tanker companies

Robert Armstrongs. Liverpool. Southampton based F12. Tricky suckers to reverse !

F12 along side a Scania bull nose , Loading out of Nichola Wines in Paris. Mid '80’s

Fergie47:
Robert Armstrongs. Liverpool. Southampton based F12. Tricky suckers to reverse !

F12 along side a Scania bull nose , Loading out of Nichola Wines in Paris. Mid '80’s

Hi Fergie
On this driveing competition a driver was from Armstrong called john smith

Might be some more names someone might recognize.I do know that Angelo passed away a few years ago.
Cheers Malc.

Malc

That was Smudger Smith from Langport, Somerset. He had an F89 then an F12 Roadtrain I think.

Fergie

Fergie47:
Malc

That was Smudger Smith from Langport, Somerset. He had an F89 then an F12 Roadtrain I think.

Fergie

Hi Fergie,
I have edited post now list of names had dissapeared.
Cheers Malc.

Gone but not forgotten. Harold Woods & Buckley Tankers.

Buckleys,Warrington is a blast from the past,I used to fill up in their depot - can’t recall the name of the road.I think they disappeared into TDG or summat?

Hi CHRIS A few more you may remember.
Fred Chappell Tankers Atkinson

Cleveland Tankers Berliet.

Another of Smith & Robinsons Volvo

Reliance ERF & Suttons ERF

JOHN

Hi John,thanks. :sunglasses:
Fred Chappell is a blast from the past,he was from Owl Lane Ossett and IIRC carried a lot of marker dye.And Cleveland Tankers,I’d forgotten about them,were they part of a group?
Only Suttons left out of that lot I think :frowning:

Hi Chris.Cleveland Tankers were part of Rankins and then they got swallowed up into TDG(Total Disaster Group) along with Buckleys and the rest.
John

Stanfield:
Hi Chris.Cleveland Tankers were part of Rankins and then they got swallowed up into TDG(Total Disaster Group) along with Buckleys and the rest.
John

Thanks for that John.I remember Rankins from Newcastle,they used to bring crude tar into Dorman Long Chemicals (BSC) at lovely Port Clarence,Teesside :laughing: So that’s where Buckleys and the other two went then - the Total Disaster Group. :frowning: It’s a long time since I was on tanker work but there was Dennis Dixon and Imperial Tankers from Teesside in the 90s,are they still going?

Chris.A couple more

JOHN

Yes Denis Dixon is still operating at Teeside one of the directors from Sadler went there in the traffic office and Imperial were bought by The Hargreaves Group along with Gilbraith from Accrington.Imperial then took over Stillers and moved into their yard at Stockton.I think Hargreaves have left Imperial in the livery they already had and also the name.

JOHN

One or Two more tanker companys.
Morrey Oils

Industrial Chemicals

Fearns Tankers

Denis Dixon

P & O

Nynas Oils

William Nichols

Where did Dennis Dixon appear from? was he one of the old hand ICI, Imperial drivers?

there isn’t much history on the website and he was just coming into the chemical market as I was going further afield with general.

Many of the Nynas vehicles were operated by Harry Lawson from Broughty Ferry after the edible market was killed off in Scotland but the one in the picture seems to be registered much further south.

Was thinking the other day are EUROVOS still going, not one in a while.■■?

I remember they used to run blue FL10’s and all the wheels were a different colour.

1 Like

Hi Wheel Nut
Yes Denis Dixon started on his own when ICI finnished with there own transport,I believe he used to drive for ICI,He’s been going a few years now and he keeps a nice fleet.The Nynas is registered in Preston isn’t it (PN)
John.

Stanfield:
The Nynas is registered in Preston isn’t it (PN)
John.

Yes Mate, sorry my mistake. I was using the old system of registration numbers and came up with Brighton East Sussex :blush:

Ben9:
Was thinking the other day are EUROVOS still going, not one in a while.■■?

I remember they used to run blue FL10’s and all the wheels were a different colour.

Eurovos / Foodtrans are part of the Den Hartogh / H&S Transport group. I believe Rudi Vorster still works there though.

TREVOR MARLAND:
HI, jim d, i used to run out of esso dingle in the 60/70s when bob cole, jack miburn, billy walton, frank johnson, and a few more,
we had a good crack with the esso lads they were good times, and rodger and mrs townson was running the company, and
bernard knox was the fitter at the time, nice to here from you,regards, trevor marland

Hi Trevor sorry I missed your thread happy days & nights for sure, queueing to tip at shotton.Can’t put faces to names but lads were a great bunch I remember one guy used to always wear a ■■■■■■■■■ overcoat summer or winter dead shiny with black oil nice lad though. I used to drive the Guy Rodger had on black oil at dingle & then the AEC mandator used to like going up to your yard in Mumps for service or jobs Bernard was a really nice bloke as was Rodger always got looked after when we called in.I think his start with the Esso contract sparked off his expansion with his fleet, I believe he eventually sold out.Funny thing just recently a lad Ive known for some time who,s into heavy horses when I mentioned I worked on tankers asked me did I know of a firm called Townsons from Oldham he was really surprised when I told him i,d driven some of his vehicles apparently some of his mates worked there but again names meant nothing his name is John Williams I think he lives Rochdale way. Nice to hear from you Trev, regards Jim.

One of Thomas Allens here for you.

John.