Taking the wrong Trailer

Made a major boo boo ,hooked up to the wrong trailer, got into work 05:00am got paperwork for trailer no 3112. Right next to it in the yard trailer 3122.

Yep took the wrong trailer, :frowning: :frowning: no:3122

I realised my mistake 10 mins later when i opened the back door to check the load was secure :unamused:

Easy mistake to make :open_mouth: :open_mouth: Could have been much worse!

done that myself, trailers were shunted and parked on the lorry park at hulland products nr derby so we often strapped the load and closed the curtains and collected the paperwork the night before, then went home in the unit to have 9/11 hrs rest, some of the trailers were the same apart from the trailer no on the front corner which was quite clear as number plates were used, this never usually caused a problem until you got a bit of fifth wheel grease on the number 9 making it read 8 at 2.30 am in the rain!
got to the m11 heading for rochford before I noticed, no problem I thought I will ring up to see where trailer 9 is going, most likely Essex somewhere, wrong 3 drops round stoke on trent!
lost money as an o/d that day!

Been there, done that, the secret is to slip back to the yard quietly and do the swop :wink:

it takes a while to slip back to north of Derby from Duxford! LOL

cairnryan to Deeside,with the other dude cairnryan to east Kilbrideā€¦trip money was pish that weekā€¦ :unamused:

I sent a fork lift truck to Germany instead of Holland once :blush:
I owned up and they ended up selling it to the German company for more than the Dutch company paid, then refunded the Dutch companyā€¦phew :laughing:
Same type of flt just similar fleet numbers :blush:

Not a problem as long as itā€™s sorted before you get out the gateā€¦ Get to the delivery and youā€™re a scrscrewdriver!

Moose:

True, the worst part is making the phone call :blush:

When I was on bulk tippers, somebody took the wrong trailer all the way to Italy. What made it worse was that the trailer he was supposed to take was maximum weight, and this would have been all over the paperwork, whereas the trailer he took was empty. Nobody could understand how he got all the way there without suspecting something was wrong, an empty bulk tipper trailer bangs and clangs non-stop, and going up Mont Blanc at 60 mph ought to have been a clue. :stuck_out_tongue:

Big Roy:

Moose:

True, the worst part is making the phone call :blush:

I didnā€™t make the callā€¦i had to take it as the 1st dude had already left with my trailer,and the one I lifted had a 3 and a 8 back to front,it was the only one remotely like it in the docks,hence I took it as it was only shipped an hour before I got there.unknown to me,the other dude had watched the trailers come off the boat,and took the one he thought was hisā€¦so he got the big bollox,and I got the little bolloxā€¦ :smiley:

Iā€™ve never picked up the wrong trailer but a few weeks ago I tried to take the wrong truck! Iā€™d been using the canteen at a customers site and walked back across the yard to climb back in my motor and spent 10 minutes bending my key in both door locks until it dawned on me that another one of ours had pulled in two bays along and it was his I was trying to break into! :blush: :blush:

the maoster:
Iā€™ve never picked up the wrong trailer but a few weeks ago I tried to take the wrong truck! Iā€™d been using the canteen at a customers site and walked back across the yard to climb back in my motor and spent 10 minutes bending my key in both door locks until it dawned on me that another one of ours had pulled in two bays along and it was his I was trying to break into! :blush: :blush:

I did this the other week on a night out at Rownhams services. Wiggling my key in the passenger side trying to get in to someone elses motor that was the same colour and model as mine. So not only was it the wrong truck but I was also trying to get in the wrong side. Stone cold sober as wellā€¦ :blush:

Could be age but I was never a stranger to moments of incredible muppetry even when a young pup.

dieseldog999:
so he got the big bollox,and I got the little bolloxā€¦ :smiley:

so who felt the ā– ā– ā– ā–  :grimacing:

I once confused SL 665466 with 664566 or something very similar. Punched in the trailer number on the way out of the gate - and got the ERROR flash up on the consolā€¦
Put the wrong trailer back, picked up the right one, and I donā€™t even think anyone noticed - except the computer of course. :blush: :blush:

Can imagine it would be very easily done in some circumstances. Night, big hub, lots of traffic, youā€™ve finally found a place to park in for your break, youā€™re given the reg of the unit bringing your trailer in but not the trailer number, while youā€™re making your way from the office to your unit and negotiated your way round to pick up the trailer the other driver has dumped it in a row of about a dozen identical trailers and ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  off ā€¦not happened to me YET but I know it has happened ā€˜There but for the grace of God go Iā€™

Picked up a flatbed with timber on early one morning. Saw it was sheeted and strapped down and thought how nice it was of the shunter to do that for me and probably thought that as I was agency I wouldnā€™t be able to do it myself.

So I cheerily set off down the M62 and got an hour down the road then got a phone call from traffic at which time I then found out why it was sheeted and strapped down. Iā€™d found my trailer then reversed under the one next to it that the driver who was supposed to be taking it had sheeted down the night before. :blush: :blush: :laughing:

Had 2 agency lads last year take 2 deckers from willenhall to gretna night trunk, they were told go up swop with 2 scots trunks coming down and trot back.
Off they went got there un hitched parked up met the other trunks as they were off break first went to hookup drove back with eeach others trailers.
The scots lads tried to ring em but when they got back they said ā€œyou rang me was it urgentā€ err yes slightly lol .

A colleague went to get his trailer from a polystyrene meat container company in Bridgewater, hooked up the trailer and off he went to Scotlandā€¦ yep he got the wrong trailer, it was an empty one!!

In the late 80ā€™s I was sent to collect a bulk tank of scented oil from another wholesale suppliers for our customer , scented with roses ā€¦lucky the client tested it before we tipped into the factory tankā€¦wrong scent oil. And it was the suppliers first trial supply. ( and last I think ! )
Nice extra 600mile round trip for the old man to replace it on the hurry up and a trip for me to take the wrong scented one to its correct drop up near Liverpool ! It got us more work off the back of sorting it out same day for the client.
That was the joy of being an owner driver in those days.