Teach em young

facebook.com/photo.php?v=10151469790888419

Hey that wee man could teach one or two so called shovel drivers I have met a thing or two. Good on you wee man. Eddie.

Sorry, I think that is wrong, dangerous environment, dangerous equipment, children should no be allowed anywhere near…IMO

On the other hand , if he overloaded you , you could give him a clip round the ear .

rigsby:
On the other hand , if he overloaded you , you could give him a clip round the ear .

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: !

grumpy old man:
Sorry, I think that is wrong, dangerous environment, dangerous equipment, children should no be allowed anywhere near…IMO

Hiya …i agree his dad should fit a seat for him to sit on…its another world out there BUT can i say, the kids in the uk can’t be bothered
to lift a finger and help out. my nephew is nearly 11 and hasn’t the foggiest way to repair a puncher on his bike, i tried to show him but he wandered off,Bored or something i think. at 12 i was helping out with engine rebuilds on Morris 1000. at 14 i could build an engine no problem.
John

Isn’t that the average age for an employee over there?

Plenty of shovel drivers over here would do well to watch that little lad. The only part of the job he has left to learn is bad attitude :wink:

grumpy old man:

Mmmmmm, I do agree with you in 1 respect, that if you stop to think what could go wrong it’s very scary, but if we never did anything because of what could go wrong then none of us would ever get out of bed in the morning! How many of us have leant to drive wagons that way, some of us were lucky that we were brought up in Transport families where we had easy access to Transport yards & large vehicles of all types, & what did we do? we played :smiley: , & we got better & better at it & it lay the foundations for our working lives :smiley: . I could reverse a artic, go up & down through a range-change or a splitter-box, change wheels, do various engine tinkering etc etc before I left school, & I am not alone on here in that, & I would class myself as a good/professional Lorry driver who can hold his own & turn his hand to anything to do with lorries/transport! Nowadays thanks to Health & Safety & Insurance restrictions, & boring un-imaginative Management who can’t turn a blind eye to anything, boys (& girls) are not coming into our Industry, & that is 1 of the reasons it’s dying on its feet :frowning: , because it’s just no fun any more, so why would anyone want to come into it :frowning: . That little boy is doing what I used to do with my Dad’s/his workmates/my older brothers wagons, he’s having a ball & good luck to him I say! :smiley: Regards Chris

adr:

grumpy old man:

Mmmmmm, I do agree with you in 1 respect, that if you stop to think what could go wrong it’s very scary, but if we never did anything because of what could go wrong then none of us would ever get out of bed in the morning! How many of us have leant to drive wagons that way, some of us were lucky that we were brought up in Transport families where we had easy access to Transport yards & large vehicles of all types, & what did we do? we played :smiley: , & we got better & better at it & it lay the foundations for our working lives :smiley: . I could reverse a artic, go up & down through a range-change or a splitter-box, change wheels, do various engine tinkering etc etc before I left school, & I am not alone on here in that, & I would class myself as a good/professional Lorry driver who can hold his own & turn his hand to anything to do with lorries/transport! Nowadays thanks to Health & Safety & Insurance restrictions, & boring un-imaginative Management who can’t turn a blind eye to anything, boys (& girls) are not coming into our Industry, & that is 1 of the reasons it’s dying on its feet :frowning: , because it’s just no fun any more, so why would anyone want to come into it :frowning: . That little boy is doing what I used to do with my Dad’s/his workmates/my older brothers wagons, he’s having a ball & good luck to him I say! :smiley: Regards Chris

Totally agree with you. I was much the same, could drive, change wheels, drop trailers in dad’s yard from a young age. And your right was only playing. Mind you me old grandad would have shouted at me if I split as much as the boy in video did :smiley: :smiley: used to drive his coal loading shovel to fill the hopper up on many an occasion and enjoyed every second of it !!

If he’s big enough he’s man enough; probably doing a 16 hour shift now.

I wonder if he’s heard of “Minimum Wage”?

Retired Old ■■■■:
I wonder if he’s heard of “Minimum Wage”?

Yeah two lollipops and a can of coke. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

OK, I know, I know,…we’ve all been young once and done things for which we have later (a bit older, a bit wiser) though Bloody hell, that was a silly thing to do .

grumpy old man:
OK, I know, I know,…we’ve all been young once and done things for which we have later (a bit older, a bit wiser) though Bloody hell, that was a silly thing to do .

Very true! But even though you have thought it, if you are like me you have had a little smile/chuckle to yourself & thought ‘Yeah but wasn’t it great’ :sunglasses: :smiley: :laughing: Regards Chris

To have come through some of the adventures relatively unscathed was a bit of a miracle!

adr:
Mmmmmm, I do agree with you in 1 respect, that if you stop to think what could go wrong it’s very scary, but if we never did anything because of what could go wrong then none of us would ever get out of bed in the morning! How many of us have leant to drive wagons that way, some of us were lucky that we were brought up in Transport families where we had easy access to Transport yards & large vehicles of all types, & what did we do? we played :smiley: , & we got better & better at it & it lay the foundations for our working lives :smiley: . I could reverse a artic, go up & down through a range-change or a splitter-box, change wheels, do various engine tinkering etc etc before I left school, & I am not alone on here in that, & I would class myself as a good/professional Lorry driver who can hold his own & turn his hand to anything to do with lorries/transport! Nowadays thanks to Health & Safety & Insurance restrictions, & boring un-imaginative Management who can’t turn a blind eye to anything, boys (& girls) are not coming into our Industry, & that is 1 of the reasons it’s dying on its feet :frowning: , because it’s just no fun any more, so why would anyone want to come into it :frowning: . That little boy is doing what I used to do
with my Dad’s/his workmates/my older brothers wagons, he’s having a ball & good luck to him I say! :smiley: Regards Chris

Agree with everything you’ve said there Chris, and done a lot of it too. Today you take a hgv test…knowing nothing about the industry…you’ve got a licence to drive…but sod all else…
Years back you started in the garage, learnt a lot about how a truck works…maybe you then became a mate, after which you drove a van or small wagon, on to a 4 wheeler, then a 6 or even an 8…with a trailer…then the artic…a proccess that
many of the old lads took. You could rope and sheet, load anything, flats or low loaders…you knew your way around the country…with a map…

Rose tinted glasses time… :smiley: :smiley:

Fergie47:

adr:
Mmmmmm, I do agree with you in 1 respect, that if you stop to think what could go wrong it’s very scary, but if we never did anything because of what could go wrong then none of us would ever get out of bed in the morning! How many of us have leant to drive wagons that way, some of us were lucky that we were brought up in Transport families where we had easy access to Transport yards & large vehicles of all types, & what did we do? we played :smiley: , & we got better & better at it & it lay the foundations for our working lives :smiley: . I could reverse a artic, go up & down through a range-change or a splitter-box, change wheels, do various engine tinkering etc etc before I left school, & I am not alone on here in that, & I would class myself as a good/professional Lorry driver who can hold his own & turn his hand to anything to do with lorries/transport! Nowadays thanks to Health & Safety & Insurance restrictions, & boring un-imaginative Management who can’t turn a blind eye to anything, boys (& girls) are not coming into our Industry, & that is 1 of the reasons it’s dying on its feet :frowning: , because it’s just no fun any more, so why would anyone want to come into it :frowning: . That little boy is doing what I used to do
with my Dad’s/his workmates/my older brothers wagons, he’s having a ball & good luck to him I say! :smiley: Regards Chris

Agree with everything you’ve said there Chris, and done a lot of it too. Today you take a hgv test…knowing nothing about the industry…you’ve got a licence to drive…but sod all else…
Years back you started in the garage, learnt a lot about how a truck works…maybe you then became a mate, after which you drove a van or small wagon, on to a 4 wheeler, then a 6 or even an 8…with a trailer…then the artic…a proccess that
many of the old lads took. You could rope and sheet, load anything, flats or low loaders…you knew your way around the country…with a map…
Hiya that,s about like me…i was up to artic,s at 17 on unmade motorways on them at 17 half.one day i got out of said artic walked a few hundred yards and climbed into a viva school of motoring car with L plates of course…must be safe…
John