Tarmac reversing camera obsession

:grimacing: however did any of us manage not to mow down any one without one

ANDY MASSEY:
:mrgreen: however did any of us manage not to mow down any one without one

Some didn’t manage, hence the cameras…and reversing radars.

you want to try and drive a sweeper in their works.

The firm i used to work for has the contract to sweep tarmac sites.

Flashing beacons, reversing camera and dipped headlights at all times.
they said the reversing beeper we had been using all of a sudden wasn’t loud enough.
we fitted the loudest MOFO beeper we could get and it was TOO loud.
when i left they were having to fit the distance sensing variable reversing squelch type.

Are cameras fitted to all their vehicles then ?

I don’t see anything wrong with using modern technology to make it easier and safer for trucks to reverse, I’ve never used one but in principle at-least reversing cameras seem like a good idea and good aid for the driver.

I’ve found them great for spreading material, tipping into hoppers and when on demolition work, making sure the rubble hasn’t jammed in the tailgate.

OP! Where’s the original post gone?? :smiley: :smiley:

Yeah, Tachograph. All the quarries specify at least reversing camera’s now. I have heard a very strong rumour that the latest trucks have also got to be equipped with one on each front corner looking back, one looking across the front ( about bumper height, I believe ) and a forward facing one as well…

Along with all the rest of the ‘safety’ gear they have to have, I think the payload will be soon around the 10 tonnes mark for an eight wheeler… :unamused: :smiley:

Rules vary by site and by sector of the business.

I work on bagged aggregates and all our own trailers have reversing cameras but a lot of the units (on hire) don’t even have screens fitted! We had some flat trailers on hire, had cameras fitted then a week later, ripped them out and sent the trailers back! We’ve just taken delivery of seven wagon and drags on blocks and these have reversing cameras but not much more. Tarmac have too many managers going round making stupid rules up instead of putting proper workers on the ground who just like to get on with the job.

Muckaway:
I’ve found them great for spreading material, tipping into hoppers and when on demolition work, making sure the rubble hasn’t jammed in the tailgate.

+1

I love my reversing camera, handy for blindside reversing and handy when tipping into a hopper.
I also leave it on when parked for the night and watch the scrotes park up behind me. Twice I watched suspicious activity on my camera and when I turned my lights on and turned the engine over the vans shot off straight away!!

msgyorkie:
I love my reversing camera, handy for blindside reversing and handy when tipping into a hopper.
I also leave it on when parked for the night and watch the scrotes park up behind me. Twice I watched suspicious activity on my camera and when I turned my lights on and turned the engine over the vans shot off straight away!!

And those with sound you can hear your workmates moaning about you when parked up…

Love my cam too, I also park up and hop over to the passenger side and watch it while I tuck into a pot noodle

It is all a good idea when they are not paying for it, I think the worm may have turned now because they are putting special offers on new trucks because no one is buying and if they dont buy now the will not be able to afford Euro six .