Taking a Unit to Truck Shows- is this work?

A couple of our lads want to do some truck shows this year - I think that is a great idea - but what do they need to tacho wise when they are driving the unit to and from the show?

Tacho needs to be used and it will impede on their weekly rest period when driving to and from the show. Not sure about how they’ll come on when driving round the show ground.

It’s a daft rule, But you can’t even nip down the shops or clean your lorry without it being classed as driving or other work.

xfmatt:
Tacho needs to be used and it will impede on their weekly rest period when driving to and from the show. Not sure about how they’ll come on when driving round the show ground.

Would that not be “out of scope” driving?

if vosa considered it as work I would of thought they would be advising everyone who visit their stand at most of the truck show’s of that and they don’t, well they have never said that to me when I have had a chat to the officers there, yes the time driving to and back to the show would be classed as work, so your total break for the weekend would be effected, but if you arrived on a Friday night by say six your 45 would be up by 3 on the Sunday, the only problem could be the hours you have driven over a fixed week but if that was, just pull outside and leave after mid night or when ever in the morning, I don’t understand some people that get so worried about this, its been done to death on here in the past with people saying the whole weekend should be classed as other work etc, just because your polishing your truck never heard so much bull that comes out of people on here.
if like me you enjoy going and having a few beers and a laugh just carry on your not being paid for being there, you can freely dispose of your time so that’s all that matters :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

as for the tacho bit take your card out when you get there, before you leave if you were lucky enough to get asked to do the parade do a print out and write why the truck was moved i.e at truck show and leave it at that :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

wildfire:
if vosa considered it as work I would of thought they would be advising everyone who visit their stand at most of the truck show’s of that and they don’t, well they have never said that to me when I have had a chat to the officers there, yes the time driving to and back to the show would be classed as work, so your total break for the weekend would be effected, but if you arrived on a Friday night by say six your 45 would be up by 3 on the Sunday, the only problem could be the hours you have driven over a fixed week but if that was, just pull outside and leave after mid night or when ever in the morning, I don’t understand some people that get so worried about this, its been done to death on here in the past with people saying the whole weekend should be classed as other work etc, just because your polishing your truck never heard so much bull that comes out of people on here.
if like me you enjoy going and having a few beers and a laugh just carry on your not being paid for being there, you can freely dispose of your time so that’s all that matters :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

+1 Record you’re driving there and back, also the mileage and the rest of the weekend is youre’s to enjoy :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

There is no legal exemption for private driving in a LGV where the GVW is over 7.5 tonnes = fact = written in 561/2006

ROG:
There is no legal exemption for private driving in a LGV where the GVW is over 7.5 tonnes = fact = written in 561/2006

I don’t think anyone said there was an exemption :confused: :confused:

wildfire:

ROG:

It would need one to be classed as rest which is what the OP asked about

ROG:

wildfire:

ROG:

It would need one to be classed as rest which is what the OP asked about

confusion over driving to and from me thinks. as I said in my answer until you arrive it’s classed as driving/work and cannot be any other thing, once onsite it’s break :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

do print out,write on bottom private mileage,used unit to travel to show,same comin back,job done,some people try to make things too complicated :unamused:

Davyboy:
do print out,write on bottom private mileage,used unit to travel to show,same comin back,job done,some people try to make things too complicated :unamused:

That would be illegal if saying that its not driving time for the regs

Hiya one show i go to the modern trucks get on the showground friday afternoon and leave late
sunday or early monday.
now the polishing, it seems the wives do most of that, along with the white lettering on the tyres.
its been known to see vosa pull lorries over to check whether they drive for a living.
they stopped me one year in my DAF, just told them i did,nt work any longer and was just useing up
some diesel joy rideing.
John

never used a tacho when i used one of my trucks to do house removal for myself “why would you” not hire and reward …

cliffystephens:
" not hire and reward …

Tachograph regs refer to goods vehicles over 3.5t regardless of hire and reward unless it’s the private use exemption which, as said, is limited to 7.5t.

limeyphil:
It’s a daft rule, But you can’t even nip down the shops or clean your lorry without it being classed as driving or other work.

True :exclamation:
it’s the same rule here, we can log out and drive to a diner or facilities, but bobtail only, I can drop my empty trailer 15 miles away from my house at a truck stop, log out and bobtail home, then return next shift.
When I worked for Fed Ex / Matchbox contract in Rugby they enterd me in British driver of the year at Cowley, I was allowed to take the tractor and trailer home on the Friday evening, drive to Oxford for the competition on the Sunday, return home and drive back to Rugby on the Monday without using the tacho.
It was classed as show or exhibition which does not fequire one.

cliffystephens:
never used a tacho when i used one of my trucks to do house removal for myself “why would you” not hire and reward …

Not being hire or reward is not an exemption from tacho rules for vehicles over 7500kg MGW. Even if you have one purely as a toy that never does a day’s paid work in its life you still have to use a tacho and abide by all the rules.

Paul

limeyphil:

I’d agree with the first but I’m not so sure about the second. I would say that since a lorry doesn’t need to be cleaned, it’s a voluntary exercise and so fits in with the requirement to dispose of your rest time as you choose. I don’t think “other work” is actually defined in precise terms.

limeyphil:

try telling that to my missus when she wants just nipping to the shops :smiley:

repton:

cliffystephens:

Not being hire or reward is not an exemption from tacho rules for vehicles over 7500kg MGW. Even if you have one purely as a toy that never does a day’s paid work in its life you still have to use a tacho and abide by all the rules.

Paul

how long has this been happening… :blush: