Taking left right hand turns best technique class 2

Hi whats the best technique in judging sharp turns in a rigid class 2, i was taught turn when your shoulder lines up with the kerb/ cenre line for right hand ones. Sounds easy & i suppose it is, but im not always getting this right. I heard another way of driving half way in your lane to turn.

I think its fear of the cab entering the other lane maybe, especially with on coming traffic, anyone else use another way?.

Turning left from one road into another …
Whenever possible never swan-neck by using the oncoming lane before turning but us the outgoing lane of the road you are going into because that means you have slower traffic to possibly contend with and it allows anyone coming out of the side road to turn right and get out of your way

When to turn depends on steering lock and wheelbase, in time you’ll just know.

As for swan necking (never come across that term before) try to avoid it. The only times you will really need to do it will be if you’re afraid of the tail sweep on your left (right turn) and you know you can make it if a car comes down the road you’re turning in. Oh and make sure you can see a long way up the road too. I’ve only ever done it once.

Best of luck.

DJC:
As for swan necking (never come across that term before)

Swinging right just before turning left = swan neck

When turning left ALWAYS take the extra room from the road you’re leaving NOT the road you’re turning into. Check offside mirror prior to turn because of rear end sweep then watch left mirror like your life depends on it during the turn. Keep the truck front end out close to centre line until you are certain you have missed the nearside curb.

LGVTrainer:
When turning left ALWAYS take the extra room from the road you’re leaving NOT the road you’re turning into.

If a driver does that and a few vehicles come quickly to the end of the road you are turning in to and want to turn right then the numpty lorry driver has blocked that option and if still needing a little of the side road then all are stuck and going nowhere !

Better to use the outgoing side of the side road because that leaves more options open unless bollards etc prevent the lorry using the outgoing side

Impossible to state the correct way on here because every junction differs and depends on size of truck and traffic within close proximity.

Try to not interfere with any other traffic so may need to use the hang back position and wait.

Cheers

Paul

Ask your trainer. If he cant explain it, sack him! The subject is far too complex to cover on a forum though John and ROG have had a good go. Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Thanks for the replys, i think driving half way into the oncoming lane (after checking for oncoming lane traffic) before doing the turn may be the easiest, that way you keep your field of vision ahead, before checking mirrors of course.

gats15:
Thanks for the replys, i think driving half way into the oncoming lane (after checking for oncoming lane traffic) before doing the turn may be the easiest, that way you keep your field of vision ahead, before checking mirrors of course.

Certainly one idea but what happens if another vehicle gets to the give way line to turn right in the road you want to go in to ?

You are blocking where they want to go and they are blocking where you want to go … oops !

If you had stayed in your lane and waited for them to exit and go around you then you will have the space they left to use for your turn

What if what if, what if!!! This is what you’re paying your trainer for. Advice given on here has all been correct but will not apply to every situation. This is why you have practical training. Can’t be learnt out of a book or from a forum.

What will be 100% correct for one situation (eg taking up some of the oncoming lane) may well be totally inappropriate at another junction.

You really must get this sorted with your trainer; anything else is likely to end in tears.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

LINK
If going to turn left at the post box in the link above I would stay in my lane then use the outgoing lane from that side road because another could get to the end of that road and want to turn right and if I had moved out to turn them we would both be screwed

That is one scenario but there are so many different ones that I can only say what I would do in that scenario

I have done that turn in both artic and rigid

I may have read his wrong but here goes with my bit that might help :

look in your mirrors at your rear wheels , for a left turn if you keep your back wheels running in line with the lines of the turn (a drains width or along the yellow lines ) you will be able to judge when to turn your steering wheel and then after a few will have a feel for the right amount of road you need to claim to make the turn, same as you turn right look in them mirrors to see where the back wheels are , hope that makes sense and havent confused you more

good luck :smiley:

LGVTrainer:
When turning left ALWAYS take the extra room from the road you’re leaving NOT the road you’re turning into. Check offside mirror prior to turn because of rear end sweep then watch left mirror like your life depends on it during the turn. Keep the truck front end out close to centre line until you are certain you have missed the nearside curb.

thx very much dude/ Users of this Site are really Great.