Tarmac etc

Hi all

I’m after some advice if this is possible. I,ve been looking at purchasing a truck that can move tarmac etc, and subbing through tarmac/hansons etc, does anyone have any advise on who is better.

Now I know that with this type of work, normally the company would like me to have a new machine, but would a second hand unit do?

many thanks

a lot of lads local to me work for tarmac out of their maltby quary and they all use second hand kit, some two or three years old, some a lot older but i would assume to run fulltime for them in their livery, they’d have some say in the wagon you run.
other than that i can’t help.

A former coleague of mine went as an OD with Hansons (8x4 tipper).

He does well out of it. Hansons let him chose what wagon he wanted but it had to be new and only work for them.

Despite being an OD he is subject to WTD (‘small print’ about how many ‘customers’ he has!?!) but it isn’t a problem for him with the Hanson workload.

Last year he cleared £40k (and then I think he paid himself £20k, but he does get a good pension from a previous job as well!). £20k clear profit don’t seem too bad to me.

Well, if you like rolling big stones uphill - go for it!

Unless you have a SUSTANTIAL amount of capital you wish to throw at a truck deposit I wouldn’t bother.

I do it out of habit and a desire to be home every night.

Boring work and treated like a child sums up the working conditions.

Do a search for my previous posts for more info as I cannot be bothered to type it all in again.

Paul b - I think you’ll find the Maltby boys run new gear as its the only way to make the job pay as I may have said before (I do know a lot of them btw :wink: )

But I agree with you that the job isn’t what it should or could be!