Tankers

Hi, would like to know what working on tankers is like as a job. Bulk powders, milk any kind of Tanker work. I Appreciate your input.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve done various tanker work and have to say I quite liked it, especially milk tanker work I did when I was an agency driver. I used to trunk the milk to various depots and the work was nice and easy, just arrive and go on the weighbridge then get a milk sample then onto a loading bay and sit there for a couple of hours while the milk is tipped and the tank internally cleaned. At one depot they even connected the pipes for me!

Tucker9037:
Hi, would like to know what working on tankers is like as a job. Bulk powders, milk any kind of Tanker work. I Appreciate your input.

Liquids and powders are two very different beasts and as such two very different jobs. Powders can be likened to tippers or containers. Its a dead weight with a much higher than usual centre of gravity so care is needed with adverse cambers/roundabouts etc.

Liquids are a law unto themselves. Watch any laden tanker pull up to a red light and long after the handbrake has been applied you will see the cab rock gently forwards, then backwards. Forwards then backwards. It can be enough to make a driver of a sensitive disposition seasick. :grimacing:

The other thing with liquids is they climb up the inside of the tank. The harder you turn, the higher the liquid climbs until in the end there’s enough liquid up the inside of the tank to push the lot over onto its side.

Not trying to put you off. I like tanker work. But it does deserve a modicum of respect.

thank god those cars were just seconds away from being flattened !! Anyway, i have done both tanker work in powder and liquids…powder was the preferred one though, did sugar too from france to the uk, that was a doddle, but the tanks was with ISO tanks…fruit juice to be precise, they were very unstable if you take your eyes off the job…had a problem once when loaded, and had to stop on a winding hill, just couldnt get going as the liquid rolled to the back of the tank taking the traction off the front, had to get the police to hold up the traffic whilst i reversed down to the bottom, then clear the road whilst i went up in crawler…that was the only problem i had but all in all a great job.

I’m currently on Liquid tanks, loading out of stanlow majority of the time and run all over…can be out up to 4 nights a week but sometimes get home through the week also, I’ve been on about 18 months now and love it, actually like the fact there is more to i than just having to drive. All clean work too which is a bonus. We do a run a cross to France once a week as well carrying sulphur trioxide…so even managed to gain a bit of euro driving experience through that.

Thanks for all the replies, I’m coming off Car transporters to go onto tanks. Really looking forward to the change

Tucker9037:
Thanks for all the replies, I’m coming off Car transporters to go onto tanks. Really looking forward to the change

I did that, well chuffed, lower top line but better paid when working out the rate for hours worked.
Several lads i know have done the same, none of us going back…well unless summat goes seriously ■■■■ up in our lives :open_mouth:

Enjoy :sunglasses:

By the way, the job?, easy peasy, you’ll pick it up in no time.

Juddian:

Tucker9037:

I did that, well chuffed, lower top line but better paid when working out the rate for hours worked.
Several lads i know have done the same, none of us going back…well unless summat goes seriously ■■■■ up in our lives :open_mouth:

Enjoy :sunglasses:

By the way, the job?, easy peasy, you’ll pick it up in no time.[/

Really looking forward to it bud, the thought of loading 11 cars in the snow this winter sends shivers down my spine

Preferably with the steepest decks covered in ice as well, so instead of walking down the deck you go down the quick way :open_mouth: , cos ■■■■■■ decks are always so forgiving :unamused: :cry:

I have been driving trucks since 1975, all box vans or flat beds until I started with Foodliner on liquid tankers, I have never had such an easy job in my life, It took some getting used to the feel of the liquid moving around, having to take curves and bends in a different way takes some change in your driving techniques but all in all I love it, I d not like dry bulk or powder tankers, the load doesn’t move around but they are higher and in my opinion more unstable. It doesn’t matter where I go, I almost always come back empty, even NYC to Truro Nova Scotia which is a 4 day run, I still return empty. Liquid are the way to go, if you do it you will not want to go back.

I’ve done liquids & powders, & I’d say powders is easier than liquids, because powders are more of a dead weight.
You won’t get an easier job than either, because open lid product goes in with no securing & you can’t damage it