Tax disc

Ok so 1st October I tear up my cars tax disc, do we do the same with the one on the truck?

I have a strange feeling that if you have a valid disc you still got to display it.
Probably wrong but thats my feeling.

Even thou dvsa have computer records I just dont trust them fully…thats the puters…

Will miss the carefully tearing of a tax disc …

Did anyone hear the sad git on R2 with Vine yesterday. He collects tax discs, takes it all very seriously. What next, writing down the registration numbers of every lorry of a large haulage outfit? :laughing:

Of course you can remove it if you want to.

Mrmack65:
Ok so 1st October I tear up my cars tax disc, do we do the same with the one on the truck?

gov.uk/government/news/vehicle-tax-changes

Seems to cover all vehicle with a few exceptions - scroll down

bertiebus:
I have a strange feeling that if you have a valid disc you still got to display it.
Probably wrong but thats my feeling.

You don’t, even if the disc is still valid after 1st October you can remove it from the windscreen on the 1st and bin it.

I might wait until 01/01/2015 then wrap the tax disc in my licence paper counterpart before binning them both

Saw something about this today.If you hire or borrow or are in control of a vehicle without tax you get a 50 quid fine.Now if there is no tax disc how the hell do you know?

Apparently theres a web site you can go on that tells you if a vehicle has tax on it.

That really helps on a crappy wet tuesday morning at 4am when your jumping into a hired box van dont it.

Check road fund tax status and MOT here :

vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk/

works on smart phones too :wink: for iphone > open the link in safari then add to Home screen for shortcut app :sunglasses:

if you want to check insurance status :

ownvehicle.askmid.com/

Websites work just as well at 4am on a crappy wet Tuesday as they do at any other time, day or weather conditions…

Mine stays on the windscreen until it expires.

To my knowledge, the law “You must display a valid tax disk” has NOT been repealed by act of parliament.

Anyone buying a new road fund licence won’t get one, and is therefore NOT obliged to display it.

For most of us, we’ll be some way into next year sporting our in-date disks - the “overlap” period. :bulb:

Roymondo:
Websites work just as well at 4am on a crappy wet Tuesday as they do at any other time, day or weather conditions…

Not if you dont have the kiddies comfort blanket eg an iphone or “tablet”
And what happens if its on a public road and your loads in the back already!
Or the tax disc ran out the day before just when you checked it was taxed?

You can give the coppers a cheery wave as they [zb] off with the van and oh yes your load.

Winseer:
To my knowledge, the law “You must display a valid tax disk” has NOT been repealed by act of parliament.

Well I feel distinctly sad for you and your lack of knowledge. The relevant legislation has been amended.

a) Her Maj’s government says so: gov.uk/government/news/vehicle-tax-changes
b) The old law you refer to is Section 33 of Vehicle Excise and Registration Act 1994 - a copy which can be found at www.legislation.gov.uk (please take a moment to view the relevant section)
c) Then look at the Finance Act 2014, Schedule 19 - “Other amendments about vehicle excise duty”, Part 1 “Amendments of the Vehicle Excise and Registration Act 1994” - Section 13. A copy of that is in the following link: (Schedule 19)

Finance Act 2014, Schedule 19, Part 1, Section 13:
13 Omit section 33 (offence of not exhibiting licence).

Now go and find a hat to eat, and spread this new found knowledge rather than outdated opinion. :wink:

Naw I won’t bin it! Just paid 145 ■■■■■■■ quid for it so am getting the value and keeping it in my window!

Laughed to myself about the guy that collects tax discs, well I don’t technically collect them but I’ve had the same car for 10 year and the same tax disc holder and it still has everyone in it. I just put a new one in the front never throw the old ones out :laughing: I’ll be Eddie spotting next :sunglasses:

the fact that you can log on a website and display a valid tax duty ,
is reason enough don`t you think :question: ,
come the revolution brother :grimacing:

Roymondo:

What if you have an old banger eh a phone? A lot of yards live in the dark ages in regards to having access to a computer for google maps aswell.

Putting awe our eggs in this internet basket, I personally like paper discs it’s fail safe. No ifs, buts or maybes it’s either got a disc in the windscreen or it hasn’t.

macplaxton:

Winseer:

Well I feel distinctly sad for you and your lack of knowledge. The relevant legislation has been amended.

a) Her Maj’s government says so: gov.uk/government/news/vehicle-tax-changes
b) The old law you refer to is Section 33 of Vehicle Excise and Registration Act 1994 - a copy which can be found at www.legislation.gov.uk (please take a moment to view the relevant section)
c) Then look at the Finance Act 2014, Schedule 19 - “Other amendments about vehicle excise duty”, Part 1 “Amendments of the Vehicle Excise and Registration Act 1994” - Section 13. A copy of that is in the following link: (Schedule 19)

Finance Act 2014, Schedule 19, Part 1, Section 13:
13 Omit section 33 (offence of not exhibiting licence).

Now go and find a hat to eat, and spread this new found knowledge rather than outdated opinion. :wink:

Well, I’m not a lawyer, and you’re not to be my critic either.
I feel sad that you took the trouble to look that up, just to try and make me look like … “Not a lawyer”■■
Thing is, erring my own way costs nothing to myself or anyone else. Going for the “rip it off the windscreen approach because the law text says so” leaves one open to a nasty surprise if the law was badly worded, and consequently lands some unsuspecting mug in hot water…

I did need a good reminder of what backbiting I left behind when I left full time though, so thanks for that at least. :grimacing:

merc0447:

Roymondo:

What if you have an old banger eh a phone? A lot of yards live in the dark ages in regards to having access to a computer for google maps aswell.

Putting awe our eggs in this internet basket, I personally like paper discs it’s fail safe. No ifs, buts or maybes it’s either got a disc in the windscreen or it hasn’t.

A paper disc may or may not be genuine, it may or may not be valid (due to being paid for with a rubber cheque, for example).

But for the avoidance of doubt, I’m not suggesting for a moment that any website is 100% reliable (or available) at all times. But who cares anyway? The requirement to display a valid disc is out the window as from the end of this month, so as a driver, it really is “not my problem”.

I’d imagine that come October that any driver driving a company vehicle that is untaxed would be treated the same way as currently for an out of MOT vehicle, ie the onus is upon the operator, not driver.

the guy who collects tax discs,in years to come they could become valuable [note I say could]collectors will pay for anything in this day and age