Tankers

Am i being over simplistic? If you drive a road tank up hill the load can move to the back causing a loss of traction so wouldent a twin pot solve this problel and keep the load evenly distributed?

Some have buffers,or to stop the slop moving around,steel walls inside the tanker.

yes, baffles stop the liquid sloshing about

bjd:
Am i being over simplistic? If you drive a road tank up hill the load can move to the back causing a loss of traction so wouldent a twin pot solve this problel and keep the load evenly distributed?

2 or 3, even 4 potters are used and you can adjust the weight over the drive that way, unless you are carrying different commodities. For instance, a 10 22 and 12 split will only work if you have enough over the pin

Even a single potter with baffles will give you problems up hill if it is a slack load.

Anyone loaded cream for Arla,it takes hours and hours,cancell your evening arrangements with the wife,and bring a good book or two.

Lots of Road Tankers do have more than one compartment (I actually had to think of the British term then!).

If you knew how much hassle it is to load the same viscous load into various compartments you wouldn’t want to bother.

If the load is less viscous you can balance the load with the connecting pipes and valves but if the product cools or goes off in the pipes you’ll be in trouble.

BTW the internal baffles on a single compartment tank are virtually internal bulkheads with a man hole and drain holes. Its still doesn’t stop a runny product sloshing to the rear as you drive to the upper deck on a ferry though.

W

Cow juice tankers.

toby1234abc:
Cow juice tankers.

Haha,

I used to load cow juice at a place called Barmstedt. The foreman was a complete stroppy lunatic in the best German tradition.

We had to measure the ullage when we loaded the milk and if you got it wrong (which was easy to do) he would go ballistic.

One of the Dutch lads got so fed up with him he filled his tank right to the top and came home with just shy of thirty tonnes of milk.

W

AlexWignall:

toby1234abc:
Cow juice tankers.

Haha,

I used to load cow juice at a place called Barmstedt. The foreman was a complete stroppy lunatic in the best German tradition.

We had to measure the ullage when we loaded the milk and if you got it wrong (which was easy to do) he would go ballistic.

One of the Dutch lads got so fed up with him he filled his tank right to the top and came home with just shy of thirty tonnes of milk.

W

I have always filled a milk tanker to the gunwhales otherwise you end up with a big block of cheese

I pull a liquid tanker with no baffles anywhere inside because it is legal to use baffles when pulling food grade liquid in the USA, germs etc can hide in the angles of any joint etc. The trailers are 48 ft long with 45 ft tanks usually conating 52,000lbs of very hot liquid sucrose, I travel along back road mountain routes a lot of the time and as sugested every time I go up hill the load forces presure to the back, likewise on a donwhill grade it rushes foreward. It’s true that this varies the amount of traction on the drive wheels but even though during about 4 months of the year those roads are snow covered I still keep going along at the uslual speed. I would rather drive those route in those snowy conditions than empty because when empty I have hardly any traction in the snow, in fact the truck having two drive axles makes it far worse, I wish we had single drive axles and an extra axle on the trailer, traction would be greatly improved and I know this from 25-30 odd years of British and European driving with single drive axles, what ever weight you have all goes on that one axle and so provides far better traction.

Pat Hasler:
I pull a liquid tanker with no baffles anywhere inside because it is legal to use baffles when pulling food grade liquid in the USA, germs etc can hide in the angles of any joint etc. The trailers are 48 ft long with 45 ft tanks usually conating 52,000lbs of very hot liquid sucrose, I travel along back road mountain routes a lot of the time and as sugested every time I go up hill the load forces presure to the back, likewise on a donwhill grade it rushes foreward. It’s true that this varies the amount of traction on the drive wheels but even though during about 4 months of the year those roads are snow covered I still keep going along at the uslual speed. I would rather drive those route in those snowy conditions than empty because when empty I have hardly any traction in the snow, in fact the truck having two drive axles makes it far worse, I wish we had single drive axles and an extra axle on the trailer, traction would be greatly improved and I know this from 25-30 odd years of British and European driving with single drive axles, what ever weight you have all goes on that one axle and so provides far better traction.

Thank christ Carryfast is dead, otherwise this thread could seriously deteriorate :laughing:

AlexWignall:
Lots of Road Tankers do have more than one compartment (I actually had to think of the British term then!).
W

I bet you were calling them ROOMS weren’t you?

It confuses the hell out of people when the name for cream is also Room

Compartiment
Tankraum
Kammer
Pot
Chambre

Loooooook ! … T A N K E R :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

7035_134732158955_648888955_2368824_1139088_n.jpg

Wheel Nut:

AlexWignall:
W

I bet you were calling them ROOMS weren’t you?

It confuses the hell out of people when the name for cream is also Room

Compartiment
Tankraum
Kammer
Pot
Chambre

No, I was going to call them kammers. Old habits die hard haha.

As for the milk in Barmstedt, it was some sort of concentrate thats why the ullage was so important. You certainly couldn’t drink it.

To everyones relief they fitted a meter so going there wasn’t quite as stressful.

W