Taxing a wagon advice

Evening folks,

My wagon is in for MOT on 30th April, the same date that my current tax disc runs out. Will i be able to tax the vehicle to begin in May when my current MOT is only valid till 30th April? The way i’ve read it on the DVLA website is that I will have to show an MOT certificate which is valid on the day the tax begins. This will mean I have to wait until AFTER the MOT on the 30th to be able to tax it. Am I understanding this right or not?

You’re right, I have just fallen into that trap this month. My test ran out at the end of March, it passed its test on the 23rd, then I went to tax it online on the 24th but it wouldn’t let me as the test pass wasn’t registered on the system at that point. I then wrongly thought I could tax it at the post office in town yesterday (sat 31st) but apparently I couldn’t as I didn’t have a reminder, and the only option was a DVLA local office but they’re not open on a Saturday. So I’ve done it online today and just have to hope nobody notices that I am not displaying the disc for a few days until it comes through the post.

I’ve only taxed it for 6 months so from now on the tax and test will be 6 months apart so I shouldn’t have that issue again…

Paul

Thought so. I only taxed my wagon for 6 months when I started out just to try spread the cost a little bit. Will the wagon come back from text with a valid certificate? If so I will have to nip through to Beverley and tax it in person with the certificate in hand.

xfmatt:
Will the wagon come back from text with a valid certificate?

Depends if it passes or not… :wink:

Assuming it does then yes, you will have a valid certificate you can take to Beverley to tax it.

Paul

repton:
Depends if it passes or not…

Hope it does everything seems ok on it.

That was me flashing you on the 62 last week in case you didn’t know. Also saw you nighting out on side of the M180 on Thursday night. You been running onto Immingham docks?

repton:
I’ve only taxed it for 6 months so from now on the tax and test will be 6 months apart so I shouldn’t have that issue again…

Paul

The other, cheaper, option is to have the lorry tested before the end of the month.
As we all know, the test runs to the end of the relevant month but, unlike a car
there is no penalty in testing it early and no real point in leaving it until the last minute.

In fact, I have just had one of our trailers tested on Friday, the 30th March but the
new certificate expires at the end of April, as did the old one.

Regards,
Nick

ncooper:
The other, cheaper, option is to have the lorry tested before the end of the month.

According to my maintenance guy who booked the test it was the slot he was offered so can’t do alot about it. I’ll be ■■■■■■■ off if it doesn’t pass though and haveto be off even longer!

xfmatt:
Evening folks,

My wagon is in for MOT on 30th April, the same date that my current tax disc runs out. Will i be able to tax the vehicle to begin in May when my current MOT is only valid till 30th April? The way i’ve read it on the DVLA website is that I will have to show an MOT certificate which is valid on the day the tax begins. This will mean I have to wait until AFTER the MOT on the 30th to be able to tax it. Am I understanding this right or not?

If you have a tax renewal form you can tax it two weeks early to start at the beginning of the month, however if it is not taxed or a new vehicle to you, that reduces to two days. well that is how it works with cars anyway. But if you want to keep hold of your money until the last minute then I would do what Paul said, there is parking at Beverley Tax office on the road or you may even get in the car park.

Wheel Nut:
If you have a tax renewal form you can tax it two weeks early to start at the beginning of the month

I do have a renewal form but as i’ve said previously, if I want the tax disc to start from 1st May I would need to produce an MOT certificate which was valid on 1st May, which mine won’t be as it expires 30th April.

xfmatt:
That was me flashing you on the 62 last week in case you didn’t know. Also saw you nighting out on side of the M180 on Thursday night. You been running onto Immingham docks?

Yeah, I realised it was probably you at the last second.

Was doing a lot of coal into and out of Mingingham docks at the back end of last week. Off there this morning with a load of OSR too.

Paul

ncooper:
The other, cheaper, option is to have the lorry tested before the end of the month. As we all know, the test runs to the end of the relevant month but, unlike a car
there is no penalty in testing it early and no real point in leaving it until the last minute.

I realise that and mine was tested over a week before the end of the month in this case. It isn’t always possible to schedule it in right at the start though of course due to fitting it in to minimise the amount of work lost, availability of test slots and workshop time.

Paul

Hello xfmatt,

If there are problems next, or even this year with your test dates, the company who does our maintenance has, from 10th April, an Authorised Testing Facility.
They might well be able to provide a test slot well before 30th April if that would help.

Regards,
Nick.