Taking Pics

I was on the A483 Wrexham road today and a white haired chap was taking pics of trucks.I also seen him on the roundabout of the sliproad of the M56 at Ashville a while back.Anyone know who he is. :question: :question: :question:

BIGRIG:
I was on the A483 Wrexham road today and a white haired chap was taking pics of trucks.I also seen him on the roundabout of the sliproad of the M56 at Ashville a while back.Anyone know who he is. :question: :question: :question:

Is he still going? I think that’s the one who would start asking questions about loads and destinations when you were parked up and trying to relax. :unamused:

They’re not all locked up y’ know…

Saw one old bloke with grey hair. Socks and saddles and running shorts on the other day. He was taking pictures of trucks passing under a bridge overr the A1 gonerby moor the other day

Looked like a ride peedo!

What harm are they doing? I’ll gladly talk to these truck spotters. They are about the only members of the public who like us so show them a bit of respect unless you want everybody hating us. I wouldn’t personally be into taking photos of lorries but different strokes for different folks.

sammy:
What harm are they doing? I’ll gladly talk to these truck spotters. They are about the only members of the public who like us so show them a bit of respect unless you want everybody hating us. I wouldn’t personally be into taking photos of lorries but different strokes for different folks.

I don’t care if they like me or not, I want to be left alone. I’ll show people respect when they respect my privacy and the fact that I’m not there to entertain them.

Everybody hates us anyway, so no loss there. I don’t go to their workplaces and start photographing them and asking questions which are directly connected to their safety, and the security of their workplace.

If they like photographing vehicles that’s fine. Don’t involve others with unsolicited approaches.

We get a lot of photographers/enthusiasts at our head office; Occupational hazard of running Fodens. They’re no trouble and have a general interest in our wagons. Don’t see too many now the fibreglass cabbed ones have gone…

Happydaze:

sammy:

I don’t care if they like me or not, I want to be left alone. I’ll show people respect when they respect my privacy and the fact that I’m not there to entertain them.

Everybody hates us anyway, so no loss there. I don’t go to their workplaces and start photographing them and asking questions which are directly connected to their safety, and the security of their workplace.

If they like photographing vehicles that’s fine. Don’t involve others with unsolicited approaches.

You probably don’t go to their workplaces and ask questions because its of no interest to you what they do. The spotters on the other hand are interested in what we do weather we like it or not. If the’re not offensive in any way, i don’t see the problem in letting them do what they do. Its nice to be nice. :wink:

The majority if not most ‘lorry spotters’ are simply those whom aren’t old enough to drive a truck and it’s the closest we can get for the time being until we can at least that’s what it is for me anyway!

Although photography is still a handy skill to have. I only took photography up in 2010 when I went back to college to re-sit my gcses not having a clue about it other than pointing your camera at something and taking the picture.

I went from this

To this inside a year

Also in my year I’ve met some great people, including a small local haulage firm who the boss’s son took me on a trip with him down to purfleet and they have all the time in the world for people who share interest in the industry (And classic trucks for that matter!) While having some of my work published because I had the opportunity to do so, and if my work ever gets published again I’ll me more than happy but I can now say to myself I’ve accomplished something I always said I would do.

For the older guys doing it, I couldn’t comment on it but if we do go to a driver and ask where he’s going etc it’s simply because we’re just curious and interested (Although if a driver is busy I stay away and leave him to do his work) if anything while I’ve been the one taking pictures it’s drivers coming up to me asking about what i’m doing and where my interest in lorries came from etc asking why I’m taking the pictures. Also it’s nice for people to comment on the pictures especially of the older trucks when you get older/retired drivers who share their past experiences of what that photo reminds them of whether it be a trip with their parents or when they first started driving.

As for the miserable gits saying they don’t want us coming up to you asking questions, don’t worry it’s drivers like you I try to avoid. :grimacing:

Cheers

Jonny :sunglasses:

Well said!

damoq:

Happydaze:

sammy:

You probably don’t go to their workplaces and ask questions because its of no interest to you what they do. The spotters on the other hand are interested in what we do weather we like it or not. If the’re not offensive in any way, i don’t see the problem in letting them do what they do. Its nice to be nice. :wink:

I agree with you, I’m (I hope) generally nice to people but I’m a private person and I respect the privacy of others. I’ve had people come up to me and tell me which boat I came off last week or that I was on the A483, or whatever and how “that motor was nicer with the lower bar” etc etc. After a while it becomes a bit wearing and truth be told, a bit creepy especially when you’re way past tiredness and those images appear out of the gloaming (if you know what I mean). I always wonder why, if they’re so enamoured with HGV’s why don’t they get a licence and have a go?

Oh, I don’t have that problem any more. They tend not to go for skip lorries, result! :laughing:

Happydaze:

damoq:

Happydaze:

sammy:

I agree with you, I’m (I hope) generally nice to people but I’m a private person and I respect the privacy of others. I’ve had people come up to me and tell me which boat I came off last week or that I was on the A483, or whatever and how “that motor was nicer with the lower bar” etc etc. After a while it becomes a bit wearing and truth be told, a bit creepy especially when you’re way past tiredness and those images appear out of the gloaming (if you know what I mean). I always wonder why, if they’re so enamoured with HGV’s why don’t they get a licence and have a go?

Oh, I don’t have that problem any more. They tend not to go for skip lorries, result! :laughing:

I’ve never experienced having a spotter come up and question me about anything. Probably cos I only drive a fleet spec Renault Premium, and secondly, I don’t think the streets of Glasgow are where spotters like to spot either. So I can only take your word on how annoying it can be. Maybe they don’t want to get their HGV ticket because they know how screwed up the industry is. They know they will get more fun out of taking pictures than they would driving them for a living. :laughing:

Theres a spotter up round Blackford in perthshire stands on flyover just past highland spring on a9.seen another on m8 just before shotts junction.was one of our drivers who told me i was on his flicker site.

Ive had a photo of the truck i was driving taken last week on the A90 just outside Aberdeen…

The older guys are probably just a bit lonely, harmless past time in my opinon, maybe Ex drivers long retired

There’s worse things happening out there.

People taking photo’s of trucks? How strange… They’ll be having truck shows and magazines published about them next :laughing:

DAF95XF:
Ive had a photo of the truck i was driving taken last week on the A90 just outside Aberdeen…

Not sure speedcameras count!

Ive got nothing against just wondered who he was,he was waving to every trucker going past. :smiley:

DonutUK:

DAF95XF:

Not sure speedcameras count!

:laughing: very true

I started driving lorries in 63 and finished in 2003 most of that time was spent driving local and distance now and again I tried jobs away from haulage but allways ended back driving for approx.36yrs I have built model lorries and through that I started to take photos of lorries/trucks to help with working out scales etc. of diffrent motors and also they are handy when it comes to painting the model.
In time the photos became a hobby as well and I now through the internet have photos from all over the globe I mainly take photos of the motors on the move by the roadside as I dont like going about busy hauliers and wasting their time.So if you use the A76 through Sanquhar you might just become one of my victims so as the saying goes Keep On Trucking. Eddie.

erfguy:
I started driving lorries in 63 and finished in 2003 most of that time was spent driving local and distance now and again I tried jobs away from haulage but allways ended back driving for approx.36yrs I have built model lorries and through that I started to take photos of lorries/trucks to help with working out scales etc. of diffrent motors and also they are handy when it comes to painting the model.
In time the photos became a hobby as well and I now through the internet have photos from all over the globe I mainly take photos of the motors on the move by the roadside as I dont like going about busy hauliers and wasting their time.So if you use the A76 through Sanquhar you might just become one of my victims so as the saying goes Keep On Trucking. Eddie.

Good on you, I don’t and have never had a problem with that as long as the driver isn’t identifiable.

I often spend an hour just browsing through truck pics on the web, and it’s thanks to people like you that I can. I think you have the right approach and I hope you enjoy it for many more years to come! :slight_smile: