tanker companies

kevmorrow:
Gone shopping this morning at Aldis department store, Fakenham Norfolk. Kinnerton chocolate factory is situated next door to car park. Taking photo of Armet tanker was a lot more interesting than buying a rug. I remember Charlie Lucy Liverpool had links with this company. I think ARMET was Alan Robert Metcalfe, did he sell out to Charlie Lucy, join forces with Abbey tankers. Cannot believe how food tankers have come on leaps and bounds since the 1980s since redundant from S&Rs. No climbing on top to open foot valves. No more worrying about load getting cold with vehicle water tracing. Many times I had to go on steam trace over night at Harry Lawsons tankers Dundee for Stonehaven or Peterhead.
Bit of nostalgia, Does any body remember Liverpool companies. Mckinties tank wash. Cavendish tankers. Lawrensons (Bibby contract). Liverpool had loads of work in the 1960 70s for food tankers, Britannia Lard, Peerless refining, Merseyside foods, United Molasses, Kraft Kirkby to name a few.
Regards Kev

I worked for abbey for 14 years out of London yes Armet sold out to Abbey and is now 1 big concern

kevmorrow:
0 I worked out of Taylor Road yard Urmston. I remember S&Rs changing their fleet to Volvo 86s late 1960s replacing ERF A series. Good all-round visibility but no sleeper. When I was made redundant from S&Rs 1984 I was driving Volvo F7. Regards Kev

My late father drove for S&R Brentwood depot from 1970-1992 Alan Brooks

gingerfold:

Chris Webb:

kevmorrow:
watched a program on tele today about “How its Made”. They subject was “Chemical Tank Trailer” youtube.com/watch?v=g4BiI0JsnR8

I remember collecting new tankers from WP Butterfields Shipley about 1972 and some Clayton Tankers not a lot has changed in design.
gracesguide.co.uk/W._P._Butterfield
claytoncommercials.co.uk/index.php/about/

Regards Kev

Yewco - Yorkshire Engineering and Welding Co. Ltd. were also at Shipley Kev.

I’ll be very surprised if the chemical tank trailer was made in the UK. No one here makes a pressure powder tanker anymore; we have to import them from Europe. We tend to be nostalgic about our lost vehicle manufacturing industry, but we’ve also lost the ancillary makers as well. My Goods Vehicle Yearbook from 1962 lists these liquids and / or powder tanker makers: -
A.P.V. of Crawley
Andrews Bros, Bristol
Anthony Hoists, Ruislip
Appleyard, Leeds
Autolifts and Engineering, Blackburn
E. J Baker, Dorking
Barham Bodies, Northampton
Baranaby’s Motor Bodies, Hull
O.G. Barnard, Stowmarket
W.B. Bawn, London E17 (They only made tankers)
Bonallack, Basildon
B.T.C. Trafford Park
W.P. Butterfield Shipley
Capital Motor Co, London N1
Carmichael & Sons, Worcester
Darham Industries, London W.C.2
Dayson & Co, Smethwick
Dunns Motors, Taunton
Duramin Engineering, Ruislip and Lydney
Eagle Engineering, Warwick
Holmes-Alexander, Dumfries
Interconsult, Slough
Jeffrey’s Commercial Motors, Swansea
Lawson Pigott Motors, New Barnet
Marston Motor Company, London N15
Metropolitan-Cammell Carriage & Wagon, Birmingham
Mickleover Transport, London NW10
Alfred Miles, Gloucester
R. Murfitt, Wisbech
Portasilo, York
Powell Duffryn Engineering, Cardiff
Road Transport Services, Hackney
Chas. Roberts, Wakefield
Saro Engineering, Anglesey
Scammell, Watford
Scottorn Ltd, New Malden
Steel Barrel Co, Uxbridge
Thompson Bros, Bilston
Oswald Tillotson, Burnley
Universal Boilers & Engineering, Burnley
Yorkshire Engineering & Welding, Bradford

You missed out Clayton Commercials Graham. Universal Boilers & Engineering became UBHI (Universal Bulk Handling International) after the company moved to Burscough. It’s still in existance, and after a period of around 25 years without producing road barrels they re-commenced production 3 years ago and are still building them.

Sayers Road Tankers of Leeming Bar Northallerton are still building road tanks today.

Hi a Marky and John.
I had put link on may last post about Clayton Tankers but maybe my browser does not take this site anymore or they have closed down.
I moved way from Manchester over 35 years ago and live near Kings Lynn. Many times over the years I would passed through Sutton Bridge and tanker builders Metalaire-Filliat seems to moved off this site and investigated on the net to see if it has closed down. It has been taken over by a Dutch company Felbinder and info on their site “Since the end of 2011, the service and after-sales operations have been focussing exclusively on the facility in Sutton Bridge, which has been modernised extensively. Consequently”
Maybe another one bites the dust?
KEV
ps John still wading through your fine collection.

tankerdriver1971:

kevmorrow:
Gone shopping this morning at Aldis department store, Fakenham Norfolk. Kinnerton chocolate factory is situated next door to car park. Taking photo of Armet tanker was a lot more interesting than buying a rug. I remember Charlie Lucy Liverpool had links with this company. I think ARMET was Alan Robert Metcalfe, did he sell out to Charlie Lucy, join forces with Abbey tankers. Cannot believe how food tankers have come on leaps and bounds since the 1980s since redundant from S&Rs. No climbing on top to open foot valves. No more worrying about load getting cold with vehicle water tracing. Many times I had to go on steam trace over night at Harry Lawsons tankers Dundee for Stonehaven or Peterhead.
Bit of nostalgia, Does any body remember Liverpool companies. Mckinties tank wash. Cavendish tankers. Lawrensons (Bibby contract). Liverpool had loads of work in the 1960 70s for food tankers, Britannia Lard, Peerless refining, Merseyside foods, United Molasses, Kraft Kirkby to name a few.
Regards Kev

I worked for abbey for 14 years out of London yes Armet sold out to Abbey and is now 1 big concern

It was Tony Metcalfe, Anthony R Metcalfe, he used to work for Prices at Bromborough.

I worked from most of those companies you mentioned and a few more. Matthews of Ossett with lard and margarine. Unichema. Van Den Burgh & Jurgens. Loders and Nucoline. Pura. Loders Crooklaan. LD Industries.

Then it was Bill Brennan. Yeoward Bros. Fleet Haulage. City Tankers.

kevmorrow:
Hi a Marky and John.
I had put link on may last post about Clayton Tankers but maybe my browser does not take this site anymore or they have closed down.
I moved way from Manchester over 35 years ago and live near Kings Lynn. Many times over the years I would passed through Sutton Bridge and tanker builders Metalaire-Filliat seems to moved off this site and investigated on the net to see if it has closed down. It has been taken over by a Dutch company Felbinder and info on their site “Since the end of 2011, the service and after-sales operations have been focussing exclusively on the facility in Sutton Bridge, which has been modernised extensively. Consequently”
Maybe another one bites the dust?
KEV
ps John still wading through your fine collection.

Clayton tankers closed down a few years ago but the name and some of the equipment was purchased by RTN in Barnsley, Now labelled RTN Clayton they are producing stainless Steel tanks again

ERF-NGC-European:

I think that ERF is one of Harold Woods contract wagons,It says BP Chemicals Saltend Hull on back of tank and I do remember seeing those types of tank in there,early 70s.

ERF-NGC-European:

ERF I worked for Distillers at Pollard Street Manchester for a short time carting Distillers CO2 on contract with Smith of Eccles.
Chris I had also seen these sort of tankers at was Shell Carrington Manchester but never got close enough to see one discharge. Guessing but would this tank have foot wheel valves on the top or similar to a spirit tank. Notice 4 pots of 1100 gallons and would that be close to 18 to payload?.
KEV

kevmorrow:

ERF-NGC-European:

ERF I worked for Distillers at Pollard Street Manchester for a short time carting Distillers CO2 on contract with Smith of Eccles.
Chris I had also seen these sort of tankers at was Shell Carrington Manchester but never got close enough to see one discharge. Guessing but would this tank have foot wheel valves on the top or similar to a spirit tank. Notice 4 pots of 1100 gallons and would that be close to 18 to payload?.
KEV

Kev,I think from memory that Ethyl Acetate,Acetone,MEK and IPA were all about the same density so 4400 gallons would be about 17 tons.1000 gallons of Toluene or Benzene was around 4 tons which were heavier products. I never saw these tanks in use, only when being carried but there’s no sign of a ladder to get on top unless it’s up front.I will ask a friend of mine who did more time than me out of Saltend,he might know a bit more.I notice it’s labelled ATW -Approved Tank Wagon - for carrying alcohol products under bond.

Stanfield:

The driver of the Alfred Manchester Scammell was Jimmy Doyle.

CJA1:
Just a few of AMs Sed Atki BW n Color,

Thank you for these. The Scania picture i have never seen before.
Graham Manchester

One of Fred Chappell’s 1964 reg ERF- CWX387B .I may have put this on here before ,if so my apologies.

Stanfield:
One of Fred Chappell’s 1964 reg ERF- CWX387B .I may have put this on here before ,if so my apologies.

That’s Fred’s yard at the bottom of Grange Rd. Batley. I don’t ever remember ERF’s, Fred was a Sed Atky man, but I’d moved on to Hargreaves at Liversedge by 1964.
But I’ll tell you this, they were very happy days. Fred was a good man, one of the best, he gave me(and one or two other young fellas) a start in road haulage.

grumpy old man:

Stanfield:

That’s Fred’s yard at the bottom of Grange Rd. Batley. I don’t ever remember ERF’s, Fred was a Sed Atky man, but I’d moved on to Hargreaves at Liversedge by 1964.
But I’ll tell you this, they were very happy days. Fred was a good man, one of the best, he gave me(and one or two other young fellas) a start in road haulage.

Dave,did Fred Chappell have a yard on Owl Lane Ossett int 70s? Or was that someone else?

Aha,
#1 Correction. Fred was an Atky man, Sed Atky hadn’t been invented.
#2 Fred Chappell, Owl Lane is Freds son, Brian Chappell. Still in business. After being made redundant at Hargreaves (mid 1984) Brian gave me a job, mainly running gas oil dye to all the UK refineries.

does anyone have any pictures of John Forman Ltd who had depots at Gateshead,Middlesbrough, & Hull. i worked at the Gateshead depot in early 70,s. There were about 20 tankers based there & a parcel van fleet. The bulk of the tankers were green on spot hire but 6 of them were painted black & on contract hire to Lenings chemicals which became Rohm & Haas @ the Jarrow plant, i know they were taken over by P & O & then probably TDG. It just seems strange that there are no pictures of any of there Volvos when there fleet between the depots must have totalled 100 trucks.