tanker companies

Aye,morning Ray - and it’s a lovely day in the IOM :smiley:
I think I remember Wilsons having a Reddish address on the doors,way back in the late 60s.They did a lot of East Anglian work and they were slower over Woodhead that Connells with their 8-leggers.I once went to the other Wilsons,the brewery,was it on Rochdale or Oldham road,can’t remember.It was a cash in the hand run from Sheffield with a load of Belgian beer and the one and only time I drove a Volvo 88.

I have a couple of “Sykes” wagons from another ex driver Steve Cook

The turquoise was the colours before changing to the dark blue and red

Hi Sammyopisite
Great pictures you have added there of Sykes Tankers.I notice on the 1st one EVH221L that it has the letters SI on the front o/side wing this was the logo for the Staveley Industries group of companys were they part of that group as well.

Stanfield:
Hi Sammyopisite
Great pictures you have added there of Sykes Tankers.I notice on the 1st one EVH221L that it has the letters SI on the front o/side wing this was the logo for the Staveley Industries group of companys were they part of that group as well.

Hi Stanfield no it was just their logo I think it was a big “S” with a small g & c or L for "Sykes Group of Company’s Limited " it was all owned by the Sykes family and a very good firm to work for
cheers Johnnie

Hi Sammyopisite…Yes I can see it now cheers mate(I knew I should have gone to specsave today).Did they have a small depot at Shaw nr Oldham at one time.

Stanfield:
Hi Sammyopisite…Yes I can see it now cheers mate(I knew I should have gone to specsave today).Did they have a small depot at Shaw nr Oldham at one time.

yes we did I had two good mates who worked there before they came up to Shepley big Jack and piggy they were on oil there but came onto bulk liquids
cheers Johnnie

sammyopisite:

Stanfield:
Hi Sammyopisite

Hi Stanfield no it was just their logo I think it was a big “S” with a small g & c or L for "Sykes Group of Company’s Limited " it was all owned by the Sykes family and a very good firm to work for
cheers Johnnie

just guessing,but doesnt that “s” look like the “s” as in suttons of st helens.some sort of tanker link ■■? :question:

HI, jim d, i used to run out of esso dingle in the 60/70s when bob cole, jack miburn, billy walton, frank johnson, and a few more,
we had a good crack with the esso lads they were good times, and rodger and mrs townson was running the company, and
bernard knox was the fitter at the time, nice to here from you,regards, trevor marland

sammyopisite:

Stanfield:
Hi Sammyopisite

cheers Johnnie

Hi sorry to upset you two but the s logo three one s in the middle the big one one s at the top one s at the bottom , which stand for Sykes and sons of shepley , late changed the design when the f7 volvos and 2500 dafs came into the fleet it was a trianlge design and cane be seen at the total garage at birchencliffe , This from one of there drivers ,

5thwheel:
How about Lynch in Northwich,you don,t see many of them now,are they still operating?

Rgds,

David

yes lynch tankers are still operating

Stanfield:
Hi Sammyopisite

the guy in the bottom photo left sykes and started the truckstop at whitwood

Hi cabbie jr.Yes I can now see how the 3 S’s are formed thanks for that info.By the way Lynch tankers are still operating as you say but Peter Lynch sadly passed away last year R.I.P.

cabbie jr:

Stanfield:
Hi Sammyopisite

Hi cabbie jr and welcome to the site the guy in the crusader is not John it is a guy called Ken who was a driver and went into the paint shop and he had just brought it up from the paint shop in Milnsbridge to Shepley where the photo was taken. If your user name is from your old man and he is called Geoff and drove for both Shaws and Sykes I know him very well.

Hi All, I’ve managed to blag a few more photo’s, with permission from a good mate at FFB
Hope they jog a few memories

Sniffy:
Hi All, I’ve managed to blag a few more photo’s, with permission from a good mate at FFB

What a lovely piece of kit, can imagine that being a proper job, one man one truck and being able to look after your own pipes, coupling and tools properly

Sniffy:

What a lovely piece of kit, can imagine that being a proper job, one man one truck and being able to look after your own pipes, coupling and tools properly.

Could you ask your mate if he has any pictures of a couple of trailers built for Incobulk, at the time they were the largest capacity tanks that Metalair had ever built. I got a new one coupled behind a DAF 2500 around 1984

Hi Wheel Nut, will ask about Incobulk and post anything they can find

“If your user name is from your old man and he is called Geoff and drove for both Shaws and Sykes I know him very well.”

Aye so do I we used to go to school together. We both lived in Meltham. Same guy?

Does he still wear short pants? He nivver was very tall. :laughing:

sammyopisite:

cabbie jr:

Stanfield:
Hi Sammyopisite

Hi cabbie jr and welcome to the site the guy in the crusader is not John it is a guy called Ken who was a driver and went into the paint shop and he had just brought it up from the paint shop in Milnsbridge to Shepley where the photo was taken. If your user name is from your old man and he is called Geoff and drove for both Shaws and Sykes I know him very well.

The Yorkshireman:
“If your user name is from your old man and he is called Geoff and drove for both Shaws and Sykes I know him very well.”

Aye so do I we used to go to school together. We both lived in Meltham. Same guy?

The Yorkshireman:

The Yorkshireman:

yes the very same one