Tankers?

If it is a job which only carrys one product and just means you have to pump off the load some pumps are reversible with a lever to control which direction the load will flow and some it is an inlet and outlet pipes from the pump only so you have to make sure you have the pipes on correctly other wise you will pump from the storage tank into your road tank and make a very big mess.

In fairness proberley not the best choice of job to blag your way into

Santa:
The most important thing to know about tankers is that they are best left to people who know what they are doing.

Yet they still let me loose with them on a daily basis :grimacing:

Wheel Nut:

stag10:
meant to put a link :blush: :blush: :blush:
youtu.be/2WJVHtF8GwI

It is impressive, it has been posted before, but imagine the phone call.

Well Boss :open_mouth: :blush: :blush:

It is very easy to do though, no illusions necessary :laughing:

Can someone explain how and why this happens?? Also can it go the other way ie to much pressure inside and blow up?? Sorry i got an “E” in science :unamused:

How can this happen ?

From the YouTube clip it appears that this was a staged event with an eager group of onlookers, so I guess they simply evacuated the air from the tank via a pump & waited for the outside ambient air pressure to crush the tank (IE they created a vacuum)

The same can (and on occasion does) happen to a containerized tank that contains liquid that is discharged using a customers pump, the tank is fitted (or should be) via a vent valve that will allow air to enter the tank as the product discharges.
Should that valve malfunction a vacuum will start to form and a collapse will occur.

All food grade liquid tanks are fitted with vent valves as they are often steamed out to conform with hygiene regs, again should the valve fail then you have a hot tank that as it cools will have a lower air internal air pressure than the outside colder air. In this situation a tank has been known to collapse as in the film clip.

AlexWignall:
Whatever you do, open the vents or the manlid before you start pumping…

Al

If you do this on a food grade tank you will likely find that your P45 will follow :wink:

FarnboroughBoy11:

Wheel Nut:

stag10:
meant to put a link :blush: :blush: :blush:
youtu.be/2WJVHtF8GwI

It is impressive, it has been posted before, but imagine the phone call.

Well Boss :open_mouth: :blush: :blush:

It is very easy to do though, no illusions necessary :laughing:

Can someone explain how and why this happens?? Also can it go the other way ie to much pressure inside and blow up?? Sorry i got an “E” in science :unamused:

It as been known for lids to blown off but this was because they were not secured correctly and the pressure release valve was blocked off usually when you get up to around 30 psi the release valve will operate to maintain the safety levels. This can happen when a tank is not vented when pumping off to allow air to take the place of the product being discharged and also when the tank as been steam cleaned out and is very hot and the lids are closed with no access for air to fill the vacuum of the hot air contracting so it will ■■■■ the tank in. I have seen this happen on an elliptical tank after being steam out and the safety valve was blocked off and the driver was cleared of blame.

fill a ■■■■ bottle with warm ■■■■, seal and leave it to cool and it will have slightly imploded, Do the same to a tanker and it will be scrap price only.

youtube.com/watch?v=ibw2C9KQlTM

Science lesson number one :laughing:

Well explained people!! And wheel nut yes I have noticed that with the ■■■■ bottle before, now you come to mention it.

Dodgy Permit:

AlexWignall:

Al

If you do this on a food grade tank you will likely find that your P45 will follow :wink:

Hmm, Guess your firm never had Sterile Filters then? Or perhaps you never had to scrape “food grade” Orange Juice Concentrate with a long handled scraper? That would be fairly hard with the manlids shut.

My advice was the simple advice that I was given when I started on Tankers.

After reading more of the thread I think the OP should just be honest about his experiance with his future employers. If the firm is any good they will be glad to train a driver to their own standard.

Regards Alex

Simple explanation of a pressure tanker, go in the bathroom and get your deodorant, lay it on its side and press the button. It is a pressurised tank and when you open the valve, the liquid starts to flow. You will never reload it though :laughing:

If , like me , your going to be discharging a tanker under pressure , you should be getting some proper training on it’s use and the safety implications . Take this training on board and don’t try taking shortcuts to save time . Ignore fellow drivers who may tell you to do it all differently once you are on your own as this may cost you a lot more than time .

I recall a thread on here somewhere that goes into more detail on Tanker use , try a search .

AlexWignall:

Dodgy Permit:

AlexWignall:

Al

Hmm, Guess your firm never had Sterile Filters then? Or perhaps you never had to scrape “food grade” Orange Juice Concentrate with a long handled scraper? That would be fairly hard with the manlids shut.

My advice was the simple advice that I was given when I started on Tankers.

After reading more of the thread I think the OP should just be honest about his experiance with his future employers. If the firm is any good they will be glad to train a driver to their own standard.

Regards Alex

Yes Alex you are quite correct in that a good company will indeed train to their standard & it is of course ludicrous to try and explain the methodology of discharging tankers via this format. It can of course be quite dangerous if certain procedures are not carried out
BTW food grade filters were fitted to the Fort Vale valves on the liquid sugar tankers I was involved in.

Hi Dodgy, I guessed you worked with Glucose. Not many people would know that a boiling hot tank can implode on contact with cold air.
Our tanks had Fort Vale relief valves. Stamped “Made in Accrington” I think.
It made me smile to think that at least I wasn’t the only spare part from England working on that tank.

This has been an enjoyable thread. I wonder if has been any use to the OP?

Br Al

AlexWignall:
Hi Dodgy, I guessed you worked with Glucose. Not many people would know that a boiling hot tank can implode on contact with cold air.
Our tanks had Fort Vale relief valves. Stamped “Made in Accrington” I think.
It made me smile to think that at least I wasn’t the only spare part from England working on that tank.

This has been an enjoyable thread. I wonder if has been any use to the OP?

Br Al

I think they were from Colne or Nelson originally, now in Simonstone Burnley.

Fort Vale make all the valves, manlids, relief pressure valves and bursting discs for most manufacturers of road and rail tanks.

The only tank you want to create a vacuum in, is a vacuum tank :laughing:

I am on tankers at the mo....And it all seems very ■■■■■■ to me. Sucking off. Blowing off. Perverts tanker drivers, the lot of em :laughing:

The one thing that seemed most important to me was the venting and when to do it, get this right and most other things can be rectified if cocked up, apart from emptying a front compartment first, if it is a 50-50 split!
This is foodstuffs only.
Not too sure I would like to do chemicals…I can`t imagine anybody would be paying me enough to risk my life with such increased odds.

att:
I am on tankers at the mo....And it all seems very ■■■■■■ to me. Sucking off. Blowing off. Perverts tanker drivers, the lot of em :laughing:

Wait until you get a problem with a cleaning ring, or start wearing rubber suits, boots & masks :stuck_out_tongue:

coupling, rear discharge and cavitation.

Steady Mabel :laughing:

Wheel Nut:
I think they were from Colne or Nelson originally, now in Simonstone Burnley.

Fort Vale make all the valves, manlids, relief pressure valves and bursting discs for most manufacturers of road and rail tanks.

The only tank you want to create a vacuum in, is a vacuum tank :laughing:

You can pull a partial vacuum on LPG and Anhydrous Ammonia tankers, some places in the world use a vacuum pump to unload them, a 100 tonne storage tank can have 3 tonnes remaining in it after all the liquid is taken out. 33 tonne rail wagons are unloaded this way.
Obviously the OP is not going to be driving ADR, as the company DGSA will check his ADR certificate and it will tell them straight away how experienced he is.
Refineries don’t like newby drivers, as they have to put an operator on with them until they are happy that the driver can load (got to be signed off by the senior op). Most refineries in the UK are bottom load, because too many tanker drivers were falling off the gantry. Some depots are still top load

don’t think i can add much to the comments that have gone before , a usefull tip from me would be (bear in mind i have only done milk tankers)

if you need to un hitch an empy trailer ready for an unacompanied reload, either dump the air on the unit suspension or only wind the legs but not let them touch the ground by about 2-3 inches , as when it’s loaded she’ll sit bum heavy, seen many a driver just drop a trailer then scratch their heads as to why the pins ‘too high’ whenn wanting to hitch back up when it’s loaded

bobobolinsky:
…Obviously the OP is not going to be driving ADR, as the company DGSA will check his ADR certificate and it will tell them straight away how experienced he is…

The certificate indicates qualification, not experience.