Tax code 773T?

Hello everyone wondering if anyone knows about tax codes mine is 773T at the moment and its being that since i started my new job 10 weeks ago,

Is this an emergency tax code? Tax payments seem high in this code, It used to be 1100L in my last job, Handed my p45 in to HR when i started this job to keep the tax code right,

I did get a rebate about 3 weeks before starting this new job, not sure if that has anything to do with it?

773T means you can earn 773 before you taxed & the T means HMRC needs to confirm some info with the employee

Give them a call pal, they just need to confirm who your main, and possibly only employer is!
They’ll probably also ask what you expect to gross per year and set your code accordingly…
You will then get an adjustment and any overpaid tax returned, mine came back the next payslip! :smiley:

The personal allowance is currently £11,000. This would be reflected in a normal tax code of 1100L, which you can broadly multiply by 10 and divide by 52 (weekly paid) or 12 (monthly paid) to work out how much you can earn in the pay period without paying tax on it.

In your case, HMRC may think you have other taxable income or benefit-in-kind of around £3,300 on which you are not paying tax - maybe a second job, maybe some taxable benefits or something. Alternatively, this might be to recover a shortfall in tax from a previous year.

As has been said, try to talk to them about it (good luck getting through to them, and better luck finding someone who can give you a sensible response). It is most likely that their computers are confused and think you have multiple employments rather than having changed from one employer to another.

Thanks all il call them asap

TruckerAds:
Thanks all il call them asap

It’ll be quicker to send them a letter, I had problems with HMRC and tried calling them and just couldn’t get to speak to a real person :imp: , sent them a letter and the problem got sorted

You can do it online, if you are registered with the Government Gateway.

DO talk to HMRC as they might have got the wrong end of the stick along the way somewhere, and believe you owe them the tax on around £4k of earnings as it stands.

My tax code got reduced like this in 2012-13 because the idiots thought I was working on agency whilst still at my former employer - because I’d received a year-end P60 that didn’t include all of my redundancy payment on it.
This was a “k” code, and meant that practically pound one was straight onto the higher tax rate. It was bloody depressing for a few weeks seeing payslips with like two hundred and something quid take-home out of a near-six hundred gross earnings. :frowning: :open_mouth: They sorted it out very quickly once spoken to on the phone though, and I ended up getting a reduced tax for the rest of the year to make up for the huge amount I’d wrongly been deducted for those few weeks.

“If you don’t ask - you won’t get” though. :bulb:

F-reds:
You can do it online, if you are registered with the Government Gateway.

Yeah but it’s ■■■■■■■ mission impossible to register :laughing:

Passport check passed
Drivers licence check passed
Background check failed because I couldn’t remember who I had a credit card with in 2003 :laughing:

I also tried phoning, it’s like having a bloody conversation with R2D2

Letter is the best way imo