tanker companies

Ready for work. Chris

Hi Chris.
Do you know anything more about this Mammoth Major KGY 788D,looks very much like an A E Evans ex Shell,the one next to it has a reg starting with NW which could be NWR Yorks West Riding and Evans had a few ex Harold Wood in that sequence.
The other photo was taken at Barking depot,the Mammoth Major was another ex Shell and the Mandator next to it was ex LPG Morley.

Chris Webb:
Hi Chris.
Do you know anything more about this Mammoth Major KGY 788D,looks very much like an A E Evans ex Shell,the one next to it has a reg starting with NW which could be NWR Yorks West Riding and Evans had a few ex Harold Wood in that sequence.
The other photo was taken at Barking depot,the Mammoth Major was another ex Shell and the Mandator next to it was ex LPG Morley.

Did they have any of the old motors still running when you got your Marathon Chris .When the very first Mercedes came to Henry Longs my dad was still using his MKV Mammoth Major

Chris Webb:
Hi Chris.

Hi Chris, thought when I found these you would be onto them :smiley: Sadly no I have no info on KGY, I found it in amongst some other pics I’ve got & thought straight away ex Shell/BP/A E Evans so I put it on in case you recognised it! Chris

ramone:

Chris Webb:
Hi Chris.

Did they have any of the old motors still running when you got your Marathon Chris .When the very first Mercedes came to Henry Longs my dad was still using his MKV Mammoth Major

Hi Ramone.
I think this was still running when I got the Marathon in Sept 1976,the last MK5 at Sheffield. The last MK3 went in 1972 I think. They put a 1968 “F” reg tilt cab Mammoth Major ex LPG ont road in around 1973/74.You can see the back end of it in second photo,courtesy of POD Robinson and Mick Cook.

Lord Rayleigh’s Dairies were based in Essex, pic taken in 1954 shows a BMC tractor coupled to a Butterfield/Tasker trailer. As was the day the driver looks very smart :smiley: Chris

Scan0001.jpg

Pic taken in the YEWCO Works, Yorks, a few old names here no longer seen on our roads. Chris

Pic taken in Ellesmere Port in 1984. Chris

Scan0003.jpg

Sayer’s from Catterick Bridge. Chris

Scan0001.jpg

Scammell R8 belonging to Bulk Liquid Transport of Gildersome nr Leeds. Chris

Seddon Atkinson MRJ449P one of 3 put into the fleet of J L Randell of Heysham by J L Townson Tankers of Oldham soon after the takeover in 1976 soon after this photo was taken the name was changed to J L Townson Tankers Ltd Oldham & Heysham but they kept the Randell livery until 1980 when Sadlers took them over.Photo from HCJuly edition.This motor was driven from new by Ken Moss a Morecambe based driver.

Volvo F86 pulling a Charles Roberts Engineering tank. Chris

Scan0002.jpg

Corralls Volvo F7 on Contract to Mobil Oils. Interesting to see hose-reel delivery from rear cabinet, most Domestic Fuel/Oil delivery tankers had the hose mounted on the front of the tank. Chris

Scan0003.jpg

adr:
Scammell R8 belonging to Bulk Liquid Transport of Gildersome nr Leeds. Chris

Sister motor to this one was run from the Manchester Garage Reg number started with PYG .So it was only right that it was known as the Pig
the garage was in lower brougton on the far side of the river and the park at the cresant.

Found this while sorting out Dad’s stuff He passed away last Nov
He drove for Monkton Motors based out of Southampton,

Mum got a phone call thru a neighbour as my sister who was on a toddler pulled the phone cable out of the wall.
Regards
Jeremy

I never went in that lorry but remember many hrs on the bonnet of the AEC Mk5 Park Royal Mandator up to PD at Purfleet spent our time there helping Sam weigh the lorries in on the weighbridge, 1 of those old counter balance jobs with shiny brass levers My brothers 2 yrs older could reach the tons so I had to do the cwt, We also took turn on giving Dad directions thru London so great help when I started driving up there I almost knew all the cut thrus
Jeremy

haulmaster:
hi does anyone remember my late father Alan brooks who worked for S&R/Brentwood depot 1970/1992? also dennis yeatman/jimmy saville lookalike with tatoos and bling.he still drives tankers with myself for Abbeyroadtanks Purfleet depot,

Hi I remember Brooksie well, my name is Bruce and I remember you sleeping in my cab at the pub near the truckstop in Crick, I don’t remember much as we were all ■■■■■■ up as usual!! I think your dads heater had broken down. Hope your ok. Bruce

adr:
AP Didcot. Chris

Hi Chris, haven’t been in touch with you for a while. I like the picture of the ERF loading at Didcot, I’d left AP by then as we only had Atkinson s.hope you’re well Dave.

I saw this today, you don’t see many around now, especially not in this condition

Dallan:
Picture of my Robert Armstrong Liverpool truck.About 1978

This would be legal now running at 42 Ton of Wine or Whisky