneā€¦i also pick my nose when driving i find it very relaxing i also flick it when rolled :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

In my eyes , itā€™s only dangerous if it is a distraction ā€¦
Work that one out for yourselves .

matt f:
ben dont even think of giving me that crap as a good friend of mine was rear ended by a driver on the phone on the a 30 who obviously did not see his hazard lights on .on a straight piece of road with half a mile of visibility now i would of thought they would have given him 3 points but the big boss give him a death sentence and when i went up with the low loader they were still trying to get his body out of the cab . the police said on his phone was a text from the guys girlfriend saying see you in the morning dont text me whilst driving . yes i drink whilst driving and eat whilst driving but i put every thing to hand and dont have to take my eyes off the road . as for reading maps and things i never have and certainly wont start now . so sorry to say young man it is legally and morally wrong .

Think that kind of says it allā€¦Sorry to hear it m8

I think I ā€œsort ofā€ agree with Biggus and OLT up to a point.

The SECOND biggest problem (IMO) we have with ALL the distractions available to us isnā€™t the actual distractions, but the attention and focus we pay to those distractions.

Although itā€™s a standing joke in this house that ā€œmen canā€™t multitaskā€ :blush: We are all capable of processing a variety of information simultaneously. But some people seem to not prioritise that variety of information in the safest manner.

By far the most important thing in my life is my other half. Thatā€™s a given. But I can honestly say that I have not yet been dangerously distracted from the driving by talking to her on the phone. Even she is temporarily moved down the list of priorities of attention while Iā€™m driving. Truck or car. I use a bluetooth btw. She knows (cos I had to explain) that when I stop talking mid sentence, or even mid word, itā€™s because Iā€™m a bloke, and I really canā€™t multi task and need to divert more of my conscious attention to something thatā€™s happening in front of me. Or behind me. Or at the side of me. She doesnā€™t even get a ā€œHang on a minute Babyā€ Just silence. The same applies to my Traffic Controller. Although I have been known to growl a single ā€œWait !!ā€ at him :unamused:

I actually used to find hands free kits more distracting than holding the phone to my ear. For some reason I used focus my attention on the microphone. I had to consciously ā€œcureā€ myself of that.

Thatā€™s about mobile telephones. But applies to many other things.

How many of us, or them, take our eye a little off the main ball when we do a long nearside mirror check to search for that car we are sure is sat there in the blind spot ? For example. Or hold an admiring glance just a few seconds too long when we something of particular interest to the individual. A field of horses ? A big house ? A flash car ? An advertising hoarding detailing the latest what ever takes your fancy ? The pretty girl in the middle lane wearing a short skirt ? The Alpacas/Llamas at the side of the M6 the first time you pass them ? And letā€™s not forget the scourge that is the rubbernecker !!! Ever forgotten to take off your coat, or high viz (even pink a one) before leaving a tip/collection ? Never needed to adjust your tackle because your sat on a knacker ? (Do the girls have an equivalent problem ? Tittie ache perhaps ?)

So - No. I donā€™t believe mobile phones are the devil incarnate. I do though think itā€™s a question of priority of attention.

For the record - I donā€™t use hand held while driving. But thatā€™s more to do with my opinion of the ā€œclubā€ mentality, and not wanting points on my licence, or having to pay the fines.

dambuster:
Never needed to adjust your tackle because your sat on a knacker ? (Do the girls have an equivalent problem ? Tittie ache perhaps ?)

Knickers up the crack. Bloody uncomfortable and needs fairly rapid adjustment.

Sorryā€¦Back on topic, ladsā€¦ :blush:

Lucy:

dambuster:
Never needed to adjust your tackle because your sat on a knacker ? (Do the girls have an equivalent problem ? Tittie ache perhaps ?)

Knickers up the crack. Bloody uncomfortable and needs fairly rapid adjustment. :blush:

I suppose a thong would be much worse

Apparently, the Bridget Jones Big Knicker things are making some sort of comeback.

Perhaps they would be a betterer idea than the dental floss type things favoured by some ?

Why oh why do I now have a picture in my mind of my notwife in a pink hi-viz and thong :blush: :blush: :blush:

Maybe Iā€™ll make that next weeks ā– ā– ā–  request for Friday night :stuck_out_tongue:

sorry about the rant yesterday but low and behold i had not left the yard 5 minutes this morning when i got to chiverton cross and some nugget is on the phone although there was 3 other people in the car who could have taken the call . so i did the favourite trick of giving him 5-10 seconds of train horn and like most he hung up his call .and yes i probably caused a distraction before you say it :laughing: