Tax Rebate ?

Hello Everyone.

Just got a letter through the letter box this morning from a company in Liverpool who say i could get tax rebate on my uniform washing !! how do you know if you already get it as i think it goes on your tax code, while i am asking the questions can i claim for my DCPC course which i paid for myself ? If so which form do i need to claim ?

If you get the allowance for laundry it will be listed on your notice of coding from the tax man under flat rate job expenses
You do not need a third party to claim this if you do not get it You can also claim for previous years as far back as six iirc
If you look on HMRC web site there is a list for most occupations as to what you can claim
As a general rule if you are unsure then a phone call or email to your tax office will usually provide helpful advice HTH

Have you had a “notice of coding” from the tax office … this shows your tax code and will show how it is worked out. The “laundry” workwear thingy is listed as “Flat rate job expenses” … usually £60.

The tax office call centre is in S. Wales … all the local offices seem to have closed. This call centre is, in my experience, quite helpful.
01355 359002 …I use this rather than 0845 No. as it comes out of my minutes on my mobile contract.

As said … No need to use “agency” to claim this for you. I would be wary of giving them personal details :unamused: . NEVER heard of them doing this … I know there is some outfit does tax rebates for you … BUT again … IF you think you may be due a rebate … phone tax office and ASK them to do an review. I did this a few yrs ago when I had worked for a couple of different agencies in the year … got a refund :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

People do not cold-call unless they ultimately want money out of YOU.

I put the phone down everytime someone calls whom I don’t know - even English-sounding females offering me ■■■■■■ favours straight out of the gate. :smiley:

My daughter works in a care home, somebody called in a few days ago and advised them that they could get them all a refund, for laundry expenses. I was a bit suspicous. The company that called was based in Manchester, seems like a new form of scam.
Reading the letter that they gave her, it is asking her to authorise HMRC to pay the refund to the company in Manchester. I presume that the rebate would come direct to her.
She has not used this company and will not be using them.

taxi ray:
My daughter works in a care home, somebody called in a few days ago and advised them that they could get them all a refund, for laundry expenses. I was a bit suspicous. The company that called was based in Manchester, seems like a new form of scam.
Reading the letter that they gave her, it is asking her to authorise HMRC to pay the refund to the company in Manchester. I presume that the rebate would come direct to her.
She has not used this company and will not be using them.

Hiya - The letter i got this morning has not even got a company name, it just says on the “Uniform Tax Rebate” it’s got R38 on both forms .

Yes it also say’s they will take the original tax payment and send me the left overs once they have take there costs out for claiming :open_mouth: There is a £10 processing fee and a further deduction of 20% plus VAT :open_mouth: :laughing:

The Rustler:
This call centre is, in my experience, quite helpful.
01355 359002 …

Just rang it and it’s a child trust fund enquiry number which is now shut.

You claim at the end of the tax year via a P87 “Expenses in Employment” form. Things like workwear you can phone up the tax office and have applied to your tax code but one off expenses such as DCPC, medical, license renewal, truck satnav etc claim via the P87.

You can do all of this yourself and it is very easy. Companies like this prey on the fact people think claiming stuff like this requires a degree in accountancy. The workwear washing thing just requires a phone call to the tax office who are very helpful. You’ll need your NI number and probably your employers PAYE code which is usually something along the lines of 123/AB1234 and will be on your last P60 or ask them for it. The P87 you just download a form, print it off, fill in the amount you’re claiming and post it to them. They don’t require receipts but keep them just in case they want proof.

Conor:
You claim at the end of the tax year via a P87 “Expenses in Employment” form. Things like workwear you can phone up the tax office and have applied to your tax code but one off expenses such as DCPC, medical, license renewal, truck satnav etc claim via the P87.

You can do all of this yourself and it is very easy. Companies like this prey on the fact people think claiming stuff like this requires a degree in accountancy. The workwear washing thing just requires a phone call to the tax office who are very helpful. You’ll need your NI number and probably your employers PAYE code which is usually something along the lines of 123/AB1234 and will be on your last P60 or ask them for it. The P87 you just download a form, print it off, fill in the amount you’re claiming and post it to them. They don’t require receipts but keep them just in case they want proof.

Nice - Thanks for that :smiley: i shall fill 1 in for this year nearer time, see if i can get some funds back from DCPC course :unamused:

It is so easy to do and the Tax office are actually helpful. One thing I must say is if you are entitled to a tax refund they can do it one of two ways. 1. A Cheque sent to you. 2. A deduction in tax you pay for the rest of the year. If you want one tell them this and they will sort it. You can also ask them what you are claiming now and also what else you may be entitled to claim.

bald bloke:

The Rustler:
This call centre is, in my experience, quite helpful.
01355 359002 …

Just rang it and it’s a child trust fund enquiry number which is now shut.

My apologies … that was phone No. that I used, but got to admit it was about 18 months ago :astonished:

Conor:

You may have problems getting a tax rebate on your DCPC course fees. HMRC’s official, stated position is that if an employer provides the training for his staff, or reimburses them if they paid for it themselves, no tax liability is generated for the employee and the company can set the expenditure against their profits to reduce their own tax liability. However, if the employee pays for DCPC training out of his own pocket and is not reimbursed by the employer, then he cannot claim it against his own tax liability. Their reasoning being that it is not an expense incurred “wholly, exclusively and necessarily in the performance of their duties”.

Full details here:
urtu.com/news/hmrc_clarifica … _taxation2

Having said that though, there’s no harm in putting in a claim - who knows, you may get them on a good day and they’ll allow it :slight_smile:

If your on job seekers the DCPC course is free :unamused:

Easy to do, just ring the tax office and they will do it all on the phone for you and you can go back six years.
it aint worth tons but better in your pocket :slight_smile: