Taxi licence group 2 licence renewal

hi,just a quick enquiry i had a small brain tumour removed in dec 2018 using SRS surgery and have been told i can never drive taxi again
despite it only taking 20 minutes and was painless
is there anyway around this
thanks for any advice

I think the tumour has effected you. This is a HGV forum not a taxi Forum. Your better of contacting the DVLA and your Taxi License issuing authority for clarification.

Most likely you will have to do a medical to prove you are fit to drive.

Daani:
I think the tumour has effected you. This is a HGV forum not a taxi Forum. Your better of contacting the DVLA and your Taxi License issuing authority for clarification.

Most likely you will have to do a medical to prove you are fit to drive.

Is it any wonder people hate lorry drivers when a supercillious jodrell like you sticks your oar in? have a bit of compassion you berk!
Good luck to the original poster, someone on this thread will hopefully give you an informed answer. Regards Kev.

Here is a link regarding re- applying for your driving license

gov.uk/reapply-driving-lice … -condition

If you already got your car license back then I don’t see why you can’t get your taxi license back. I am sure there will be some form of procedure from the licensing authority on how you can regain your license.

Sorry I can’t be any more help but will try and find some answers for you.

poppymac:
hi,just a quick enquiry i had a small brain tumour removed in dec 2018 using SRS surgery and have been told i can never drive taxi again
thanks for any advice

Most taxi licensing authorities use the same medical standards as hgv and bus drivers, a bus driver friend of mine had a serious brain tumour removed and was told he would not be able to drive a bus for 10 years, i suppose it all depends on which area of the brain is affected.
Who actually told you that you would NEVER be able to drive a taxi again? You would be better seeking medical advice or maybe telephone the DVLA medical team and ask their advice because ultimately it would be their decision.

I say right now… The DVLA medical team are numpties.
They are fantastically slow and inept.

My dad made the mistake of telling them about his condition. I forgot what it was now… But it was minor. He could not drive for 6 months despite being cleared by the doctor.

shullbit:

poppymac:
thanks for any advice

Most taxi licensing authorities use the same medical standards as hgv and bus drivers, a bus driver friend of mine had a serious brain tumour removed and was told he would not be able to drive a bus for 10 years, i suppose it all depends on which area of the brain is affected.
Who actually told you that you would NEVER be able to drive a taxi again? You would be better seeking medical advice or maybe telephone the DVLA medical team and ask their advice because ultimately it would be their decision.

not sure how the reply thing works, the DVA permanently revoked my taxi licence once i informed them of the procedure i had done which was a shock as i never had any symptoms from the tumour which the consultant said wasn’t near anything important in the brain it seems if you get the SRS even for the smallest thing your licence is gone and that is same for lorrie drivers

I’m now guessing that your in NI, with you mentioning DVA, and I’m guessing the DVA also issue taxi licences, what I have posted relates to England, so I’ve deleted it.
Maybe worth while talking to the DVLA at Swansea just to see if they would also revoke for good if you held a truck or bus licence.
Taxi licensing is completely different in England as the drivers licences are issued by the local councils, most use medical standards as used by the DVLA for truck and bus licenses, and some just use a basic medical.

hi weeto
i’m in northern ireland so not run by council over here i actually had a medical with
doctor and he passed me fit to drive taxi but went i sent form of to DVA they over
ruled the doctor and had the doctor phone me to tell me

so so much for doctor having final say

poppymac:
hi weeto
i’m in northern ireland so not run by council over here i actually had a medical with
doctor and he passed me fit to drive taxi but went i sent form of to DVA they over
ruled the doctor and had the doctor phone me to tell me

so so much for doctor having final say

You only have to look through these pages to see that the DVLA will also over rule a doctor or even ignore the fact that the doctor screwed up a medical resulting in a driver losing his/her licence, and then having to jump through hoops to get it back, which can be a long drawn out process, even though there is nothing wrong with them.
Sometimes your just fighting a losing battle with them I’m afraid.

Maybe try a different type of driving. Driving instructor, supermarket home delivery driver. Minibus, up to 8 passengers. All can be driven on a car licence. Maybe even a car transporter weighing up to 3.5 tonnes gross weight.

If your Doctor says your fit to drive and DVA overturned your Doctors Decision then there should be a process where you can Appeal. Try to speak with your Doctor and get your Doctor to fill a medical form stating your fit to drive then Log an appeal with DVA.

Something to be aware of if you suffer from blackouts which are common with tumours then this is possibly why they revolked your license. Also if your taking certain medication then DVA may revolk your License. You need to first speak with your Doctor and get expert medical advise and if its all Good then you have a strong chance with your appeal.

it was only during a routine scan it was discovered i never had any side effects and no treatment since and clear scans since too
GP says he can’t overrule them

poppymac:
it was only during a routine scan it was discovered i never had any side effects and no treatment since and clear scans since too
GP says he can’t overrule them

He can’t overule them, but he initially passed you fit to drive, and like as already been said there will be some sort of appeals process, you are not asking your doctor to overrule them, just to back up his original assement of you and this would be evidence that you would use in your appeal, it looks like you need medical AND legal advice

Looks like there is an appeals process but not sure quite how it works. The NI gov web site says you have to launch it within 3 months.

nidirect.gov.uk/articles/me … nces#toc-3

I suspect unless its a very well paid job, it’d likely cost you more in solicitors than you’d lose by changing jobs.