Tatra

I just bumped on the internet onto that picture:

I never seen anything like that, so I wonder if it was some kind of prototype?

Tatra for me is mostly construction vehicle and ballast tractors like that one:

(i was going mad when I was a kid when I saw one of them, I wanted to drive one of them when I grow up, or the garbage truck (I wasn’t able yet to decide when I was 5, you know))

But, back to the point
Googled a bit about the general haulage tatras and found nothing, but bumped onto something also interesting - very unusual outfit:

So anyone has any idea what is that on the first picture? Maybe someone seen them on the road?

surprise to see Tatra doing some update looks!

I like third pic interesting combination- it is very Eastern European looks :smiley:

on the first pics my attention was drawn to steps. Are they pulling over, or they are fixed like that permanently? I guess it’s very easy to loose them if the latter is true…

Hi Orys
That is quite a good looking truck I think they have had a more modern looking range for a while now but aimed more at the tipper and construction markets but this looks as though they are going to break into the haulage sector I see what you mean about the steps sureley they must retract.
Eddie.

I thought they mostly built all wheel drive stuff but on their webpage I see they are now involved with DAF so they could be changing things :wink:

tatratrucks.com/news/tatra-a … greements/

This is one of theirs

Seems that first one is on it’s way:
tatraphoenix.com/en

the steps are like that to create the needed down force to keep it stable :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

orys:
Seems that first one is on it’s way:
tatraphoenix.com/en

Hm, so now they just take cabs and engines from DAF. But their unique frame and suspension solution stays they own.

I keep my fingers crossed for them that they won’t follow the path of Foden…

Tatra 165 (though reg docs say 815-something), three prototypes of long-distance tractors in 1990s (1997/8?):

• white with more square cab and different grill to this one, (but same as another prototype (815-3?)) ladder frame (unusual for Tatra), double wishbone front axle ZF, swinging half-axle Tatra at the rear, air suspension, 4x2, Deutz engine 500-550hp, ZF gearbox,
  • blue, cab like this red one, chassis like the white one but with Tatra V8 engine and Eaton gearbox,
  • red (this), 4x4, classic Tatra backbone chassis and drivetrain.
    Thanks to the double wishbone front axle the engine sat very low and the cab had totally flat floor - without sitting high like the one of Magnum. Plus, it was rather spacious inside. The red one however has a proper hump in the cab, given by the chassis design. The steps pull out/in as the door is open/closed, but can be locked in out position.
    The white one sat with blown engine at the factory ground for quite some time, last time I heard it was bought by a collector / Tatra fan, somewhere in the west of CZ. The blue one was on regular tipper work until recently (2/3yrs back) with company called Chalupecky, the guy does lots of testing for Tatra. Since perhaps restored and kept for fun only. The red unit was used by Tatra to pull their hospitality trailer to shows and fairs; 2/3 years back was offered for sale, last time I heard it was owned by a Tatra dealer in Slovakia, pulling standard curtainsiders.

The whole project was cancelled due to lack of funds and by decision of the (then) new owner (Terex) who wanted to concentrate on off-road market.

That unusual outfit is 815 with Terrno grill and high roof (from 815-2N51?), 8x4 with last axle steered, it was used to export Tatra kits and components to Russia. The layout was dictated by the requirement to fit assembled 4-axle chassis into the body, manouverability, rear overhang, axle load etc. (in addition ot max payload, sure).

BTW, new(-est) Tatra is called 158 Phoenix, it’s got DAF CF cab (with an ugly grill, imho) and DAF engine (and should be sold via DAF dealers worldwide).

Thanks for the info.

Here pic of the red one with the steps hidden in:

So I guess the ones have their place in the big truck stop in Heaven just next to Liaz Xena:

Btw: do you know anything about Tatra cars? There were some rumours that they will come to the production again with this Subaru Boxer engine, is there any truth in that?
Edit: here some ads about this red one for sale. I would say that can make quite nice motorhome :wink:
en.tatra-club.com/model/tatra-165-68

sea frog:
the steps are like that to create the needed down force to keep it stable :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Thought it was so it could double as a lawn mower :laughing: