Talk about a rip off

As a few of you know I’ve got an XF105 that’s just turned 1 year old.

While loading my gear in tonight as I pulled the side locker release I thought “that doesn’t feel right”. Further investigation revealed a tiny spring in the locking mechanism had snapped leaving me unable to close the locker door.

I thought I’d call into Harris DAF in Thurrock on my way through to grab a couple of replacement springs as it would only be a 5 min fix.

Now although the parts man couldn’t have been more helpful it turns out the springs aren’t available desperately and there solution is a replacement mechanism at £40.

What a rip off for something that could be repaired in 5 mins with a part that would only cost a few pence.

Now although its not my money I’m going to try and see if I can source a spring elsewhere before phoning in and requesting the £40 lock mech. needs ordering.

Cheers
Neilf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

has the spring snapped in half? or is it just one end that’s gone?
if it’s just the end, then you could bend it, just end up with a shorter spring.

they are all the same, complete rip off merchants.

VELCRO thats a rip off :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Alot of money an hassle just for a simple enough fix.

Tragic.

you see this day and age every thing has to be done to a time so nothing gets mended just replace the part they aint mechanics anymore just fitters

Just buy an assorted box of springs from the workshop supplies lads, will be about 10-20 quid for a whole assortment.

Try a good old-fashioned hardware store, it’s amazing what they usually have stashed in boxes around the back.

Had one go on mine and new 1 fitted under warranty.

neilf:
As a few of you know I’ve got an XF105 that’s just turned 1 year old.

While loading my gear in tonight as I pulled the side locker release I thought “that doesn’t feel right”. Further investigation revealed a tiny spring in the locking mechanism had snapped leaving me unable to close the locker door.

I thought I’d call into Harris DAF in Thurrock on my way through to grab a couple of replacement springs as it would only be a 5 min fix.

Now although the parts man couldn’t have been more helpful it turns out the springs aren’t available desperately and there solution is a replacement mechanism at £40.

What a rip off for something that could be repaired in 5 mins with a part that would only cost a few pence.

Now although its not my money I’m going to try and see if I can source a spring elsewhere before phoning in and requesting the £40 lock mech. needs ordering.

Cheers
Neilf

still comes under warranty, get your local dealer to sort it

BIRD IN THURROCK is worth one tho

Warranty is great if you can get into a dealer.

I was more worried about the security issue and generally amazed that a dealer would recommend a £40 replacement part when a 20p spring would have done the job.

By the way I sorted it today by bending a new hook into the snapped end of the spring. Only lost 1 coil and seems to work perfectly.

Mind you have to take half the truck apart to get onto the torx screws that secure the mechanism. Converted mine to plain hex screws that can be tightened easily with the truck in one piece as I suspect it will happen again in the future.

Just got to find a replacement spring now but shouldn’t be to difficult.

I’m working on the theory that nothing will break if you carry a spare part.

Cheers
Neilf

neilf:
Warranty is great if you can get into a dealer.

I was more worried about the security issue and generally amazed that a dealer would recommend a £40 replacement part when a 20p spring would have done the job.

By the way I sorted it today by bending a new hook into the snapped end of the spring. Only lost 1 coil and seems to work perfectly.

Mind you have to take half the truck apart to get onto the torx screws that secure the mechanism. Converted mine to plain hex screws that can be tightened easily with the truck in one piece as I suspect it will happen again in the future.

Just got to find a replacement spring now but shouldn’t be to difficult.

I’m working on the theory that nothing will break if you carry a spare part.

Cheers
Neilf

Working on that theory carry a spare compressor, air drier , and every other air valve. You will need them on a Daf. :imp: :imp: :smiley: :smiley: regards kevmac47.