Tarmac and (old) cliffe hill quarry

God the names bring back some memory’s
My dad was Steve Armson
Funny thing I still see mo Morris as he is my plumber and still lives in Leicester
If any of you guys didn’t know but my dad passed away 3 years ago and Jack my grandad passed away this year in july
Will try and dig a few photos out and post them

Found this picture of my grandad Garry worth don’t know if anyone remembers him or cliffe hill transport co and what they did as he has long passed, also rough date would be nice thanks

The lorry in the picture is about a 1957 Thames trader. I lived off whitwick road in coalville as a child near the ford garage (now motors coalville). I remember when these lorries were new there must have been about a dozen of more of them. I remember seeing one in a scrapyard a few years later so I guess they didn’t stand up to tipper work too well.

vougese39:
God the names bring back some memory’s
My dad was Steve Armson
Funny thing I still see mo Morris as he is my plumber and still lives in Leicester
If any of you guys didn’t know but my dad passed away 3 years ago and Jack my grandad passed away this year in july
Will try and dig a few photos out and post them

Would love to see some pictures of your Dad & Grandad & their trucks, I knew them both well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jayfiestalx:
Found this picture of my grandad Garry worth don’t know if anyone remembers him or cliffe hill transport co and what they did as he has long passed, also rough date would be nice thanks

Gaz Worth as we knew him at Old Cliffe Hill, I certainly remember him 1987-92 while I was at the quarry

Jayfiestalx:

Certainly pre 1968 when Tarmac took over Cliffe Hill

Jayfiestalx:

Must have been one of the first Traders.Any Timing gear problems ?

Tony

They were short wheelbase with a metal body whole lorry painted red .I think they were a throw away lorry run them hard for a couple of years and then get shut. I never saw them sold secondhand. Tarmac had hundreds of them I used to go to tarmac corby and Scunthorpe with my dad there were always thames traders in their fleets 4 and 6 wheelers.

hello folks i have a bit of an obsestion with old tarmac wagons and the old cliffe hill quarry as i used to go with my dad during the 80s and early 90’s when i was lad
i’ve found a few on here thanks to bonky :grimacing:
but does anyone have any photos of old tarmac 6wheeler leyland constructors i’m trying to find one of my dads he used to run out of old cliffe hill quarry in markfield the reg was XRR 989Y from what i remember it had the optional sunvisor across the windscreen a pair of air horns on the cab and the mud flaps that hung off the front bumper :sunglasses:
my dads name is Alan curtis does anyone remember him? when he wrote off the leyland around 1989/90 he bought a 6wheeler volvo FL7 the reg F616 GKX painted in the yellow and green i would love to find a photo of this aswell
and any photos of anything around old cliffe hill quarry or foden and erf tarmac trucks i’ve been searching for years and only just unearthed some
so folks anyone have anything interesting :grimacing:

TheFan46:
hello folks i have a bit of an obsestion with old tarmac wagons and the old cliffe hill quarry as i used to go with my dad during the 80s and early 90’s when i was lad
i’ve found a few on here thanks to bonky :grimacing:
but does anyone have any photos of old tarmac 6wheeler leyland constructors i’m trying to find one of my dads he used to run out of old cliffe hill quarry in markfield the reg was XRR 989Y from what i remember it had the optional sunvisor across the windscreen a pair of air horns on the cab and the mud flaps that hung off the front bumper :sunglasses:
my dads name is Alan curtis does anyone remember him? when he wrote off the leyland around 1989/90 he bought a 6wheeler volvo FL7 the reg F616 GKX painted in the yellow and green i would love to find a photo of this aswell
and any photos of anything around old cliffe hill quarry or foden and erf tarmac trucks i’ve been searching for years and only just unearthed some
so folks anyone have anything interesting :grimacing:

Hi Fan46,
You mentioned Bonky in your post,have you looked at his thread about Tarmac tippers on the photo forum,he has a load on there. We have quarries here on the Welsh Border,but we are 100 miles from Cliffe Hill,so can’t help you. Good luck with your search I’m sure someone will come up with something.
Cheers Dave.

yes mate i have the old wreker foden photos are from old cliffe hill as are a few others i remember playing in that as kid!
that place just holds so many memorys for me

just bumping this back up :smiley:

cliffe hill had a bunch of red ford thames traders 4 wheelers in the 1950s they had foden eight wheelers too.I also remember seeing really ancient foden concrete mixers from there>They used to run into norfolk a lot if I remember correctly

I remember your Dad in XRR989Y, I still work for Tarmac now, but worked in the lab at Old Cliffe Hill and later at New Cliffe Hill / Stud Farm in the laboratory FROM 1987 -1993…I will hunt out the pictures ! If you send me a PM, I’ll mail you the aerial pictures I have of OLD CLIFFE HILL. Out of interest, Tarmac bought Cliffe Hill Granite Company in 1964, apart from Cliffe Hill, they owned Sand & Gravel operations in Norfolk, they paid £3 million for the company,and outbid Hoveringham Gravels who also wanted Cliffe Hill…back in 1988 there was still a wagon there in the red & gold colours of the Cliffe Hill Granite Company, it was used as a pump in the quarry hole, and very rarely came out of the hole…

Heres an ERF from Markfield based Dennis Moulding

please check page 110 of the thread scrapbook memories for a great photo of two cliffe hill foden tippers around 1962/3

I remember Denis Moulding well, here are some of the other owner drivers I remember from when I started at Old Cliffe Hill in 1987…Mick Alton,Rob Fanning,Steve Hoggar, Derek Cribb, Gary Vesty (had just started with YJU25Y…now has many trucks in MQP colours),Reg Smith, Reg Toon, Ralph Meakin Senior & Junior, Brian Partner. Outside Hauliers, Jack Vesty, J.T.Newbold & Son, P&M Ruck (on rail ballast),Jack,Steve and Neil Armson …5 coated plants in those days, ahh, happy days…

TARMAC:
I remember Denis Moulding well, here are some of the other owner drivers I remember from when I started at Old Cliffe Hill in 1987…Mick Alton,Rob Fanning,Steve Hoggar, Derek Cribb, Gary Vesty (had just started with YJU25Y…now has many trucks in MQP colours),Reg Smith, Reg Toon, Ralph Meakin Senior & Junior, Brian Partner. Outside Hauliers, Jack Vesty, J.T.Newbold & Son, P&M Ruck (on rail ballast),Jack,Steve and Neil Armson …5 coated plants in those days, ahh, happy days…

all those names i know well here is a photo of my dad with his FL7 on the m40 thanks to steve hoggar and adrian bland!