Tautliner advice

Hello all and firstly hi,
My name is Rich i am 26 and based in Southampton. I have had my class 1 nearly 2 years and have just landed my first non container job with a general haulage company using mainly tautliners and some flat trailers. Could i please gain some advice/pointers,dos and donts as this is all new to me and i woud like to attend my induction day with a bit of know how.
A bit of background info: I am a qualified HGv technican but was forced to give it up (full time at least) last year due to a accident i had with a hammer. i have been in haulage/around trucks all my life.
Thanks for any help in advance.
Rich .G

What do you want to know?

Familiarise yourself with ratchet straps. Do not be afraid to ask any driver for help. 1 in 100 is a ■■■■ but the rest of us are happy to help. Be honest about your lack of experience.

Thanks for the replies,
basicly load security is my main concern as its all new. I am fine with using curtains and the straps through my mechanic days. Its just securing the different loads i will be carrying. I just wondered if there where any “unwritten” rules or best practices. Thanks

As has already been said…ask other drivers when on site. Who is it for…Meachers?

Any idea what kind of loads you’ll be carrying?

try this
hse.gov.uk/research/rrpdf/rr662.pdf
copy to a dongle or laptop

who u going to be working for pal. I’m currently working for an agency in soton and have worked for most of the big firms down here recently

Mostly on Containers, the load is pretty well packed & won’t move very far & it’s sealed so you don’t have to worry about what’s going on inside & you can generally drive like you ‘Stole it’. (Same as waste vehicles, lol)

On general haulage, (tauts & flats) you need to take a bit more care with the load, if it goes over, it’s you that ends up picking it up, just before you collect your P45 on your way out of the door.

1st rule is- to start loading on the head board (taking into account weight distribution) the most force acting on any load during normal driving is when you are braking, so it’s common sense to restrain it at the front.

2nd rule is-don’t drive it like a ■■■■ ! Put a 3/4 full cup of coffee on the top of the dash & don’t spill any of it, then there’s a good chance that the load hasn’t moved. It’s not clever to produce 3-G on roundabouts, it just cost you time & the client money.

You will get different loads on a Tautliner, some will be light weight, nice square pallets of cartons that fit perfectly on the deck, they just need internal straps (if at all ?)

Heavier loads ie-pallets of canned food & drinks, I use the internals every time.

Bricks, blocks, 1 ton bags of aggregate/sand/soil, turf, machinery or anything that’s heavy- Mr Spanset is your friend.

Anything on wheels needs to be restrained even more front & back, preferably touching the head board.

If you can’t start at the headboard, obviously make sure that the load is properly restrained at the front, 10 minutes spent at that end can save 3 hours at the other end.

Learn by your mistakes, we’ve all had stuff go over, especially when we first set out, those that say they hav’nt are either Peter Perfects or they’re telling Porkies. I’ve found over the years that if you take your time-it saves you time-in the long run.

martinviking:
Mostly on Containers, the load is pretty well packed & won’t move very far & it’s sealed so you don’t have to worry about what’s going on inside & you can generally drive like you ‘Stole it’. (Same as waste vehicles, lol)

That advice is definitely a candidate for the worst advice I’ve come across on here… :unamused:

2nd rule is-don’t drive it like a ■■■■ ! Put a 3/4 full cup of coffee on the top of the dash & don’t spill any of it, then there’s a good chance that the load hasn’t moved. It’s not clever to produce 3-G on roundabouts, it just cost you time & the client money.

And then you give this advice? Make up your mind, you’re not helping a newbie by contradicting yourself!

You will get different loads on a Tautliner, some will be light weight, nice square pallets of cartons that fit perfectly on the deck, they just need internal straps (if at all ?)

Heavier loads ie-pallets of canned food & drinks, I use the internals every time.

No, not every time far from it. Spansets are often much better.

Bricks, blocks, 1 ton bags of aggregate/sand/soil, turf, machinery or anything that’s heavy- Mr Spanset is your friend.

And perhaps chains for machinery… :wink:

If you’re offering advice try to be consistent and above all, safe! There’s a good chap! :wink:

Take your time is the best advice you’ll get. No customer wants their goods ruined due to driver error. If in doubt…Throw extra straps over everything. Better safe than sorry. As mentioned…Spending a few minutes more, will save you in the long run.

If your tending to use 1 trailer you’ll build up some extra bits if kit like Edge Boards, easily made out of 2 pallet slats with a bit of webbing / old strap nailed together used on all types of loads god on brick and blocks, plaster board / sheet timber / steel plate etc used to protect straps from sharp edges.

Containers Treat with the utmost care you don’t know whats in it or how its loaded or secured, this goes for any trailer you haven’t loaded curtain or box .

Play around with straps (internals hanging from the middle of the trailer roof ). you have 1 strap as long as it will go then feed that through the webbing of another fix the long strap to the trailer rave then adjust the other strap to fit the other side of the trailer making an upside down Y, this gives you a x over the back or front stack that you cant really do with centre hung straps.

If there are internal floor fixings use them where possible.

Old discarded straps and ratchets ( Straps can be cut down if damaged to make shorter straps )

Ratchets keep lubricated with a spot of 3-in-1.( if you have any small bits of carpet 6in square put a cut 3/4 way across 1in from 2 of the edges (works as strap protectors and with the 2 cuts you can feed your strap through keeping it in place .

Carry a Claw hammer and a hard rubber mallet and a 2ft bar. the rubber mallet is good for when your side post lock jams, the claw for taking out nails or putting nails in the bar as a jimmy.

A few short lengths of rope always handy.

Like I said if your not swapping trailers you’ll be able to store/stow lots of bits of kit, depending on the tractor unit you’ll be surprised what you’ll accumulate and be able to stow away .

If un sure there’s only one thing to do … ASK … never be worried about looking or sounding a complete ■■■ asking is better than stuffing it up… remember you can never over secure a load …

DrivingMissDaisy:

martinviking:

That advice is definitely a candidate for the worst advice I’ve come across on here… :unamused:

And then you give this advice? Make up your mind, you’re not helping a newbie by contradicting yourself!

If you’re offering advice try to be consistent and above all, safe! There’s a good chap! :wink:

Sorry Daisy, but I was just referring to the OP’s 1st post, as he knows what containers are like. It was just a figure of speech, not meant to be taken seriously, that’s why I lol’d it at the end.

What do I win any way ?

martinviking:

DrivingMissDaisy:

martinviking:

Sorry Daisy, but I was just referring to the OP’s 1st post, as he knows what containers are like. It was just a figure of speech, not meant to be taken seriously, that’s why I lol’d it at the end.

What do I win any way ?

I’ve got a second hand cat food bowl? :slight_smile:

DrivingMissDaisy:

But you’ll have to pick it up from here
creativelydifferentblinds.co … ircus.aspx

:grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:

DrivingMissDaisy:

martinviking:

DrivingMissDaisy:

martinviking:

What do I win any way ?

That’ll do ! A prize is a prize after all, even if it is for bad advice & being guarded by a Lion ! :slight_smile:

Thanks for all the advice and replays guys. It has given me a lot more of an idea for Monday rather than going on there fresh faced lol.
And to answer your question it is Meachers. Thanks rich

R.G:
Thanks for all the advice and replays guys. It has given me a lot more of an idea for Monday rather than going on there fresh faced lol.
And to answer your question it is Meachers. Thanks rich

Well done, I applied but wasn’t successful (Start Monday at Gregory’s Distribution instead).

Been there a lot on agency placement over the last year and a bit and I like working for them. Not met one unhelpful driver there but I dare say there must be at least one somewhere.

Their trailers are a mixture of new and old tautliners. Only the new ones are fully certified load bearing curtains. They look identical, but the back doors (no laughing!) are a different colour.

There’s plenty of straps available as well as internals and definitely get some good advice about strapping the Plastic panels, they are a nightmare if not done right.

Oh and don’t be scared of the paper rolls!!!

For strapping up use these pointers will it move of strap it here will that do what I want it to do when you’ve strapped up check agin will it still move if not jobs done right if it still moves are the straps slack has one pinged of the edge does it need more. Also consider the size distance to be traveled weight and height too oh and try to strap so that the force of the strap goes through the product and into the pallet if you know what I mean like don’t strap where there’s no support for it

Oh and if you have to load set back from the headboard use internals to put a cross in with your internals so that if the lurch forward there not going far

Absolute best thing though is to do what I do and just watch other drivers and think will that work for me sometime (as long as it’s safe) and certainly don’t be afraid to ask for help

Sorry to double post admins but also if it looks like it could move even with a ■■■■■■■■ it try a barrel hitch you will be surprised what they can stop movings and how much force you can get on them and finally protection ( I don’t mean for your knob either) of your straps sharp edges can wear straps away quickly and can cause injury when you least expect it I inherited a set of straps on my wagon that were duff got strapping up on day and it broke clean in two in the middle nearly demolished me face if I hadn’t felt it breaking I don’t think I’d be writing this that’s for sure so a bit of carpet some cardboard anything to stop sharp edges becoming lethal is a must